Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 09:57 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,704,143 times

Advertisements

People who have nothing better to do with their time than make lists of what qualifies others as "trash".

Isn't there a wonderful old saying out there that goes, "One man's trash is another man's treasure"? I think the same can be applied to many of the "qualifiers" listed by a few posters here. ....camping, smoking, wearing the wrong clothing after a certain date, eating processed foods? Really? Personally, if someone gets the title of "trash" from me, it's going to be after they've done something horrible....good gawd, and that something would have to be a hell of a lot more awful than camping!

Camping!? Really!? LOL **clicking my heels and saying, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home".**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:13 AM

88,301 posts, read 84,311,090 times
And who DOESN'T carry a baby by its leg? How else would one carry a baby? They don't have a handle. Geez, you people sure are judgmental.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,854,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Oh, my lovely back yard neighbors - they would argue loudly from inside the house and I could hear the in my front living front living room with the windows closed. They used to have these drinking get togethers and play "burn barrel basketball" and from the sounds of the cans hiting the pavement they weren't very good at it. ''

They had two boys and I only know one of their names which is Bpbby because he was constantly yelling at him. Bobby was swimming the neighbor's pool across the street and of course his dad is hollering and screaming for him and I saw him and said outloud to myself, "run Bobby, run and just keep going."

As if things weren't bad even they got a dog and tied it to the basketball hoop pole and leaving it out when they were out and the dog barked constantly and it echoed because of the space between the garage and house.

The back of his garage was falling down big time and the lady who used to live next to me called the building insptector - his solution was "Kentucky siding" that is just the tar paper.

Every Sunday he fires of this chainsaw aroun 5pm like clockwork. Thing is he has no trees or bushes. However, I haven't heard or seen the wife and the boys for a while now....hmm
Seems to me, a native Kentuckian, that using derogatory terms such as that bolded above is not exactly - well, un-trashy.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:36 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,688,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And who DOESN'T carry a baby by its leg? How else would one carry a baby? They don't have a handle. Geez, you people sure are judgmental.
Exactly. And when your arms are really tired and you can't hold the baby high enough and the baby's head drags through the dirt and its hair gets all dirty and full of stickers and needs a bath but it's not Saturday yet, I suppose then I'm a bad mom? You people are really picky.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,842,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Does this alleviate responsibility for your words and thoughts?
Um, no. I stand by my words and thoughts as expressed here.

What I was responding to was the notion that we should never judge anyone, when "judge not, lest ye be judged" really means "don't judge unless you're willing to be judged by the same standards." I am. I also believe on judging people by the content of their character, as a great hero advised us all to. the content of our character is revealed through our words and actions. If our actions are "trashy," meaning vulgar, disrespectful, wasteful, sloppy, or immoral, what does that reveal about the person?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,625,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
pics of honey boo boo
Ah, so she does have a real name. I wondered.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:19 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,891,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Um, no. I stand by my words and thoughts as expressed here.

What I was responding to was the notion that we should never judge anyone, when "judge not, lest ye be judged" really means "don't judge unless you're willing to be judged by the same standards." I am. I also believe on judging people by the content of their character, as a great hero advised us all to. the content of our character is revealed through our words and actions. If our actions are "trashy," meaning vulgar, disrespectful, wasteful, sloppy, or immoral, what does that reveal about the person?
But who are you to judge in the first place? I realize people can exhibit anti-social behavior, and I am not condoning it. But I have an issue with the idea that humans are being compared to trash. That doesn't say character to me. It screams class racism and indicates a superiority complex. It's not so far off from the untouchables caste system in India.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:28 PM

100 posts, read 70,152 times
People who beep their horns instead of getting off their butts and ringing the bell or calling them up. At my last place we had to go outside and tell people not to blow their horn at 7 am. My window overlooked the alley....

Old 09-18-2013, 01:46 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,842,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
But who are you to judge in the first place? I realize people can exhibit anti-social behavior, and I am not condoning it. But I have an issue with the idea that humans are being compared to trash. That doesn't say character to me. It screams class racism and indicates a superiority complex. It's not so far off from the untouchables caste system in India.

We ALL have the ability and right to judge the behavior of others and we SHOULD do so, as well as judging our own behavior by the same standards. I think there's been a problem with the decrease in exercising such judgment in some, and the total abandonment of such judgment among others. We are part of a civil society, and like it or not there are expectations of all of us. There is certainly room for argument and individual opinion for what's acceptable regarding things like tattoos, working on cars, revealing clothing, etc. But unless we, for the most part, adhere to some minimum standards, we lose the civility of our society.

For example, most of us have decided together that racial slurs are unacceptable in polite society. Like it or not, most of us think that's a good thing that we've deemed this unacceptable. I'm sure there might be people who reject this social expectation, but they are in the minority. So when someone violates that expectation and spews out racist comments, we form judgments about that person's character, and I maintain that we SHOULD form those judgments. Our judgments might take the form of:
"Oh! that person's a racist. I don't want to associate with him anymore. I need to distance myself"
or "Wow, that person has very poor judgment about what is acceptable behavior in society!"
or "Wow, I don't want that person working for me, since she says such things."
or "Wow, that person seems like a racist. Maybe I need to educate him/her."
or "Uh oh, this person sounds like someone I don't want to date."
All those judgments are valid and valuable.

Using the term "trashy" or comparing such people to "trash" is just about word choice. If I start talking about decorum, impropriety, or "coarseness" it might not carry the same weight, or have the same kind of universal understanding as "trashy vs. classy" does. Yes, I label such people "trash" or "trashy" when I've made that judgment about them. But it doesn't mean I don't still see them as human beings. It doesn't mean I wouldn't jump in and perform CPR on them or try to rescue them from a burning building. I would do that for any human, even those I deem "trashy." You seem to think that simply labeling a person "trash" means I've completely dehumanized them. Nope, I've only labeled their behavior trashy.

I've already responded at length to the "class racism" idea. that's getting quite old, and it's actually absurd. I've made it very clear that I don't associate race or socioeconomic status with trashy vs. classy behavior. No one responded to my response, but just slipped back into the knee-jerk reaction of "you must hate the poor!" It's pretty tiring.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:21 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,608,048 times
Trashbags:

women with tattoos
cigarette smokers
people who ask you for money to buy their cigarettes
speaking poor grammar
someone asking to borrow your clothes and never giving them back
moving someone and they don't offer to give you gas money or buy you lunch after
people who use their phone (text, surf the web) during a live theater production
littering
poor manners
drunks
poor dental hygiene
loud indoor voices and obnoxious loud laughter

Quote:
Pit Bull owners. extra thrash points per kid and per bully type dog in the household.
LOL! YES! Someone else who sees these owners for what they are = TRASH!

Last edited by Ragazza2011; 09-18-2013 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships