U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 02:43 PM

341 posts, read 447,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Great - all these responses will be dug up during a future investigation:>))))
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:31 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,456,080 times
My father has always said if you pull a gun be ready to use it. He also says to fire until they can't get up. I know that if someone were hurting someone I loved I could shoot to kill.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:21 PM

10,058 posts, read 13,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
The official response should be: shoot to stop the threat.
Agreed shoot to stop an imminent threat.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:03 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,189,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is the person doing the beating a police officer? Probably not. I don't have any relatives or friends who are criminals.

So no problem for me. A double tap center mass shot. I'm well trained with a gun and don't have any reason to hesitate to use it.

It's a different situation when you don't know either party involved and didn't see all the action leading up to the beating.

Chances are a police officer is doing a justified beating, but not always. If I saw a cop attack a person without cause, I would kill him the same as anyone else if he did not back down when I said to.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:11 PM

8,823 posts, read 6,346,657 times
you don't know what you'll do until a situation occurs...you can't even fathom what you'll think, if you'll have time to think..so if it happens that you have to kill someone to save someone else, only after the fact will you know what you'd do ...

Old 11-09-2013, 08:49 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,943,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Say someone was beating your family member to death (for whatever reason, it's a hypothetical) and you had a gun. You were fairly sure that they intended to kill said family member, and you had the opportunity to save their life but killing this person. So you shoot to kill and kill them.

A few questions:

Would this be a moral action? Yes, I believe it would be.

Or would it be morally neutral/a necessary evil. Necessary evil, more than likely.

Is killing an evil person a morally positive action, or morally neutral, or simply morally justified but kind of amoral. Is the act of getting rid of a potential murderer to be seen as a heroic act? Than likely it would be heroic, but being a "hero" would be the last thing on my mind.

Now imagine the same scenario. Your family member is being kicked to death. You have a gun but decide to do nothing.

Does this make you bad/immoral? Is it an immoral action? If I had the ability to use a gun and failed, I would have to live with that on my conscience.

Would the most moral option be to disable his person? NONE.

I think if there was clear intent for this person to kill my family member, I would shoot indiscriminately, not necessarily to kill or maim, but just to stop the person from continuing. I wouldn't see myself as heroic, or a moral action per se, but I would see it as necessary and morally justified.
Unfortunately, "disabling" this person would likely enable him to SUE me in a court of lawand win ~ that's how effed up our law are. I've had people say that they would consider this and consider that before shooting someone, but there would not be that kind of TIME to fart around. So you shoot. Also, the answer to this scenario has bearing on WHERE this beating takes my place. My answers are based on the incident taking place at home. I do not own a carry permit (yet), so the chances of access to a gun outside my home are slim to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships