U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:50 PM

7,205 posts, read 8,635,037 times

Advertisements

I go to the dentist three times a year just for maintaining my gums and teeth. It's expensive for sure especially when you get into needing crowns or bridges. My parents told me when I was very young, "do anything you can to keep your natural teeth." I only learned later why it's so important and how it affects the rest of your health. I liken it to road maintenance... in other words, always under construction and teeth and gums have to be maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:53 PM

16,038 posts, read 12,827,498 times
My neighbor has crooked teeth and they keep shifting more and more. She says she is embarrassed but doesn't have the money for braces. Okay. Totally understandable.

Then she bought a $30k Mercedes because her kids said their 15 year old car is too ugly. Not understandable. She could have bought a nice $20k car and spend the rest on her teeth.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:34 PM

4,565 posts, read 3,795,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post
Both my parents had horrible teeth that rotted out of their mouths before 40. They both got false teeth as a result. Thanks to their genes, I inherited bad teeth. I did do something about it, and ended up after 3 years of work and 10K later (in addition to the 1500 deductible given annually) with a decent set of choppers (some being implants, and porcelain fillings).
I think I got issues from my parents as well.

Many people on my father's side of the family need root canals. And a good few people in our family clench and/or grind our teeth.And according to my parents, I chew too roughly. lol

I do both. I clench and grind mine so hard, I have woken up with my jaw aching before, in addition to what may be chips of teeth in my mouth. So, I need crowns, possibly to have a bite plate made, and may need a root canal, as my teeth are starting to get sensitive to hot water.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:17 AM

2,730 posts, read 2,084,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Teeth are meant for eating.

"A tooth (plural teeth) is a small, calcified, whitish structure found in the jaws (or mouths) of many vertebrates and used to break down food"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth

I am glad to help you

Everyone who is judging other people just because they don't like their teeth or something else on their appearance could think oneself instead the other and fix that bullying attitude.

I see lot of people at high professions with bad teeth, not my problem, I take care of mine. My mouth, my hubbys mouth and our family and pets mouths are our business to take care.

Quote:
My neighbor has crooked teeth and they keep shifting more and more. She says she is embarrassed but doesn't have the money for braces. Okay. Totally understandable.

Then she bought a $30k Mercedes because her kids said their 15 year old car is too ugly. Not understandable. She could have bought a nice $20k car and spend the rest on her teeth.
And propably those crooked teeth does not actually cause any harm to her talking or eating? Why to waste her moneys just because you would be happier then? If her teeth disturbs you so much look her eyes or give her gift and pay her dentist because her teeth are not her problem but your problem. You have problems to pressure all people under the same mold. You have a problem, not her.

I find teeth in different shape and size very interesting part of diversity. It is beautiful thing that all people are different looking. If there is no health problems there is no any reason to fix. You have no any rights to ask people change their looks into a way what you would like.

Everyone has rights to represent their unique looks just as they are. Nature is uneven, flowers are uneven, many times bugs eat and poo on them yet we still see the perfect creation on it. Symmetric is actually unnormal, it does not exist but maybe in very rare special cases.

It is sad she felt she should change her car just because bullying society is judging her. World has written sustainable development agreement and people should use their thingies as long as they are working and not just change everything just because bullying society and markets are trying to take advantage of them and their moneys.

Could also be her new car is more environmental friendly if it can be said of a car at first place.

In any case, she or anyone else don't have to fix their teeth just because your sake. She is probably only embarrased just because this bullying culture taugh her unsymmetrical people are ugly and something to shame.

I most of see only beautiful, unique and interesting looking people but instead very ugly society which accept and encourages to bullying and pick others looks.

Last edited by soUlwounD; 05-07-2016 at 01:32 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 07:05 AM

7,627 posts, read 4,686,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post
Both my parents had horrible teeth that rotted out of their mouths before 40. They both got false teeth as a result. Thanks to their genes, I inherited bad teeth. I did do something about it, and ended up after 3 years of work and 10K later (in addition to the 1500 deductible given annually) with a decent set of choppers (some being implants, and porcelain fillings).
DH has genetically bad teeth as well. Good for you that you did something about it promptly. He's suffered through decades of being lectured by dentists and now has an extreme aversion to dentistry. He won't even accompany me to my cleaning. (It's okay, I get it.)

Had he aggressively pursued competent care earlier, though, he wouldn't have had the extensive bone loss today. Because of it he can't get implants.

I have a failing not-so-permanent bridge. It will come out any day now. Then, eventually, implants. I'm doing it for me, though, since I don't care what anyone thinks about my teeth.

I mentioned the bridge last night at dinner with friends. No one had ever noticed it was a bridge and I've had it for 14 years. Funny, friends don't care about your teeth.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:40 AM

14,693 posts, read 8,476,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
If a person can eat well with his or her teeth and wash them well there is nothing to fix.
Incorrect. A lot of dental problems are genetic. The fact the dental care is incredibly expensive even for routine maintenance when people don't have dental insurance, and the fact that dental care isn't included with regular health coverage (which makes zero sense, IMO) compounds the problem. So people often end up neglecting routine dental care because they can't afford it, which leads to major dental problems which they definitely can't afford to fix. And too add insult to injury, many people are afraid of the dentist, so they don't go to the dentist in the first place.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:02 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,861,863 times
Quote:

I'm going to be somewhat flippant here and say that she would rather be ridiculed than allow her children to be.

The point is that mothers often spend on things that will benefit their children over spending on themselves. In her mind, the purchase is completely rational. Her children get the fancy ride to school. She can deal with people thinking she has ugly teeth.

If you're a mother who has NEVER put your needs behind the wants of your off-spring, I'd say you're highly atypical.

As for the OP, not everyone can afford good dental work. I have decent teeth. My children has spectacular teeth, and given how much I spent to put them in orthodontia, they had better be. As for me, I'm too old for a second run at braces.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:39 AM

4,741 posts, read 4,022,469 times
Economics, my dear.
If you do become involved with someone who has dental care needs, you can always help them out, as you would anyone you cared about with health care needs.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 369 times
I agree with the original post; I also see bad teeth as a deal breaker. I have done what I can to have healthy teeth and most has been out of pocket. I am now 33 years old and in the the last three years have put $15,000 into my teeth. Unfortunately I was blessed with a whole mess of problems, but I will have "perfect teeth" in about a year. I can't to smile in all pictures! (Most of the money came from quitting smoking) I do have dental phobia, and avoided going for 8 years...of course. I did have insurance some of them
So, I chose not to date men with bad teeth, or smoke...my choice

Old 05-07-2016, 07:10 PM

5,578 posts, read 5,093,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairrockstar View Post
I agree with the original post; I also see bad teeth as a deal breaker. I have done what I can to have healthy teeth and most has been out of pocket. I am now 33 years old and in the the last three years have put $15,000 into my teeth. Unfortunately I was blessed with a whole mess of problems, but I will have "perfect teeth" in about a year. I can't to smile in all pictures! (Most of the money came from quitting smoking) I do have dental phobia, and avoided going for 8 years...of course. I did have insurance some of them
So, I chose not to date men with bad teeth, or smoke...my choice
Hey, I know it's been a while, but I never said bad teeth were a deal breaker. I was just wondering why people in general, and that guy in particular, wouldn't fix their teeth if they have dental insurance and a decent income. And for the record, the guy I mentioned in the original post? He was nice enough, but strange. Very strange. He was very detached from reality in many ways. Couldn't take no thanks for an answer. I was actually afraid of him for a while. (which had nothing to do with his teeth. All 4 of them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships