U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:26 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,330,321 times

Advertisements

I'm with you, OP. I would never consider dating, let alone kissing someone with jacked teeth. Much gratitude to my parents for braces and wonderful advice from my orthodontist for suggesting a retainer for the rest of my life. I guess some people with jacked teeth don't value a little bit of debt for better social treatment. I've had other cosmetic procedures performed that I'm happy I had done, debt and all. All the negative people saying you shouldn't be vain obviously can't think positively to correct their ugly mess mouth. Boo-hoo....stop making our eyes bleed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM

363 posts, read 418,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
I've had two different dentists over the past four years and both said that my teeth were healthy, so I didn't care that they weren't perfect. I have braces now because after years with crooked teeth, particularly one in the front, I was beginning to feel uncomfortable with my smile. Luckily I have insurance that will pay for half, but not everyone has the means. Or maybe they prefer to spend their money on other things.
^^^This. Dental health is extremely important. Our neighbor had a stroke due to bacteria traveling from his mouth to his brain; and I have an uncle with a heart murmur who must take antibiotics prior to a teeth cleaning, for the same reason. Orthodontics is done for more than aesthetics reasons. Misaligned teeth can cause TMG, headaches and periodontal disease.

Personally, I like pretty, straight, white teeth and I've spent a lot of money for my kids and me to get them; but I have to agree, orthodontics is a bit of a racket. I shopped around A LOT and got a good deal on braces for my son, so I was only out of pocket $1,500 stretched out over a two year period, which is 50%-75% less than the estimates I received.

That said, my husband refuses to get his teeth fixed. He's totally not down with braces--Invisilign, clear, wires on the back of the teeth--nothing. He's just not having it. We've been married for close to 20 years, and he refuses to smile in photos. I brought up braces for him for the first time two months ago, but the answer was "no." Period.

Last edited by Voyageuse; 09-10-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM

13,239 posts, read 17,779,749 times
OP may just have to check her dates' teeth before going out with them.

I had braces from 12-18 for medical reasons. One piece, 24/7, lots of fun! In my 40s the front teeth started turning. Ok, it is 5k+ - fine. Three orthodontists later I gave up. Crooked teeth or all dental work removed, lower jaw sawed, no guarantee and 8-12 weeks out of work and 35k plus. A coworker had it done. It cost him severe nerve damage - temperature/taste. My left eye tooth is shaped like a fang - DH knows what it means when I bare it:>)

Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,470,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I'm with you, OP. I would never consider dating, let alone kissing someone with jacked teeth. Much gratitude to my parents for braces and wonderful advice from my orthodontist for suggesting a retainer for the rest of my life. I guess some people with jacked teeth don't value a little bit of debt for better social treatment. I've had other cosmetic procedures performed that I'm happy I had done, debt and all. All the negative people saying you shouldn't be vain obviously can't think positively to correct their ugly mess mouth. Boo-hoo....stop making our eyes bleed!
Well you made my eyes bleed reading this.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:00 PM

4,709 posts, read 3,504,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post

Perhaps you and the OP should start dating -- it appears you have at least one thing in common.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,330,321 times
Quote:
Well you made my eyes bleed reading this.
Get yourself an ocular tampon.

Quote:
Perhaps you and the OP should start dating -- it appears you have at least one thing in common.
Sounds like she practices good oral hygiene. I'm down!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM

537 posts, read 994,791 times
The same reason some people are jerks. They can be kind, but the cost of kindness is far exceeds the benefit of being cruel.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 PM

262 posts, read 439,048 times
Being someone who wears braces, I'd say it's rather expensive.

Maybe these people like their teeth, or don't care what they look like. Not everyone has the same goal plan...

Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM

262 posts, read 439,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe the better question is, why are Americans in particular so obsessed with artificially perfect teeth?

Good teeth: It's a sign of good health and(possibly) wealth. You have money to bleach your teeth? Well, what else can you afford?

Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,597,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
The only people I really wonder about are celebrities - like Steve Buscemi or Madonna. Their looks are a large part of their career, unlike the rest of us. Money isn't the issue.
There's nothing wrong with Madonna's teeth. Her gap is one of her trademarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships