U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,153,579 times

Advertisements

This thread is an oldie but a goodie!

I suffer from a PROFOUND fear of going to the dentist. I can't sleep the night before, I get the shakes when I'm driving to the office, etc. It's really, really bad.

However...

I go every three months for a cleaning and for check-ups, because I've already had two dental abscesses and those are something I very much want to avoid in the future.

Not fun.

I've also read that there is a corollary between good dental hygiene and good overall health. Wish I knew more about why that was...

As to the OP, I also won't kiss my husband when he has bad breath. I have a very keen sense of smell, and I can't "pretend" to enjoy a kiss that smells of putrefaction.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 12:51 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,589,241 times
I'm sure this has already been addressed.

I've had severely crooked teeth for years now. only recently, I have been able to get it fixed. growing up under the care of a single parent, she did not have the money or sufficient insurance to pay for my braces.

it wasn't until the last couple years of college that I saved a sufficient amount of money to start researching this. my case is special because I need jaw surgery. they call it orthognathic surgery. here I was thinking that braces were the most expensive part of it. even with my insurance, I needed to pay upwards of $11,000 between the braces and 8 extractions that I needed to go with it because my dental doesn't cover orthodontics unless I am under 19 years of age and I also have a maximum dental benefit of $1200 per year or something. the surgery is a $30,000 procedure, but will be covered under medical(minus the $2,000 deductible of course). i was informed of this early in 2012 that i needed health insurance or this would cost me over $30K. it took me over a year to graduate and finally find a job with health insurance. so now, at 25, i am in the process of lining up this surgery for January 2015. this surgery is an integral part of the teeth straightening process. i am doing this for me, btw, not for other people, as i couldn't give less of a rat's ass what people think. i just realize the importance of the close link between dental health and physical health. as i am in perfect health now, that may not necessarily be the case 10 years from now if i don't get this fixed.

I'm not even afraid of the dentist. however, i will be scared ****less when the date of this surgery rolls around. by the way, OP, you really sound like a piece of work. people like you are partially the reason why i prefer to seek solitude. i bet there are more than one aspects about you that seem unattractive to others. right off the bat: your personality. there is something wrong with everybody. maybe you're narcissistic, or overweight, alcoholic, etc...so knock it off with the holier-than-thou attitude.

sometimes dental issues need to take a backseat to other priorities, such as keeping a roof over your head. getting multiple jobs throughout college to support yourself and a sick alcoholic parent, paying tuition & books, student loans, etc.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:58 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,119,629 times
One tooth can run up to $3000 with the removal of old tooth, implant, new crown, etc. We just have too many teeth. How do we choose wisely?

Old 10-07-2014, 01:16 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,503,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
even though you don't "want" to sound petty and
judgemental that is excactly what you sound like!
bingo!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:17 PM

2,620 posts, read 2,503,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OP may just have to check her dates' teeth before going out with them.
LOL I've got a vision of a guy buying a horse....

Old 10-07-2014, 01:47 PM

417 posts, read 984,557 times
Default It's Superficial..............

The condition of a person's teeth is the least important thing about them, as long as they practice good hygiene. Some people with perfect teeth have horrible breath, and I think that is far more important. A person's outward appearance doesn't reflect on them as much as how they maintain their selves.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:58 PM

3,300 posts, read 4,293,979 times
I split the difference on all of this. If your teeth are badly out of alignment & you can afford to correct them I think it shows that you tend to your health as much as anything. To me this is on par with a hearing aid or glasses. Gaps and an individual snaggle tooth or two are probably entirely aesthetic. But a darkened tooth that looks decayed seems like a bigger problem waiting to happen. A mouth with individually crooked teeth to me is also very different from the misalignment I mentioned above. Maria Shriver comes to mind as someone who has merely crooked teeth (and came form a wealthy family who could afford to fix them to boot.) But she must take care of them since they have been the same crooked teeth for the entire time she has been famous.

I also think our standards for beauty and dental attractiveness have really gotten rather absurd. I was looking at some magazines on a coffee table a few months ago and the person with the worst teeth on any of the covers was Matt Bomer. Google Matt Bomer & you will realize how absurd the standard for presentable appearance has become.

One thing no one is mentioning is that many of the cosmetic procedures - especially veneers and caps- are actually horrible for your teeth if unnecessary. And they need to be repeated every ten years. One of my more average looking friends has an upper row chiclets and a bottom row of gap teeth. All kept blinding white to match the uppers. On a man pushing forty it just looks bizarre.

I split a tooth ten years ago and went back into braces (thank God for Invasalign) to make room for the crown- the dentist actually did two so the teeth would match. If this had not been a necessary repair my doctor said he wouldn't suggest if because without diligence the teeth would shift. And they do until I return to the final tray for a couple of weeks at a time. For someone who did not need to do this it would be a waste of effort. On a similar note I also have to bleach every other year or so to keep everything the front teeth from being noticeably different from the two crowns. Thankfully my dentist fully embraces shades of yellow and gray or I too would suffer bright white syndrome.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:07 AM

128 posts, read 147,573 times
Because: They Can't Afford It. (Dentistry is expensive even WITH Insurance, who will only pay a small amount)
They are Scared...(Dental Phobia is one of the Biggest Problems in their decision to have or not have dental work.
They have had bad experiences at the dentist and do not wish to return.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 AM

141 posts, read 160,099 times
I spent the money in my late 30s to get braces to fix an overbite that had been uncomfortable and bothering my for years. Other people barely noticed it (but they sure noticed the braces!). It has made a huge difference in how I feel about my appearance and it's much easier to eat now, too - I can eat an apple!

I've never had dental insurance, but I make a point to put aside money so I can go to the dentist for regular cleanings and exams. I'd like to keep my teeth for the rest of my life, so I try to take care of them the best I can.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:18 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,268,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
This thread is an oldie but a goodie!

I suffer from a PROFOUND fear of going to the dentist. I can't sleep the night before, I get the shakes when I'm driving to the office, etc. It's really, really bad.

However...

I go every three months for a cleaning and for check-ups, because I've already had two dental abscesses and those are something I very much want to avoid in the future.

Not fun.

I've also read that there is a corollary between good dental hygiene and good overall health. Wish I knew more about why that was...

As to the OP, I also won't kiss my husband when he has bad breath. I have a very keen sense of smell, and I can't "pretend" to enjoy a kiss that smells of putrefaction.
I too feared the dentist.

Over the years I have learned nothing was ever as bad as the fear I had.

Most of the time I got out of the chair feeling a little silly for being so afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships