U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 11:18 AM

78,917 posts, read 70,720,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
Just because you have good dental insurance does not mean everyone else does. I don't and pay about 2000 a year just for cleanings and keep up. And I don't think it says anything about HIS "datability" it says more about yours.
Why does routine service cost $2000/year? I don't have dental insurance, and I pay 1/10 that for annual. cleanings. I can see why some people would have to do without, if their annual care cost in the thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 AM

25,740 posts, read 25,404,399 times
I'll be shallow and admit it. Bad teeth are a no for me, for so many reasons. It's not just the look of them, though again, I admit to being shallow here - no, I do NOT like the look of very very bad teeth. It's also the general health factor, an indicator of whether the person practices good hygiene and whether he prioritizes his health, and so on. It can also be an indicator of where he prioritizes his money rather than, "he just can't afford it." For example, you'll see people with terrible teeth (or other fixable issue) and the very latest smartphones, tablets and so on. Come on now.

Now teeth that naturally aren't great, but not due to the person's lack of attention to hygiene? That's different. For example, I've never found crooked but obviously brushed and taken care of teeth a negative. Sometimes crooked teeth can be adorable, actually. I guess it's arguable that this is still "not taking care of" teeth, but often, that's on the person's parents (no braces/retainers/spacers given to them when they were children - and as an adult, these procedures tend to be a bit tougher as you're no longer growing). And again, it's more a health and an "I don't want to stink and have rotten things hanging from my mouth" thing. Brown teeth with plaque = sorry...no way. Crooked bottom teeth due to lack of jaw space = interesting and a bit of character.

JUST IMO.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 AM

5,626 posts, read 5,079,943 times
I have bad teeth and thats because 1, my dental insurance SUCKS and 2, I have an extreme phobia of the dentist....no amount of bribery will get me in.

Now, i do brush my teeth and try to take care of them on my own.

If youre judging me on my teeth or treating me like crap over it (like kids did in grade school due to the gap i had), then i dont need to be around you anyway!

Old 05-05-2016, 12:10 PM

5,967 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Why don't they lose weight? Why don't they get moles removed? Why don't they do this or that?

Unless someone is taking your money or time I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:13 PM

43,566 posts, read 52,728,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As stated, cost is a huge factor and most people don't have coverage for cosmetic work. The secondary reason is that it is not usually a one time fix. My ex wife had $ 15 K worth of work done some years ago and has spent at least that amount because of problems that have come up......teeth breaking, tooth aches, infections, etc.

With so many people just struggling today to make ends meet things like cosmetic surgery and dental repair are at the bottom of the priority list.

Don
This is a good point.
My dentist says he won't work with anyone who has had veneers, etc, put on because it's an ongoing process of maintenance and blah blah blah blah. And they won't want to pay continuously for the upkeep.

Cosmetic dentistry is not a one shot deal.

That being said, I'd do it. But I love my teeth. And I can afford it.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:48 PM

1,526 posts, read 850,145 times
Could it be because they want to be the silly topic of a forum thread? lol

Old 05-05-2016, 04:02 PM

16,133 posts, read 12,869,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
If a person can eat well with his or her teeth and wash them well there is nothing to fix.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:36 AM

866 posts, read 1,372,923 times
People in America are very fixated over teeth, and I'll admit I'm one of them. I know it's shallow to judge people on their teeth, but it's just a big part of their appearance. I do feel sorry for those with genetically bad teeth because the cost of dental work is astronomical.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:19 PM

230 posts, read 253,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
People in America are very fixated over teeth, and I'll admit I'm one of them. I know it's shallow to judge people on their teeth, but it's just a big part of their appearance. I do feel sorry for those with genetically bad teeth because the cost of dental work is astronomical.
Both my parents had horrible teeth that rotted out of their mouths before 40. They both got false teeth as a result. Thanks to their genes, I inherited bad teeth. I did do something about it, and ended up after 3 years of work and 10K later (in addition to the 1500 deductible given annually) with a decent set of choppers (some being implants, and porcelain fillings).

Old 05-06-2016, 01:40 PM

16,133 posts, read 12,869,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post
Both my parents had horrible teeth that rotted out of their mouths before 40. They both got false teeth as a result. Thanks to their genes, I inherited bad teeth. I did do something about it, and ended up after 3 years of work and 10K later (in addition to the 1500 deductible given annually) with a decent set of choppers (some being implants, and porcelain fillings).
I see it as an investment in yourself.

Generally, I think that if you have enough money to buy a decent car you have enough money to fix your teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships