Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 03:54 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i twerk hard 4 the money View Post
Mine:

1. Littering. 'Nuff said. Low-class action and if you look at most of the litter out there, it's fast food. So crap food leads to crap actions.

2. Blasting music from car or apt.

3. Tats.

4. Spitting.

5. Spinning rimz. Ever buy a book, Einstein?
"Trashy" means people who think loud, ignorant, selfish behavior = strength and independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 03:55 PM

258 posts, read 347,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I've never joined a forum just to tell someone off, but, quite a few years ago someone joined a forum just to scream at me. I'd made a comment about not liking the way Joe Lieberman's voice sounded, that he spoke so slowly.... very soon, a poster was screaming, RACIST!! YOU ARE A RACIST!!.
Oh, my, what a shock hearing such an ignorant accusation.
Were you replying to what I wrote earlier, or were you just sharing?

Or were you telling me in some oblique way that I made an "ignorant accusation"?

Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
Drivers who speed and zig zag in and out of heavy, in town traffic. Also drivers who don't use turn signals. I guess these are bad driving habits, but for some reason, unsafe and ignorant driving seems trashy to me.

People who collect welfare and sit out in front of their apartment (or trailer) all day and deal illegal drugs.

People who yell when they talk. Double points if they are talking loudly on a cell phone while discussing highly personal issues like family drama and baby daddy problems.

People who don't pay attention to hygiene and clothes. They go out with greasy hair, dirty clothes, flip flops, wear clothes too small or too big for them, stink, etc.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
Were you replying to what I wrote earlier, or were you just sharing?

Or were you telling me in some oblique way that I made an "ignorant accusation"?
No, no... not your last sentence! When I finished writing that post, I realize it didn't really relate to what you'd written, but, I liked my Leiberman incident and hit the submit button.... so, a roundabout way of sharing.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
forming opinions about others based on solitary, isolated actions that DID NOT INVOLVE physical abuse or sexual misconduct.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Farting....belching.....loudly thinking its sooooo funny.....

Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Anything related to poverty or social assistance is not "trashy". I think that some people are using this thread as a place to air their own political agenda.

"Class" or lack of it (trashy behavior) has NOTHING TO DO WITH MONEY. Or RACE. Or ethnicity.

I did not make this up. It isn't my opinion, it is FACT in the field of of Sociology.

So, if you think that any of the following are "trashy" you are mistaken and you are pushing your right wing political agenda.

1. RENTING is NOT TRASHY. Sorry guys, but not everyone's parents give the 25 thousand a piece for a down payment when they marry. I'm not sure what the going rate for the down payment assistance as a wedding gift is now but that was pretty common in the 1980s.
Since wealth tends to stay within families, a newly married couple you are the children of home owners will find it easier to own a home, even if a large amount of assistance is not given.

Some newly weds live in converted garages or finished basements where they can save for a house. Again that would be impossible in a rented apartment and quite possibly a rented house where landlords often restrict the amount of tenants in a building.

2. SECTION 8 is not trashy and everyone who avails themselves of this governmental program is not deserving of that label. Some people use it in the beginning of a marriage to help defray the cost of rent. This is more common than you might think in high priced areas.
They use this time to learn a trade or obtain a degree.
There is nothing wrong with needing help from the government for a few years.
Disabled people often live on section 8. Are the disabled "trashy"?

3. Using a laundromat? How on earth can that be construed as trashy? People who do not have washing machines and dryers also need clean clothes. I am sure that they would love to stop using a laundromat if they could.

I have known very classy, elegant and well educated people in each of these situations.

If some individuals abuse Section 8 or food stamps (EBT), and I am sure there are many; then we need to find out why and reform the program - NOT END IT.
One way to end abuse would be to require those receiving these programs to learn a trade and attend college. While on the program, they should refrain from having more children.

It is cruel to make fun of those who have no way to support themselves. I happen to believe that it is the responsibility of the government to help the poor to better themselves and to be able to be self sufficient.

There are so many corporations who pay people less than a minimum wage and ACTUALLY TELL THEM TO APPLY FOR FOOD STAMPS! Walmart is infamous for this. As are several Fast Food restaurants.

Why isn't anyone OUTRAGED that MULTIMILLION DOLLAR CORPORATIONS are ENCOURAGING heir employees to live off of YOUR TAX DOLLARS - when it would not hurt them at all to pay a living wage for hard work.

And why does ANYONE identify with these huge corporations and see their workers as The Enemy?

People can exhibit "Trashy behavior" at MANY LEVELS of the SOCIAL STRATA.

Try this example. If you have graduated from high school with a "C" average and you some how find yourself at YALE UNIVERSITY because your parents BOUGHT YOUR ENTRANCE - THAT is TRASHY. The Republicans are always talking about "entitled poor people".

How about "The entitled RICH"? Trust me, there are many of them.

If you are a HS grad with a "C" average you have the RIGHT to attend your local cc or a less selective school. Sorry but that's it.

Tattoos trashy? Not anymore. I know many young professionals and students who sport tattoos. I don't have one, but my pastor does as does an attorney friend. Many people in creative fields do.

Pit Bulls can not be "trashy" - they are animals not humans and they do not possess agency to improve their life or to decide what neighborhood they want to reside in.

DOG FIGHTING and DOG TORTURE is WORSE THAN TRASHY. IT"S TRASHY and SADISTIC.
As someone who has been involved with animal rescue, particularly dogs, I have fostered many pit bulls and I've adopted three of them.

Buying a Goldren Retriever or a Labrador in order to give the impression of wealth is pretentious. A living being is not an accessory.
Very well said, sheena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It's a lot easier to see someone as trash from a safe distance. I'm sure there were times in my life when people thought I was trash. I grew up poor, in an inner city neighborhood. I was very rough around the edges growing up and didn't always have the poise and self control to conduct myself in the most appropriate manner at all times. Most don't. But I never considered myself a bad person or garbage. I've known a lot of folks who most have written off as trash, but when you get to know them you discover they aren't bad people. Most of them didn't draw the winning parent lottery ticket, and ultimately received little to no guidance, as though raised by wolves.

While I don't like making excuses for the bad behavior of others, not everyone is dealt the same hand. The ones who I often think to myself as trash are the ones who choose to be ignorant or corrupt. The ones who choose to act like baboons and gibbons. The privileged white suburban guy who tries hard to act like an urban street thug, the race baiting activists and politicians who take advantage of and exploit their own race, the stodgy "old money" politicians who use the working class as pawns while making and breaking the same old promises, network executives who get rich by paying a pittance to watch the feeble and intellectually challenged get on television and exploit themselves like a circus act...and the list goes on.
In my area, you find a lot of people like that. They're kind of "rough around the edges", but they're decent people, and I can't put them down for a lot of things that they can't change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Disagree, for I know lots of people who have had the advantages of education, good education, and other things that squandered them all.

I volunteer at a homeless shelter. I know there are plenty there who really did not have the benefit of a good home or a good education. But I have also seen a very large number of homeless who had everything in life and then chucked it all away for another pull on the bottle or another line of blow.

Mind you, I refuse to call alcoholism, drug addiction, or sexual addiction a disease. Sure, it's a behavioral problem, but it isn't a disease. For to succumb to the notion that these problems are diseases is to basically blame the disease rather than be accountable for one's actions in life. If alcoholism were really a disease, then why is our prescribed method for treating it amount to standing in a room full of strangers and talking about how you screwed up in life and turning one's trust over to a higher power? You wouldn't do that for cancer or diabetes, would you?

So yeah, it's very much a behavior thing, and a selfish behavior thing at that.
We don't get to choose who we come from or how we're raised or how we react to life's stresses. Instead of being so judgmental, you might consider that "there but for the grace of God, go I".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The twisted logic of someone who thinks its ok to refute evidence based theory of disease would be the same person who calls sufferers of "behavioral problems" trash.
I agree. Life is pretty much a lottery. Many homeless people who are alcoholics or drug addicts end up that way because they have mental illnesses, and the booze or drugs are their self-medication.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole;31430158[B
]Women/girls with a bun on top of their head[/b]. As vulgar as men with bald vs. bald/tattoed head!

You're talking about my late grandmother.....

Actually, her long hair was worn in a bun more on the back of her head - does that make her less "trashy", in your view??

Old 09-20-2013, 09:57 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
People with illegitimate children.

Tats.

Renters.

People that work on their own cars.

People that leave the car outside when they have a garage. Having more cars than you have garage space for.

People that camp.

People that use a coin operated laundry.

People with kids on the school lunch program that feel no shame.

People that cheat on a spouse. People that hit a spouse.

I could go on but I think I p***** off enough already.
These are a tad harsh, and I don't think anyone is inherently trash, but there are trashy behaviors.

As for this list, what about college students and young adults who rent because they relocate frequently and aren't sure they want to settle in one place yet? It's typically not smart to buy if you're going to relocate in a couple of years.

And what's wrong with working on your own car if you enjoy it? It's really not hurting anyone else. The same goes for camping for people who enjoy the outdoors.

As far as garages go, there are portions of the U.S. where virtually no one has a garage because of space issues unless they live in a ticky-tacky exurb.

And there are a lot of reasons for using a coin-op laundry, especially if you're at a point in your life when you are trying to travel light due to the aforementioned mobility reasons.

As for me, I think spitting, wearing ill-fitting clothing, unimaginative public cursing, and dressing overly casually are trashy behaviors. I can totally get behind witty cursing.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,707 times
I have not read through this thread but people who are mean to animals or neglect their pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships