U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 06:55 PM

1,178 posts, read 787,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Girls and women who use the F word . It really lowers my opinion of them a lot and makes them cheap. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Don

I think men sounds just as trashy saying the F word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 787,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree with all of this.Making fun of the poor is classless and mean spirited. Watching "Fox News" - a network that does this regularly contributes to hostility towards poor people is trashy.

All poor people are not "trashy".

Last I checked the Kardashians had a great deal of money.

Not true! I have never seen anything close to this when I watch it. I have been poor and still was when it started and never felt this way.

Being poor does not make someone trashy and being rich does not make someone classy.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:19 AM

100 posts, read 58,775 times
Putting your cell phone on speaker phone in public. Talking really close into your phone like it's a walkie-talkie? Yup, you are TRASHY, TRASHY, TRASHY!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM

1,787 posts, read 4,965,450 times
- sofa on the front porch

- chipped and grown out nail polish

- no shirt with man boobs hanging out

- stuffed animals lined up along the rear window in the car, with a huge air freshener in the shape of a crown

Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,647,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I don't disagree. There may be all kinds of reasons. But none of that makes the "trashy" behavior not trashy.

For example,
Substitute the word "unhealthy" for "trashy." There are lots of reasons why people engage in unhealthy behaviors--overeating, eating unhealthful food, smoking, etc--but even when you consider and debate all those reasons, it doesn't take away any of the "unhealthiness" of those behaviors. They are still unhealthy.
Except that unlike "unhealthy", "trashy" isn't scientific and testable. It's a made-up word that's completely subjective saying more about the perspective of the person using it than about an actual reality.

If one's perspective isn't impacted in the least by the underlying reasons or prompts them to make sweeping generalizations about the underlying reasons (like with the check cashing thing), they can easily come across as being "judgmental" rather than just having an opinion.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 PM

501 posts, read 665,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Calling people trash.
Exactly. The ignorance and refusal of someone to acknowledge another person's individual actions as "trashy" versus being lazy and labeling a whole persona.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
- sofa on the front porch

- chipped and grown out nail polish

- no shirt with man boobs hanging out

- stuffed animals lined up along the rear window in the car, with a huge air freshener in the shape of a crown
People still do that? I didn't know those things are still being sold in stores.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I have not read through this thread but people who are mean to animals or neglect their pets.
I won't call these people garbage because that can be recycled and reused, they are certainly lower than that. I HATE people who do that.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,647,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Most of these are not class and cultural differences. It is not cultural to be obnoxious, rude, lazy, or irresponsible. As far as class differences go, these qualities are no different whether you are rich or poor. For example. a spoiled rich brat who doesn't get a job is no different from a person on welfare who refuses to get a job. Let's try not to get PC just for the sake of being PC. I also agree with you on the spitting thing though. That is disgusting.
I couldn't give two pricks and a thimble about being PC. PC to me would lean towards suggesting that people whose lists are comprised of things most readily associated with a particular class or culture weren't thinking about those particular groups when they made it. Especially when they're things that have little or nothing at all to do with behaviors you mentioned, which aren't the things I was referring to.

As for the rest of this thread, it's kind of funny in an absurdity of life sort of way how many people would consider me trashy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Tops on women where you can see all of the bra strap too. Tacky tacky!
I do this because I don't care if someone can see my bra strap, especially if I'm just wearing little tanks or something in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
People who wear pajama bottoms in public. People walking down the street pushing grocery carts of food purchased at the grocery store the cart belongs to.
Guilty! I live within a few blocks of a shopping center and there are times when I want to run out and grab something early in the morning but don't feel like I need to get "dressed" to do it. I've even run some quick errands with rollers in my hair! *gasp*

I laugh about the cart thing because I blend in with the crazy cart folk. I walk everywhere within walking distance, including my grocery store. Most of the time I buy groceries and just carry them back. On some occasions, I need more than I can carry so I'll walk the cart back to my place, put the groceries away, and walk the cart back to the store.

Trashy to me is walking off with a cart and just leaving it in some random place as if you have no respect for the store's property or the property you're leaving it on. Carts on a railroad track. Carts in someone's lawn. Carts just rolling down a highway.

I've also used a laundromat, gone camping, used a check cashing place, and I'm sure plenty of other things mentioned here that ultimately mean nothing. I could explain the why behind everything I do but I'm perhaps the trashiest type of person of all - the kind who doesn't feel they have to explain themselves lol

Totally agree with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
people who disrespect your property and have to be told to please dont do that
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
People who make a mess out of public/work restrooms and don't clean up after themselves. Urine all over the seat, used tampons not proerly discarded, and worse. Do these people treat their OWN bathrooms like this?

Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,513,392 times
Being a fan of the opposing team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships