Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:20 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
You can say it all you want. You may even believe it. But somewhere inside you, maybe in a place you dont recognize and maybe in a really weird and unlikely scenario, you want to have sex with her. Her boyfriend knows this because hes a guy and hence he doesnt want his woman speaking to another guy. I know you dont believe this, but its true.

Imagine you had a great evening, one of those that you never want to end. As friends you laughed and had a great time, drank a bit too much and now shes back in your room to get something she forgot. One or both of you are going to make a move and either way, your not stopping.

Well when you are platonic friends with a woman, there is one main unwritten rule

"you never spend time alone at her place or your place"

You meet each other out in public to have a good time. There is no reason for a woman who is a platonic friend to be spending time at my apartment. NONE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
You can say it all you want. You may even believe it. But somewhere inside you, maybe in a place you dont recognize and maybe in a really weird and unlikely scenario, you want to have sex with her. Her boyfriend knows this because hes a guy and hence he doesnt want his woman speaking to another guy. I know you dont believe this, but its true.

Imagine you had a great evening, one of those that you never want to end. As friends you laughed and had a great time, drank a bit too much and now shes back in your room to get something she forgot. One or both of you are going to make a move and either way, your not stopping.
I don't think that's true of everyone. If the OP has been friends with this woman for 13 years, and she hasn't always had a boyfriend in that time, then the opportunities were there. Just like men can be pals with their own sisters and female cousins, they can have friends that are like sisters more than anything.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 AM

24 posts, read 87,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I ask this because every single time I talk to my platonic friend on the phone all of a sudden when her live in boyfriend pulls up she has to end the call?? Now I don't expect the conversation to continue for much longer by why the sudden end to a long and fun conversation? She makes me feel like she is going to be abused if he finds out she is talking to a guy. But even if he is home and she wanted to call me about the game, she can't do that because she has a man???

We are platonic friends and the last time we saw each other was 2008. We will be talking and then we he pulls up she is like................"I gotta go" and then the conversation is over lol

Or if she is not home yet and he is already home, she ends the call before goes inside the house. Why can't she just tell her boyfriend that she is talking with her friend of 13 years??

And everytime i talk to her I try to talk fast because i know the conversation will end any minute so I told her I need to create a notepad so I will know what to talk about when I saw her calling. lol

As my grandmom would say......"Have you ever heard of such a thing??
I'll add my 2 cents. I have 2 male platonic friends, I've been friends with BOTH all of my adult life. If I was on the phone with one of them & the other beeped in, well, basically one would get mad & one wouldn't. No matter what the scenerio.
HUGE difference, I was married to 1 & engaged to the other....years ago.
But my point is that some are the jealous type & some aren't. And if you have been friends for 13 yrs.....NO sexual tension on either one of your parts? I just remained friends with these 2 guys, but 1 I was friends with for 10 yrs before we got engaged, then broke up but remained friends. The other guy I was married to when I was young & we still talk all the time (we have a son together, but he is grown). One of them would go nuts if I switched over to talk to the other. The other one would say "Call me later".
I think some guys are just jealous. Oh, the one who goes nuts is my X-Husband. He HATES my friend even though we were totally platonic before, during, & after my marriage to him. I was engaged to my "platonic" friend YEARS after my divorce. I've known him since I was 19 (longer).
It's hard to explain to a even a little bit jealous boyfriend why you are talking to another guy on the phone! That's NOW. When I was married if I talked to my friend since I was 19 things would get broken! If I talked to my X-husband when I was engaged to my friend since I was 19, he wouldn't like it, but he would definitely shrug it off.
I think he's jealous and/or she doesn't want to explain why she's talking to another man! Oh, and these relationships were totally platonic in between, no monkey business, haha

Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovehope View Post
I'll add my 2 cents. I have 2 male platonic friends, I've been friends with BOTH all of my adult life. If I was on the phone with one of them & the other beeped in, well, basically one would get mad & one wouldn't. No matter what the scenerio.
HUGE difference, I was married to 1 & engaged to the other....years ago.
But my point is that some are the jealous type & some aren't. And if you have been friends for 13 yrs.....NO sexual tension on either one of your parts? I just remained friends with these 2 guys, but 1 I was friends with for 10 yrs before we got engaged, then broke up but remained friends. The other guy I was married to when I was young & we still talk all the time (we have a son together, but he is grown). One of them would go nuts if I switched over to talk to the other. The other one would say "Call me later".
I think some guys are just jealous. Oh, the one who goes nuts is my X-Husband. He HATES my friend even though we were totally platonic before, during, & after my marriage to him. I was engaged to my "platonic" friend YEARS after my divorce. I've known him since I was 19 (longer).
It's hard to explain to a even a little bit jealous boyfriend why you are talking to another guy on the phone! That's NOW. When I was married if I talked to my friend since I was 19 things would get broken! If I talked to my X-husband when I was engaged to my friend since I was 19, he wouldn't like it, but he would definitely shrug it off.
I think he's jealous and/or she doesn't want to explain why she's talking to another man! Oh, and these relationships were totally platonic in between, no monkey business, haha

I always joke with her and say "Are you sure he didn't he snatch the phone out of your hand" when you were talking to me?" LOL

Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Well when you are platonic friends with a woman, there is one main unwritten rule

You meet each other out in public to have a good time. There is no reason for a woman who is a platonic friend to be spending time at my apartment. NONE
Why would you have that "unwritten rule"?..why can't a platonic friend come to your apartment?..Simply by having those "rules" you are showing the same lack of trust that your friends boyfriend is when you talk to her all the time when he's not there. Why is that?..why are you only her friend...and not his?.Are you trying to jeopardize her relationship with her lover just so's you can keep her for a longtime "platonic" friend?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Why would you have that "unwritten rule"?..why can't a platonic friend come to your apartment?..Simply by having those "rules" you are showing the same lack of trust that your friends boyfriend is when you talk to her all the time when he's not there. Why is that?..why are you only her friend...and not his?.Are you trying to jeopardize her relationship with her lover just so's you can keep her for a longtime "platonic" friend?

Because that's not what platonic friends do only if you are romantically involved. I think it would be arkward for someone who is a platonic friend to be at my place alone. Only in public and over the phone.

And I agree I should be introduced to him since we been friends so long

Old 09-08-2013, 11:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Because that's not what platonic friends do only if you are romantically involved. I think it would be arkward for someone who is a platonic friend to be at my place alone. Only in public and over the phone.

And I agree I should be introduced to him since we been friends so long
Using your logic I must have put myself into so many compromising situations over the years by having friends' husbands and partners visit my place - and destroyed hundreds of relationships doing so. I even had an ex-fiancé spend the night at my house without his wife not once but twice!

And if you want to be introduced to your friend's husband why don't you go and visit them or have them come and visit you? You said you haven't seen her in five years so what are you waiting for?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:

Why not? You are just friends, like you and your male buddies.

OK, kidding. You know why not. That was my point.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Your response is almost abrasive which is confusing. I have no argument with your hypothetical scenarios, was simply adding another.
I think you are simply ascribing a tone to a forum post that was not there. A common error on internet forums.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:07 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:

The fact that you even need such a rule is proof that there is a sexual element there. You are treating her differently than you would a guy friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships