U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 PM

13,175 posts, read 20,819,538 times

Advertisements

If he has a goal of becoming a public speaker, he can try it out at organizations such as Toastmasters.

Groups do pay for speakers, even our garden club pays to hear about roses, etc. The speakers are hobbyists for the most part, not professionals, but they still get speaking fees.

If he hones his story and delivery, it could pay off.

I would seek legal advice before discussing details of his own case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 PM

5,178 posts, read 8,705,154 times
Smile Guideposts, yes, great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Was he accused of something that made headlines, then later vindicated, which only got minimal coverage?

One thing you might consider ... there are magazine like Guideposts that share stories of inspiration. You could submit it to them for publication.

Inspirational Stories, Hope and Faith, Prayer, Positive Thinking, Personal Growth - Guideposts

The support for family and spouses angle is compelling.
The answer is your first question is yes. It would be more about the effect it had on all aspects of our lives and how it overtook our lives, even now. He is a very simple guy and did not have the street smarts but he does now.

I think he would speak about it more about how it affected him and the family/friends. Definitely some "God" moments involved also.

I just feel - why did this happen - are we meant to speak about it?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:45 AM

18,371 posts, read 23,561,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
The answer is your first question is yes. It would be more about the effect it had on all aspects of our lives and how it overtook our lives, even now. He is a very simple guy and did not have the street smarts but he does now.

I think he would speak about it more about how it affected him and the family/friends. Definitely some "God" moments involved also.

I just feel - why did this happen - are we meant to speak about it?
if you are righting a wrong,,,then go ahead, if in righting a wrong with your husband, does it destroy other innocent lives?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Smile Absolutely not....

My husband was the innocent one in this case. Even the judge indicated "I don't know why you are here; I have never seen such a quirky case and I see no benefit to the defendant" - my husband has been hurt badly by all this and our family as well.

You all have given me some food for thought and I thank you. I thought he should test the waters to see if there was any interest b/c most people just don't care what happens to someone but he is gung ho about writing this book - maybe therapeutic. You never know.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM

13,844 posts, read 14,674,055 times
have him write the book. you can self publish.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:08 AM

9,228 posts, read 18,963,528 times
Maybe check with organizations that provide nation-wide education to your husband's industry on compliance & ethics. For example, I am in healthcare, where compliance, ethics, and fraud are huge issues. The national organization I belong to offers trainings and seminars and annual conferences, sometimes with speakers on "worst case scenario" compliance stories, and how to learn from them.

I would think his story would be much more valuable in a professional setting with people who might be at risk of having the same thing happen to them, than speaking to random groups of people like a garden club.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Smile That is correct...

When I mentioned associations, I did mean more of professional associations connected to his craft.

He is very involved in compliance and even more so now.

When we were going through this, just no support from the financial community as to what to do. That's one angle - just to inform.

You've given me good info and I thank all who sent in a response. Sometimes, I just need to vent.
It's been very hard on me; I'm grateful for what I have but this has been a very hard road.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 AM

5,356 posts, read 16,359,934 times
Although I haven't looked at it, there are self-publishing opportunities through Amazon. You might check out their electronic books section and find out how to do it.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,379,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Just by telling his story. Sure, he would love to make some money but it's more telling his story. When we were going through this, there was NOTHING out there.

He receives a lot of publications/magazines where there are speakers and I know for a fact, these guys are paid. (Example: One of the Enron executives - now out of prison - was a speaker at a fraud seminar).

That's where I got the idea from.

My husband's attorney told me if he were to write a book, he'd have to change all the names - well, that would be kind of silly b/c if had to go and promote the book, his name would come up and then you would know. I guess that's where the ghost writer would come in.
OK, I've been in that place, trying to get others to listen and the feeling of frustration when all ears seem to have turned deaf. You have my sympathy there.

I know a bit about the writer/speaker thing because that's how my ex husband clawed his way to fame and fortune and become a big frog in a small, highly lucritive pond. Here's how he did it. He started small with stories and articles that first got published in local newspapers then state wide publications that got the big national magazines to take a look at his stuff and publish it. Meanwhile, he cultivated personal contacts in his area of expertise the same way as he progressed with his publishing - local, state, national - each one built upon the other. People in his group began to recognize his name. He published his first book - which was a beautiful work of writing but which fell flat for lack of publicity. He kept on going anyhow.

Groups began to ask him to speak before he ever asked them. I can still remember his jitters when rehearsing for his first such paid talk. He was worried he'd blow it, but he did just fine. He got a second invitation, then a third. He now has a web site where he advertizes for speaking engagement for a very nice return. He has gone to places like Chile and even China all expenses covered and he's come a long way from back when.

This process took him over 20 years to attain. It was his passion and he started out young - fresh out of college. Plus, he had me in the background with a good professional job that paid all the bills and carried us both through the long dry spells when his only income was rejection letters from various publishers which we used to wall paper the bathroom one day in a fit of dark humor.

There's no quick buck to make as a speaker - not in MY experience, anyhow.

You can dm me if you are undaunted by all this and I'll give you the link to his website, so you can maybe get a glimpse of how it all works. Best of luck to you and your husband, both.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:24 PM

819 posts, read 1,364,875 times
This is off topic, but whatever happened with your father in law and his sister? Tell you husband to write his book, I'm sure it will be helpful to someone along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships