Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM

501 posts, read 933,194 times

Advertisements

Sometimes, you run into in-laws (spouses family) who are more needy, and would like you to take care of them, either emotionally, financially, or physically.

Why do you take care of them, or why do you not?

The baseline assumption for this discussion is that your in-laws are asking something from you that you are more able to provide than your spouse is. So if they're asking for financial help, you are the one who is most able to support, or if they are asking for physical help, you are better able to provide that help than your spouse
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,465 times
I helped care for my in-laws for the past 10 years or so. I did not do it for any reason but because they deserved our respect and help. They treated me like a daughter from day one. From almost the day my husband and I were married and until she died, we helped my mother financially and he loved me enough to do that. I loved him enough to help take care of his parents.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Absolutely. They supported my wife through the first 22 years of her life in every way imaginable. Why wouldn't I support them in a reasonable manner? Assuming that they aren't living in a foolhardy manner, I can't conceive of not helping.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
if you are talking about money, our accounts have been joined as long as we've been married. there is no his and mine. if either of our parents needed help, we'd help if able.

my mother took care of her mother in law's finances and care for several years. my dad was there, but it was stuff my mom was just better at so she did most of the bill paying and appointment scheduling.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Yes. You don't just marry a person, you marry into a family. Their obligations become your own. There are no caveats in the phrase "for better or worse". Sometimes, you suck up the worse.

My own husband wasn't terribly fond of his mother, she was in and out of mental institutions while he was growing up. But, he was there when she needed him, and, as his partner in life, so was I.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,659 times
"Obligated" maybe not
When your spouses's parents become your in-laws, they become part of your family of relatives. Family helps family If you can help, you help.

If your sibling needs help, do you point to your parents and say they should help them, I'm not.

There is no hierarchy of who should help first.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
there is no his and mine.
This ^^^.

My MIL helped me through all my pregnancies since my own mother lived out of town. They have cared for my children more times than I can count.

We view marriage as a partnership and family. Finances are "ours," and relatives are too.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
My mother had a terrible relationship with her MIL. My grandmother was mean and nasty to her. My mother still took care of her while she was in the final years of ALS. My grandmother finally came to love and respect my mother, and my mother was able to forgive her. Family is Family.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
Not obligated, no.
I doubt that there ever comes a time I'm doing something because I feel I have to.
I would never go broke or give up my own life to do so.
I do what I can, because I want to.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Sometimes, you run into in-laws (spouses family) who are more needy, and would like you to take care of them, either emotionally, financially, or physically.

Why do you take care of them, or why do you not?

The baseline assumption for this discussion is that your in-laws are asking something from you that you are more able to provide than your spouse is. So if they're asking for financial help, you are the one who is most able to support, or if they are asking for physical help, you are better able to provide that help than your spouse
They are considered your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships