Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM

501 posts, read 933,059 times

Advertisements

I should mention a couple of things. First of all, it was taking me about an hour to an hour each evening to do the dishes, which I was happy to do but a big time commitment after I finished work for the day. Trying to go through and scrub all of the dishes prior to putting them into the dishwasher would have taken an extra 15 to 20 minutes each evening, and I wasn't interested in stretching out the time it spent to clean the dishes any longer.

Also, my MIL didn't actually ever do dishes. She loafed on the sofa and watched TV, and the dishes simply piled up in the kitchen. Sometims there were no dishes for me to use, so I'd have to grab a dirty one from the counters, wash it quickly, and then use it. I'm not keen on following instructions from folks that loaf on sofas and have very specific and exacting instructions for others.

Isn't it rather gross and unsanitary to simply leave dirty dishes on your counters for days on end? Is that really worse than putting unrinsed dishes in a (properly working) dishwasher?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Not the point. Her house, her rules. It's a good thing you are no longer subject to her hospitality.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I think what is going on here is that you feel superior to your MIL, and instead of being thankful that she gave you a roof over your head, you have chosen to call her out as a pig and continue on your high horse this way even years later.

Your attitude sucks.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
I absolutely hate the fact that dishwashers don't wash dirty dishes. I could respond by just scrubbing them before loading the dishwasher, but I find that I resent it less if I just send them through again if they come out dirty.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Point 1:

We never use the dishwasher. When the dishes hit the counter they are rinsed off of all food in anticipation of being washed. Normally that would be as soon as they are delivered to the counter after the meal. Still if time does not permit, they will be ready and food free when we do clean them. Prerinsing them after using them makes it so much easier to clean them. I hate to have to sit and scrub dried food particles off a plate or pan for that matter. After each meal our kitchen is cleaned, dishes are washed and drying.

Point 2:

Lucky you that you have failed at doing dishes in your MIL's eyes. Better to fail at that in your wifes eyes. The more things that you can't do the less you will have to worry about at your home. I wouldn't look at that as a bad thing. Run with that. Enjoy your freedom.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM

501 posts, read 933,059 times
Quote:
The more things that you can't do the less you will have to worry about at your home.
Well, I taught my wife that scraping the food off is sufficient and the dishes still come out clean, with the exception of certain foods like sticky rice and oatmeal. Those need to be cleaned prior. It took a couple years, but once the kid came around and we no longer have much time, she is all in favor of less time spent doing dishes.

Today she thinks its crazy to rinse and clean dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Letting food harden on the dishes for a long time (like all day), while sitting on the counter or in the sink, would make the dishes hard to clean, than simply not pre-washing them. That said, I still pre-wash. I look at the dishwasher more like a sanitizer.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
This is another case where a friend's sage advice comes to mind. "There are two ways to do this: My way and do it yourself."

They'd rather do it themselves. Good. Now you don't have to bother with it when you visit.

I might have found something else to help with, though, something that doesn't have a "method," like, say, taking out the trash or running out to get dry-cleaning.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Nobody ever lives up to kitchen tyrants' expectations. You have the perfect excuse to leave her alone to manage her dishwasher as she sees fit. I see no problem.
I take back my answer, because I was answering as if the OP went over for dinner from time to time. I see now that he or she was living there at the time. Staying with someone for a few weeks moves you from "houseguest" (cleanup is the host's job) to "temporary roommate" (put up and pitch in). Helping with chores is to be expected of everybody living there. I still think that some people are very fussy micromanagers but it's not a big deal to do it her way.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:43 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I always stick my dishes in a pan of soapy water before loading them in the dishwasher. They aren't actually washed, but there's nothing worse than a dish coming out of the dishwasher that has food baked on it. Much more work to get that off than giving them a quick rinsing before loading. If a helper stuck them in the dishwasher without rinsing, I'd let them know my preference that they rinse first. If they wanted to argue with me that it wasn't necessary, I'd thank them for their offer of help, but tell them not to bother, and I'd load the dishwasher myself.

I don't take guests up on their offer to clean up after a get together. I prefer to putt, take my time and do it my way. To me, it's relaxing after entertaining and a good way to wind down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships