Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I might...if I thought the sticker was esp clever or witty or I had some connection.
I've commented on funny stickers before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 02:12 PM

226 posts, read 413,522 times
Political? No. Roll eyes and move on.

I might make a comment if see a rival sticker though. (cowgirls, iggles, giants)

Old 09-04-2013, 02:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber clever user name View Post
I am tempted to at times. For instance yesterday I saw an "Obama 2012" sticker and was tempted to ask the man behind the wheel if he was planning on scraping it off any time soon. I didn't do it but I wouldn't have much of a problem with asking. I mean, you're basically advertising your political views when you slap on stickers in such a visible place, right? So you should be able to defend your position at all times.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I voted for the POTUS the first time but not the second. Drone attacks and continuation of Dubya's neocon policies were a bit too much for me. So please don't accuse me of being a 'bagger...
I wouldn't think of confronting someone because of a sticker on their car. What if it was there when they bought it? Doesn't mean they support what it says but I guess they could scrape it off. When I was about 12 I put one on my dad's bumper. Boy, was he mad! I guess he didn't "Like Ike". He made me scrape it off and it wasn't easy!

I comment on a lot of tee shirts I see. I like the one with a 'frowny' sun that says "I'm just a freakin' ball of sunshine!".

Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Obama bumper stickers don't look nearly as silly as the Romney ones I still see plastered on cars all over the south.

But, no, I don't comment, especially on political or religious ones. If I disagree with their message, I might not let you merge in front of me though.

I never understood the desire to plaster your car with the things. I can't imagine anybody on the road particularly cares about my affiliations.
I laughed one day when I was stopped at a red light. The car in front of me had an Obama sticker and the one next to it had a Romney sticker. I live in a red state so, yeah, I still see Romney stickers all over the place.

I won't put stickers on my car. Maybe I'm just not 'passionate' enough about anything to do that.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:24 PM

32 posts, read 44,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
I don't confront people about things that aren't a big deal. Why fight with someone over something as silly as a bumper sticker?

I've had people ask me what graduating class of "StarFleet Academy" I was in though due to mine
I didn't get the last part. Is that a Trekkie geek joke?

Where did you see the word "fight" in the OP? The things people read into...The very title says COMMENT. Commenting and fighting are worlds apart, mon cherie...

Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM

287 posts, read 237,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 mules and 1 acre View Post
I didn't get the last part. Is that a Trekkie geek joke?

Where did you see the word "fight" in the OP? The things people read into...The very title says COMMENT. Commenting and fighting are worlds apart, mon cherie...

OMG, if you are going to act so dense as to not know that fighting and arguing are synonyms then I will show you the dictionary page (so you don't have to do something so strenuous)

fight

/faɪt/ Show Spelled [fahyt] Show IPA noun, verb, fought, fight·ing.
noun 1. a battle or combat.

2. any contest or struggle: a fight for recovery from an illness.

3. an angry argument or disagreement: Whenever we discuss politics, we end up in a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 mules and 1 acre View Post
Why would you give a thumbs up to that lie and arrogance?
The same reason people like you give thumbs up to the lies and arrogance that organized religion bestows upon its subjects

Old 09-04-2013, 04:36 PM

32 posts, read 44,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver8ack View Post
OMG, if you are going to act so dense as to not know that fighting and arguing are synonyms then I will show you the dictionary page (so you don't have to do something so strenuous)

fight

/faɪt/ [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html"][/URL] Show Spelled [fahyt] [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html"][/URL] Show IPA noun, verb, fought, fight·ing.
noun 1. a battle or combat.

2. any contest or struggle: a fight for recovery from an illness.

3. an angry argument or disagreement: Whenever we discuss politics, we end up in a fight.

The same reason people like you give thumbs up to the lies and arrogance that organized religion bestows

upon its subjects
I don't have enough face to palm here The OP said do we COMMENT to people on their bumper stickers. Since when is COMMENTING synonymous with FIGHTING, Bubba?

And newsflash for ya: I am not into organized religion but I believe in Source Energy. Put that in your crack pipe and smoke it.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I would only comment if I thought it was funny (one of my favorites: "Yes, this is my pickup. No, I won't help you move"). To me it's no different than a T-shirt someone is wearing with a political slogan or anything else they liked. There were plenty of times I wanted to approach someone in a Giants or Cowboys jersey or fan flag on their car and say "They s*ck!" but I don't want to get beat up, so I refrain, lol. No different than a political sticker IMO, people are entitled to their viewpoints, however wrong they may be.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM

219 posts, read 657,945 times
Political, religious (or anti-religious) no. I think those are silly and nothing worth getting into an argument over.

Well....actually...I think it would be a rather interesting premise for a short documentary or internet film project --- go around and film yourself confronting people on their bumper stickers and see what they say. Honestly, I bet you'd find that a lot of them don't walk the walk.

"so I notice your bumper sticker says that your Jeep is a "Hummer recovery vehicle" where's your favorite place to offroad?"

"I, uh...well, you see...I....I have to return some video tapes, bye!"

I do love clever, clean fun, non-offensive stickers though. And if I saw one that I liked and I had the chance to approach the car's owner in a non awkward way (ex. walking by in a parking lot while they are loading their car) sure, yea, I would give em a compliment.

One time I did comment on a guy's sticker, I said that I'd seen that sticker before but I couldn't remember what it was from. He mentioned that it was a Grateful Dead sticker and that he was a huge fan. After saying that, he looked at me with the most disappointed look on his face, lmao.

Really bummed me out too because I try to listen to all kinds of music, and one day I had listened to tons of Grateful Dead just trying so hard to like them. I still think they are a bit boring but I did know about them,just not enough to remember the symbol =p

Old 09-04-2013, 05:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Back when cars had radio antennas, I've had one bent double when I've had a bumper sticker that said something I can't even recall. That was thirty five years ago when most people were relatively sane so there's no way I would comment on a bumper sticker nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships