U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,686,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
This! I just met these people. After asking in which part of town they live, do they have kids etc I have nothing else to say to them. Maybe I''m a little socially awkward but It never becomes an issue if I''m left alone but when I meet strangers, I get nervous & my mouth literally dries out etc. I''m just scared that if I go to lunch with them I''ll say the wrong things.

Plus I forgot to mention that I lied to get this job so since I was hired off of a fake CV I'm scared of unnecessary social interaction.
Bahahahhahahhah!!!!

And your only problem is Lunch with the Boss?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 02:14 PM

15,917 posts, read 12,709,689 times
I don't get it. What did you lie about exactly and what does CV stand for?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:16 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't get it. What did you lie about exactly and what does CV stand for?
CV= curriculum vitae=Resume.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 PM

15,917 posts, read 12,709,689 times
ok, thanks

Old 09-11-2013, 02:26 PM

13,106 posts, read 17,670,397 times
Quote:
This! I just met these people. After asking in which part of town they live, do they have kids etc I have nothing else to say to them. Maybe I''m a little socially awkward but It never becomes an issue if I''m left alone but when I meet strangers, I get nervous & my mouth literally dries out etc. I''m just scared that if I go to lunch with them I''ll say the wrong things.

Plus I forgot to mention that I lied to get this job so since I was hired off of a fake CV I'm scared of unnecessary social interaction.
I would be socially awkward with the boss based on this

Old 09-11-2013, 02:48 PM

16,888 posts, read 17,203,069 times
Quote:
This place is weird, where I worked before, people had individual lunch & most brought food from home. These community lunches are killing me. Today again I was done at 12 & she came over to ask if I would be ""joining them"" for lunch. I declined & said I would go pick up my kid. She had a forced smile & left. Now I'm not sure why she would think I would just go to lunch with people on a longer shift & when they resume work I should go home. She is a mother herself but her kids are grown but I do not know why she would expect me to pay for extra daycare just so I can lunch with her.

Maybe its me. I prefer to say hi to colleagues when I meet them on hallways or to really talk at meetings etc. I just want to meet them on a professional level these people are not my friends. Plus because the boss is an instigator of gossip, I prefer to stay clear of her. I had lunch with the team on my first day here I thought that was enough.

I feel weird about bringing home lunch when I''m sorrounded by ""3 course meal lunch buyers"".

I don't want to come off as unfriendly but I'm a little bit of a loner & something about her just makes me want to stay away.
Are you saying that you work shift ended at 12 noon and she wanted you to stay for lunch on your own time?

If that is the case then simply say, "I work until noon today, I need to go home now.", or "I'm scheduled until 12 0'clock. Do you need me to put in paid over time work today?" Perhaps, she just forgets that you have a shorter day.

Regarding lying on your resume. Bad move, you could fired at any time. I recently read about someone who lied on their job application, held the position for over 20 years and then was immediately fired when someone discovered that she lied to get the job.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 PM

451 posts, read 624,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Are you saying that you work shift ended at 12 noon and she wanted you to stay for lunch on your own time?

If that is the case then simply say, "I work until noon today, I need to go home now.", or "I'm scheduled until 12 0'clock. Do you need me to put in paid over time work today?" Perhaps, she just forgets that you have a shorter day.
This. We don't work for free. If she wants to "discuss" something work-related, then she needs to do it at a time you're getting paid. If she just wants to be social, try to grin and bear one or two, and then politely tell her you have other plans. I completely understand not wanting to spend more time with co-workers than is absolutely necessary, but getting on the boss' good side certainly can't hurt. Just be polite but firm about your boundaries.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:10 PM

3,395 posts, read 3,341,504 times
I had a new boss that took people to lunch (if they wanted to go) and sometimes dinner. I accepted every invitation and did my best to be charming and interesting.

It turns out he was checking to see who had good social skills to go on a trip to LA to train some other employees there. I got to go to Disneyland, visit family and have a great time in LA.

OP it's your decision if you want a cold relationship with your boss, but don't be surprised when someone else gets chosen for special projects or promotions...

Old 09-11-2013, 03:17 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,948,721 times
If you lied on your CV then you may want to get on her good side, not bad. Word of caution! Keep the convo about her, not you. Be boring. Eventually I'm sure she'llget the point.

I won't lecture you about lying on your resume but if you want to keep your job or keep people from being curious about you, then you need to keep the office gossip off of you. Being "mysterious" by avoiding lunches will guarantee you will invite curiosity.

I'm a get your work done and get home to your family ASAP kind of person so I know what you mean. However, sometimes, you really do have to play the game.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:34 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
If you lied on your CV then you may want to get on her good side, not bad. Word of caution! Keep the convo about her, not you. Be boring. Eventually I'm sure she'llget the point.

I won't lecture you about lying on your resume but if you want to keep your job or keep people from being curious about you, then you need to keep the office gossip off of you. Being "mysterious" by avoiding lunches will guarantee you will invite curiosity.

I'm a get your work done and get home to your family ASAP kind of person so I know what you mean. However, sometimes, you really do have to play the game.
@ the bolded, I guess I had not thought of it that way. Great point thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships