Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:44 AM

501 posts, read 933,059 times

Advertisements

Yetserday, I was at a public event with narrow aisles and lots of people. There was a place there that rented motorized mobility aide scooters to people who wanted to sit and drive around and enjoy the festivities. Since these people walked to and from the event, I think it is safe to assume that these are not medically necessary devices, as opposed to motorized wheelchairs which are used by people with a medical disability.

When in a crowded aisle, the person with the motorized scooter decided that she needed to see something down my aisle and started waving us to move out of her way so she could get down there.

I was in a quandry. If it was a wheelchair, I would be expected to show sensitivity to the person and move out of their way. It's proper ettiquette. On the other hand, if the person was on a bicycle, it would clearly be inappropriate for him to wave everyone out of the way because we're not expected to get out of everyone's way who wants us out of their way. The mobility aide scooter is about half way in between. It's not a bicycle, and it's not a wheelchair.

I'm not one to pick fights about it, so I got out of the way, but realized that I didn't know what is correct. Are we expected to clear paths for non-medical scooters? Are they expected to wait their turn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 11:43 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Dear Emily Post: Do I have to yield to somebody on a scooter if, like, you know, they don't have an obvious disability, and I think they're just lazy?

Dear TwoIncomes: Yes, you do. It's called "common courtesy", and it makes the world a nicer place. What is poor etiquette, is expecting anyone to have to justify what constitutes a worthy disability to a perfect stranger.

Good grief.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM

They're not disabled. This is a motorized scooter that is rented from the event. They're not just for the disabled. Parents could also rent strollers (non-motorized) for the kids.

Quote:
Do I have to yield to somebody on a scooter
I'm not talking yielding. I'm talking clearing an aisle that is full of people, kids, and strollers because someone in a motorized scooter wants to go down there.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:55 AM

I will also say that while I don't mind being courteous, it's very difficult in crowded venues to be courteous because there are people everywhere and gobs of people tend to conglomerate around the same thing.

I accomodate those in wheelchairs, including those in motorized wheelchairs, because I recognize that they have no alternative.

But motorized scooters that are rented on-site are a different story. The people using them should get up and walk if it is too crowded rather than expecting the crowds will clear to accomodate them.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,375 times
You are making the assumption that these people were not disabled because they rented scooters from a public place?

Aside from that... instead of being upset at the people who rented said scooters, why not address that company that planned the event at a venue that clearly could not accomodate scooter traffic. Sounds like the aisles were nowhere big enough. You should target your angst toward the event planners...

Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
You are making the assumption that these people were not disabled because they rented scooters from a public place?
Yes. People who are actually disabled would not be able to walk to the parking lot to the place where scooters are rented, as that was a minimum of about 1/4 to 1/2 mile. In addition, people who are actually disabled don't go around renting stuff all of the time, because they bring their own.

Quote:
instead of being upset at the people who rented said scooters, why not address that company that planned the event at a venue that clearly could not accomodate scooter traffic.
I'm annoyed that they allowed scooter rental. The issue wasn't the size of aisles, it was the volume of crowds. I don't live in Small Town Montana and we get massive crowds at most summer events and scooters just don't mix well with massive crowds.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I've never known anyone who would even think to rent a scooter if they weren't in pain from a bad back or whatever...never the less, I do think that just because someones in a scooter it doesn't give them any special dibs, they should have to wait till the gettings good, like everyone else. You know they couldn't get away with being rude, and butting in, if people wouldn't let them...I do agree that they should have to wait their turns like everyone else.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:03 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Yes. People who are actually disabled would not be able to walk to the parking lot to the place where scooters are rented, as that was a minimum of about 1/4 to 1/2 mile. In addition, people who are actually disabled don't go around renting stuff all of the time, because they bring their own.

Or their friend / family member dropped them off at the entrance or went and got the scooter and took it to them...

People who are disabled DO "go around" renting wheelchairs and scooters when they know they will be available at the event they are going to. It is much easier to rent one when you get there than try and fold up and cram a wheelchair in the trunk with the rest of the stuff (been there - done that).

I'm annoyed that they allowed scooter rental. The issue wasn't the size of aisles, it was the volume of crowds. I don't live in Small Town Montana and we get massive crowds at most summer events and scooters just don't mix well with massive crowds.

All I can say if that you seem to make some massive snap judgments about the people you come in contact with. Example: disabled people always bring their own scooters or wheelchairs to events you attend or that I have (apparently) lived my entire life in Hicksville Montana and never seen a "massive" crowd.
The fact that you say "scooters just don't mix well with massive crowds" borders on offensive. Should disabled folks be banned from events that will have numerous people at them because their scooters don't mix well with large volume crowds?

Old 09-10-2013, 04:21 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I find "stroller people" to be more offensive, especially the double ones.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
OP seems to make a lot of assumptions based on what? Someone on a rented scooter wanted to get past her. A little bit give or take makes life a lot easier. Somewhat along the line of mole hill and mountain.

It sounds like only those in wheels chairs are handicapped thus entitled to courtesies generally extended to those with special needs according to OP. It does not take much not to be able to handle extended walking. Been there done that and was grateful for every bit of good will from others be is customers in a grocery stores or ushers in a theatre. Needing some support to be able to enjoy life can happen to all of us; to some on a permanent basis; so some on a temporary basis. Count your blessings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships