U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,997,090 times

Advertisements

5% is not most. And missing a few teeth doesn't mean the rest of the teeth you do have are bad or that brushing and flossing them will not help the teeth you do have to be okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 AM

4,826 posts, read 7,283,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Unless you were born with crappy teeth coming out of your gums when you were a year old genetics is a minor issue for teeth. Never met anyone who had bad teeth "due to genetics.".

Are you a geneticist? Or a dental expert?? Just because you "never met anyone who had bad teeth due to genetics" doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Also, people don't go around saying "my teeth are bad because of my genetics. Don't you think people with "bad teeth" are already embarassed about it??!?

Your above statement is extremely ignorant at very best.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 AM

4,826 posts, read 7,283,480 times
[quote=beera;32921328]5% is not most. And missing a few teeth doesn't mean the rest of the teeth you do have are bad or that brushing and flossing them will not help the teeth you do have to be okay.[/quote]

All the brushing and flossing in the world isn't going to change the fact that someone is genetically prone to having bad teeth, soft teeth, or prevent anyone from having any genetic dental disease. You don't seem to get that. It may help a little but it's not going to stop it.

Just like if baldness runs in your family ---- do you think washing your hair with expensive shampoos and conditioners is going to stop that? Or if everyone in your family is 5'2", do you think you'll magically be 6'2" if you stretch daily??

Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,541,015 times
Expense, yes, that is a big part of it, as others have said. But a certain number of people have a fear of going to the dentist. Not necessarily a phobia, but just a fear of pain or discomfort should they need a filling. Then there are those who figure once they get past a certain point, it's going to be wayyyyy too much pain and discomfort, until finally they are forced to go because their teeth are about falling out, or their partners express revulsion at kissing them or being near them because of bad breath stemming from advanced periodontal disease.

The irony is that the longer you put it off, the more problems there will be and the more it will cost. A buddy of mine recently spent seven hours in the chair getting fillings, cleanings, and a root canal. They said they would sedate her so she wouldn't remember it, but she remembers everything. She hadn't been to a dentist in 15 years.

Me, on the occasions where I've had to put it off for a year or more, I felt disgusting. I'm a fanatic for caring for my teeth. For most of my adult life, barring two periods where I didn't have the money to go, I've gone every six months religiously. It's not the cavities (haven't had one in 12, 15 years), it's the gum disease I am most concerned with. There is some evidence to suggest that gum health can affect heart health.

Plus, I'm a firm believer that your smile is your best accessory. Not saying teeth have to be model perfect, but dang, at least brush and floss. There's really no excuse not to.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:05 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,541,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe the better question is, why are Americans in particular so obsessed with artificially perfect teeth?
Great big smiles are part of the American persona going back to the days of Candid Camera in the late 1940s. "SMILE, you're on Candid Camera!" Then you have the "California girl" image of the 60s, wherein a beautiful, bouyant smile came to be associated with wholesomeness; Farrah Fawcett's huge smile of the 70s; the optimism to the point of denial of the 80s (also, Vanna White). It's just part of the culture.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,738,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
WRONG..... You don't have to be "impoverished" to be unable to afford braces, veneers, caps, etc. Dental work is extremely expensive and not everyone can afford that extra bill each month. I know that I need at least $15K of dental work done and there is no way, no how I can afford it even on a payment plan.

"Poverty" doesn't equal poor dental hygiene, either. In the past, I had clients who were from the worst ghettos of NYC and many of them had the most perfect, white, straight teeth you could imagine. And it wasn't from having braces or getting caps or anything else. These were people who had nothing but they still had these perfect teeth.

Sometimes, people have bad teeth based purely on genetics and regardless how much they take care of their teeth, the teeth are going to be 'bad'. Also, if you take certain medications, that can lead to tooth decay or breakdown.

You can't lump everything into the box of "poverty and poor parental supervision"

bingo !

Old 01-08-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Are you a geneticist? Or a dental expert?? Just because you "never met anyone who had bad teeth due to genetics" doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Also, people don't go around saying "my teeth are bad because of my genetics. Don't you think people with "bad teeth" are already embarassed about it??!?

Your above statement is extremely ignorant at very best.
Actually I am a scientist. What now? And I did work in a dentist office years ago. I saw children of 8-10 years old coming in for root canals because their parents didn't teach them about proper hygiene. Even then the dentist never said "this poor child has terrible genetics."

If genetics really played a part in your bad teeth I'm sorry, but if that's the case you still should have been more diligent about seeing a dentist every 6 months, brushing twice daily and flossing daily, etc. Even if you couldn't afford it most dentists have coupons you can find in PennySavers and other ads as well as many do payment plans with no interest (Carecredit). And I KNOW that is out there because that's how we paid for my husband's large dental bill many years ago.

I'm not ignorant, I'm just stating facts you would rather ignore; hygiene is very important when it comes to your teeth.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:48 PM

[quote=Amisi;32926878]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
5% is not most. And missing a few teeth doesn't mean the rest of the teeth you do have are bad or that brushing and flossing them will not help the teeth you do have to be okay.[/quote]

All the brushing and flossing in the world isn't going to change the fact that someone is genetically prone to having bad teeth, soft teeth, or prevent anyone from having any genetic dental disease. You don't seem to get that. It may help a little but it's not going to stop it.

Just like if baldness runs in your family ---- do you think washing your hair with expensive shampoos and conditioners is going to stop that? Or if everyone in your family is 5'2", do you think you'll magically be 6'2" if you stretch daily??
Don't be ridiculous, being bald has nothing to do with the shampoo you use, your comparing apples and oranges.

Here you go:

http://www.sharecare.com/health/dent...eth-hereditary

All the dentists responding here that I read said INHERITED traits are tooth shape, alignment, jaw size. Not bad enamel. They all point out teeth issues such as decay are due to bad habits.

Or are the dentists wrong too?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,798,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
In others, it's a very real fear of the dentist. I have a relative who appears to have lost every tooth in his head. My uncle wrote him a check to get some dental work done, and he still couldn't bring himself to go. Nobody likes going to the dentist, myself included, but most of us realize the benefits.
In older people there may be a very real reason for fearing the dentist. Dentist did not even begin numbing your teeth for fillings to sometime in the early 50's.They were drilling with no pain killer using duller,slower drills. When they hit a nerve you never wanted to see the dentist again.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:36 PM

35 posts, read 49,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I can't tell you how many professional adults I have met recently with really bad teeth. I don't mean to sound petty or judgemental, I'm just wondering what would prevent an educated employed person from taking care of their teeth.

I've met people with blackness around their gumline where they have crowns. People missing front teeth, people with discolored teeth. I had a blind date recently with a very nice gentleman who is clearly self conscious about his teeth. He was avoiding smiling or would duck his head to the side when he smiled. He KNOWS.

So why not just have them fixed?

And yes, it makes me wonder if maybe I should get my eyes fixed because don't people meet me and wonder "surely she knows those droopy eyes make her look bad."
Well, probably it's not as important to them as to a superficial person who cares a lot about people's exterior than their intellectual and emotional intelligence. Why would some women choose to become Stage Mommas" and pay undue attention to looks, make up, clothes and hair? Diffrent folks, diffrent strokes! In a world where millions sleep hungry every night, its a very shallow issue to worry about? If it matters to you, fix your teeth, tummy, nose, wrinkles or whatever bothers you, don't worry about others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships