U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,765,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Some people have a real and paralyzing fear of dentists. I had a neighbor like that, an engineer at a local company, an educated professional. Before even a teeth cleaning he took some meds at home where his wife had to literally pour him into the car to get him to the dentist. He was still loopy as a loon when he got home.
There are actual, scary stories of things happening has a result of a dental procedure.

This was in the news just a day ago.

HONOLULU -- Hawaii has begun investigating a dentist whose 3-year-old patient died after falling into a coma while she was heavily sedated with different drugs during a procedure, a newspaper reported Wednesday.

Ashley Boyle, the mother of Finley Puleo Boyle, said her daughter never woke up after losing consciousness and suffering massive brain damage following sedation on Dec. 3 at Island Dentistry for Children on Kailua, the office of dentist Lilly Geyer.

Hawaii investigating dentist after 3-year-old girl's death - CBS News

My own nephew died last Thanksgiving from what transpired after he had his wisdom teeth pulled.

His mother was up here with her mom and my brother stuck him on a plane and never saw him alive again and kicks himself for it everyday.

When teeth were pulled in times past they used to sew up the wound holes, they don't anymore. He had a couple drinks with his friends and the next day, on Thanksgiving, his mother found him dead.

What killed him was the fact the little alcohol he did consume did not get filtered through the body by the various organs. Instead, the alcohol went straight into his blood stream 100 proof. Dentists do not warn you of this happening. They never said it to me either when I had mine done and other procedures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,525,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
There are actual, scary stories of things happening has a result of a dental procedure.

HONOLULU -- Hawaii has begun investigating a dentist whose 3-year-old patient died after falling into a coma while she was heavily sedated with different drugs during a procedure, a newspaper reported Wednesday.

Ashley Boyle, the mother of Finley Puleo Boyle, said her daughter never woke up after losing consciousness and suffering massive brain damage following sedation on Dec. 3 at Island Dentistry for Children on Kailua, the office of dentist Lilly Geyer.

Hawaii investigating dentist after 3-year-old girl's death - CBS News

My own nephew died last Thanksgiving from what transpired after he had his wisdom teeth pulled.

His mother was up here with her mom and my brother stuck him on a plane and never saw him alive again and kicks himself for it everyday.

When teeth were pulled in times past they used to sew up the wound holes, they don't anymore. He had a couple drinks with his friends and the next day, on Thanksgiving, his mother found him dead.

What killed him was the fact the little alcohol he did consume did not get filtered through the body by the various organs. Instead, the alcohol went straight into his blood stream 100 proof. Dentists do not warn you of this happening. They never said it to me either when I had mine done and other procedures.
JAYSUS! I didn't know that's what happened, Thursday. I'm so sorry.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:12 PM

2,991 posts, read 2,359,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I have spoken with dentists in person who have mentioned that weak enamel can be genetic. It's not that different from weak bones. Of course, good dental care goes a long way, but good dental care is expensive and brushing/flossing is not as preventative for people with genetically poor teeth.

Crooked teeth can cause big problems with cavities. I get far less after wearing braces. It's difficult to brush/floss well when teeth have crowding issues.

Lastly, may tooth issues are more about gums. There are many genetic gum diseases. My grandma and al her siblings lost perfectly healthy teeth due to a genetic gum disease.

Another issue is saliva...some people have dry mouths.

A simple google search turns up a genetic tooth disease causing weak enamel:
Amelogenesis imperfecta - Genetics Home Reference
Excellent post (and in reply to an apples and oranges comment, lol). I wish I'd seen this thread sooner. Why is it in this section instead of Fashion and Beauty?

Another post mentions medication. It can discolor teeth and cause dry mouth. Mouth-breathing also can cause dry mouth.

Also, Sonicare and co-enzyme Q10 are quite effective in stabilizing things, even when genetic conditions are involved. (I have a genetic predisposition to gum disease, with a toothless grandma story.) My guess is that most people with defective enamel also have fragile gums and that weak collagen usually explains the connection. I could test my own dentist on that the next time I see him. (Very few medical professionals are experts on that kind of thing.)

As for the original question, I think it's a mix of lack of money, ignorance (not knowing how to find low-cost programs), and fear. I used to know two people who were extremely scared of dentists and as a result let their teeth get very bad. They very likely were genetically predisposed to dental problems, and it's sadly probable that in some cases that goes with a generally anxious nature. So the weak handicap themselves re dental care.

By the way, I'm very grossed out by very bad teeth, though I'm not someone who cares whether teeth are very white or very straight. (I find tiny teeth creepy, which is almost completely irrelevant.)

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-10-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM

22,542 posts, read 24,138,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Have you ever caught a whiff of advanced periodontal disease? It's foul. If I smell it, I very nearly retch.

It's not superficial to be repulsed by tartar-caked, brown teeth and black gums. If kissing a smoker is like kissing an ash tray, kissing someone with mouth-rot is like kissing a gas-station toilet rim. I don't care how kind and brilliant someone is. If his mouth smells like diarrhea, I'm not going near him.
I always tell people who brag about never flossing to floss once and smell the floss. It's gross, and that's what they're breathing at people day in and day out.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:42 AM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I can't tell you how many professional adults I have met recently with really bad teeth. I don't mean to sound petty or judgemental, I'm just wondering what would prevent an educated employed person from taking care of their teeth.

I've met people with blackness around their gumline where they have crowns. People missing front teeth, people with discolored teeth. I had a blind date recently with a very nice gentleman who is clearly self conscious about his teeth. He was avoiding smiling or would duck his head to the side when he smiled. He KNOWS.

So why not just have them fixed?

And yes, it makes me wonder if maybe I should get my eyes fixed because don't people meet me and wonder "surely she knows those droopy eyes make her look bad."
It is quite costly to fix one's teeth. For example, if one's teeth are simply crooked but healthy otherwise, they might feel it isn't a big issue. Also sometimes one has other financial priorities.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:06 PM

16,300 posts, read 24,959,144 times
Quote:

More people die or are injured (suffer pain) from falls getting into the tub than at the dentists office, and while I see a few with an aversion to bathing, it's not an issue for most.
Quote:
Is that what was listed as the cause on the death certificate? Odds are more than a little was consumed, and it is not the dental procedure that caused his death. Perhaps alcohol in combination with the drugs the dentist prescribed, and likely the instructions on the Rx said that alcohol should be avoided.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
More people die or are injured (suffer pain) from falls getting into the tub than at the dentists office, and while I see a few with an aversion to bathing, it's not an issue for most.

Is that what was listed as the cause on the death certificate? Odds are more than a little was consumed, and it is not the dental procedure that caused his death. Perhaps alcohol in combination with the drugs the dentist prescribed, and likely the instructions on the Rx said that alcohol should be avoided.
Yep. That's what's listed, but I can't remember the official terminology he used. He was also a neighbor of ours when we were younger and called and explained it all to him. It's what the Coroner detailed in his report. He hadn't taken the meds that were supplied, those were counted in the bottle and all of them were there. It was the gaping wounds. The final blow was that he had choked to death on his own vomit as a result. So, it's listed as 'this' as a result of 'that.'

It isn't an issue for most, but it's those few stories you actually hear about that can get under some people's skin and cause an extreme fear of it. What do they say, more people die in car accidents than plane crashes every year, but people have a severe aversion to flying and would prefer to drive.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:23 PM

12,540 posts, read 12,525,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I always tell people who brag about never flossing to floss once and smell the floss. It's gross, and that's what they're breathing at people day in and day out.

Ewwww! Why would someone brag about not flossing? To me that's like bragging about not using deodorant or not wiping their butts completely.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Ewwww! Why would someone brag about not flossing? To me that's like bragging about not using deodorant or not wiping their butts completely.
Skid mark, skid mark!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,462,897 times
Dental prices in the USA are so high that leaving the country to have your teeth done if you need major procedures can save you a ton of $$$; check out websites such as Patients Without Borders for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships