U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 PM

3,630 posts, read 7,243,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Counseling/professional help only works if the son believes he has a problem.

Based on what the OP describes, he seems to be in his right mind. He just expects the OP and her husband to support him for the rest of his life.
Why wouldn't he - that's the message they've been giving him his whole adult life.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:37 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,899,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
You reap what you sow......you "raised" the beast now suffer your consequences.
Yeah, should have thought of this a LONG time ago. If this is even real, why are you just NOW doing something about this? Although really you are not, you are asking on a forum.

If this is real, the only thing to do is move to the 55+ community. Still then, I'm sure you are worried about poor junior, like, oh no I can't do that, what will junior do?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:08 PM

4,220 posts, read 3,589,368 times
You must show tough love and not fear the inevitable. Even if he ends up in a homeless shelter when someone becomes disrespectful and not thankful, they must go. Sometimes it takes something hard to make a person appreciate what they had. It will be hard emotional but you must let him go.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,492,995 times
What i cant figure out is what the OP is doing on this forum posting when their arrogant punk of a son is sitting on the sofa needing his chin and arse

WIPED!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,304,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandln View Post
I need some advice. My son just turned 38 and he refuses to get a job and move out of the house. Since graduating from high school, he has done nothing but sit on the couch, watch television, and play Xbox. He is also very disrespectful to my husband and I, and he yells at us for little things like if we order him the wrong kind of food or if I ask him to do something around the house like make up his bed or wash the clothes. He sleeps until 3 in the afternoon every day and stays up all night. I have told him to get a job but he refuses and says he hates working and that he won't do it. I can't just kick him out because I know he will end up on the street or in a homeless shelter. My husband and I are in our mid 60s and what we are afraid of more than anything is that we will die at some point and he won't be able to take care of himself. He is an intelligent man and made mainly As in high school, so he isn't stupid but he just won't get a job. How can I motivate him to work and become independent? I would prefer something that pays enough for him to live on his own, so he can't just work at a McDonald's. He's probably too old for the military and I know he would refuse to sign up for it even if he could. I just really need some ideas as this has been going on too long.
This has to be a troll thread. If it isn't, here is a serious response: kick him to the curb. You'll be amazed what people will do in order to stay afloat once they're on their own. If he truly doesn't want to do anything, he'll most likely be found living under some overpass and begging for money with some stupid sign saying some crap like "disabled vet. Anything helps. God Bless!"

You and your husband are at fault for letting it continue for so long. It's time for you and him to throw your worthless son out.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:22 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,133,305 times
Plenty of suggestions have been offered here. Since the OP has not returned to participate in the discourse, it is time to end the conversation.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships