U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM

5,136 posts, read 8,659,414 times

Advertisements

My husband is a licensed professional and like the title indicates, has a story to tell. He has literally gone through hell for close to 5 years. As a result of what happened to him, he keeps saying he is going to write a book about it.

I keep saying he should start slow and see if what he has to say is well received - go to local associations and then see what happens. It is an interesting chain of events but I'm not sure he can make the book "exciting" enough. (Some of it is very boring)

Everything in our life has suffered as a result of the past 5 years and this has been very hard on me (wife) and unfortunately, I have turned to comfort foods. (I am now trying to reverse that but it will be a long time). We do have strong faith and that, in part, got us through each day but that's only part of the story.

The financial cost was so great, however, and it is money we can not easily recapture. We had to hire an attorney and in the end, he was totally vindicated but the story is before that point.

If you were invited to a speaking engagement regarding financial issues and/or fraud, would you be interested in attending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband is a licensed professional and like the title indicates, has a story to tell. He has literally gone through hell for close to 5 years. As a result of what happened to him, he keeps saying he is going to write a book about it.

I keep saying he should start slow and see if what he has to say is well received - go to local associations and then see what happens. It is an interesting chain of events but I'm not sure he can make the book "exciting" enough. (Some of it is very boring)

Everything in our life has suffered as a result of the past 5 years and this has been very hard on me (wife) and unfortunately, I have turned to comfort foods. (I am now trying to reverse that but it will be a long time). We do have strong faith and that, in part, got us through each day but that's only part of the story.

The financial cost was so great, however, and it is money we can not easily recapture. We had to hire an attorney and in the end, he was totally vindicated but the story is before that point.

If you were invited to a speaking engagement regarding financial issues and/or fraud, would you be interested in attending?

Sounds like a strong testimony that might be better told in church settings - but then there would no money to be made if that is important.

If he really wants to try writing something he'd need to find some kind of "hook" or angle to attract attention.

And if he has no experience in writing it would be important to find a book editor or ghost writer to maybe write with.

Another option is trying his hand at an extensive article that would run in a magazine or periodical.

Good luck.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:33 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,609,687 times
If he wants to write a book, then let him. Just writing it would probably be very therapeutic for him. Maybe it will get published and maybe it won't. I have a friend who wrote a book a few years ago based on some experiences she had - she had no experience writing and she got published through a small publisher. She's not making any great money off of it but it is published, the book has sold fairly well locally, and she is very proud of her accomplishment (as she should be).

Old 09-08-2013, 07:54 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,333,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

What do you hope to accomplish with such speaking engagements? Recover from financial losses or warn others of what's going on or both? Are you hoping to generate some publicity to get a publisher interested in his book?

Honestly? If such a talk by someone I'd never heard of was advertized for a fee, I wouldn't be interested because I'd think it was just someone trying to make a quick buck. If it was for free and was talking about a serious injustice going on, I'd be much more likely to attend.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 PM

42,695 posts, read 41,411,184 times
I would encourage him to write the book. He could even self-publish it, although that would take more of your money.

There area lot of risks with the public speaking idea. Is there a potential he could slander somebody with his story?

If YOU think parts of it are boring, the chance of him attracting an audience is slim.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 PM

Smile Warning others....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
What do you hope to accomplish with such speaking engagements? Recover from financial losses or warn others of what's going on or both? Are you hoping to generate some publicity to get a publisher interested in his book?

Honestly? If such a talk by someone I'd never heard of was advertized for a fee, I wouldn't be interested because I'd think it was just someone trying to make a quick buck. If it was for free and was talking about a serious injustice going on, I'd be much more likely to attend.
Just by telling his story. Sure, he would love to make some money but it's more telling his story. When we were going through this, there was NOTHING out there.

He receives a lot of publications/magazines where there are speakers and I know for a fact, these guys are paid. (Example: One of the Enron executives - now out of prison - was a speaker at a fraud seminar).

That's where I got the idea from.

My husband's attorney told me if he were to write a book, he'd have to change all the names - well, that would be kind of silly b/c if had to go and promote the book, his name would come up and then you would know. I guess that's where the ghost writer would come in.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:21 PM

Smile Never thought of that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would encourage him to write the book. He could even self-publish it, although that would take more of your money.

There area lot of risks with the public speaking idea. Is there a potential he could slander somebody with his story?

If YOU think parts of it are boring, the chance of him attracting an audience is slim.
Good point - I don't think he was going to name names just an overview of what occurred.
(plus from my side - the effect it has on your family, friends, etc)

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:31 PM

Public speakers that are advertised to an admission price definitely are paid. But they usually have something to say that would affect MANY people.

The Enron scandal had global implications.

I admire your wish to warn people away from what happened to you, but is his story something that would affect thousands of people? Does it involves public officials, a major company that employs thousands, or something like that?

Or is it more of a rant, something he (and you) would like to get off his chest?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM

Smile A healing process also

It did involve some big players, I guess, in a sense.

It was publicized locally and was on the local TV stations and msnbc.com picked it up also so it had some devastating consequences for him.

Of course, the result was published but a very little blurb....

I am just going by my own experience when I would try to find similar things that happened to others, I just found none. No support for family and friends and for the person going through it.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Was he accused of something that made headlines, then later vindicated, which only got minimal coverage?

One thing you might consider ... there are magazine like Guideposts that share stories of inspiration. You could submit it to them for publication.

Inspirational Stories, Hope and Faith, Prayer, Positive Thinking, Personal Growth - Guideposts

The support for family and spouses angle is compelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships