U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:10 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,867,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
You should probably see an orthodontist...I bet it would be a lot less money.
Have you priced orthodontia lately? I've had three kids go through braces. I could have put one of them. through a year-and-a-half of college with that money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM

23,992 posts, read 32,821,230 times
Quote:
I can't tell you how many professional adults I have met recently with really bad teeth. I don't mean to sound petty or judgemental, I'm just wondering what would prevent an educated employed person from taking care of their teeth.

I've met people with blackness around their gumline where they have crowns. People missing front teeth, people with discolored teeth. I had a blind date recently with a very nice gentleman who is clearly self conscious about his teeth. He was avoiding smiling or would duck his head to the side when he smiled. He KNOWS.

So why not just have them fixed?

And yes, it makes me wonder if maybe I should get my eyes fixed because don't people meet me and wonder "surely she knows those droopy eyes make her look bad."
Because adults are almost never covered on orthodonture policies on employee dental plans and even if they are, it's a fraction of the cost. If they have the money to fix ANYONE'S teeth, it'll be their kids...not them.

I had braces for two years and still have crooked teeth. I'm self-conscious about them, but not enough to get them fixed. It would cost thousands of dollars and take years. I have better things to spend the money on.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:44 PM

44,791 posts, read 36,172,094 times
I had my front teeth and my top gums knocked out in a car accident when I was 15, and my upper lip basically shredded as well as a big permanent scar on my chin. Many reconstructive surgeries later, over about a five year period, I can tell you that I am not one who takes a good smile for granted!

My lip looks normal though not as full as it was prior to the accident. I still can't feel parts of it but at least it moves normally whether I can feel it or not! Thankfully I don't have a smile which exposes my gums because there's no rebuilding them. But I did eventually get a permanent bridge - I say permanent but the life span on those is about 15-20 years and a few years ago I sprang for the $6000 to replace that old bridge. Hopefully that will carry me into my elder years and maybe beyond.

As someone who had a nice smile prior to smashing it into oblivion, and then having it rebuilt, I know what an impact a nice smile is vs. a shattered smile. Consequently, my teeth and oral health in general is a very high priority to me. If I have to choose between dental care and a vacation - I'm choosing dental care. If I have to choose between dental care and a luxury car vs a plan jane car - I'm going plain jane.

But hey, that's just me.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:37 AM

1,544 posts, read 662,761 times
Quote:
I can't tell you how many professional adults I have met recently with really bad teeth. I don't mean to sound petty or judgemental, I'm just wondering what would prevent an educated employed person from taking care of their teeth.

I've met people with blackness around their gumline where they have crowns. People missing front teeth, people with discolored teeth. I had a blind date recently with a very nice gentleman who is clearly self conscious about his teeth. He was avoiding smiling or would duck his head to the side when he smiled. He KNOWS.

So why not just have them fixed?

And yes, it makes me wonder if maybe I should get my eyes fixed because don't people meet me and wonder "surely she knows those droopy eyes make her look bad."
Try asking Johnny Depp this same question. Malocclusion is not sexy.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:50 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,080,807 times
In Dutch wise extra stuff other than 6 months control highly expensive and I am sure people struggle to live than fix their teeth cosmetically. I know what you mean. But we really don't know what they going through.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:03 AM

44,791 posts, read 36,172,094 times
I will say this much - when I see a person covered with tattoos but with bad teeth, I admit to thinking that their priorities differ greatly from mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships