Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Where is this a normal thing to do?
Asia, especially China, Vietnam and Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Women/girls with a bun on top of their head. As vulgar as men with bald vs. bald/tattoed head!
What's wrong with buns?

Some men shave their heads bald because being bald feels nicer or they are losing most of their hair anyway. Being bald looks better than having a comb-over.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
I don't like the term 'Trash' but I understand differentiating between behavior by someone that makes you want to keep your distance.

To me, the only issue is being a total slave to one's appetites and impulses in life. This covers a world of sins, from overeating to being really non-discriminatory in bed partners to being inconsiderate of others. If you can't manage to keep your id in check, then you are a person who cannot be wholly trusted to make wise decisions. In turn that means that you'll make life miserable for those around you.

Hell, I went to a funeral yesterday for a guy like that. Great guy in a whole host of ways. Loved to party. Had a diverse set of friends. Hey, if there was a party, Chuck was your guy. Too bad that, over the years, he could not control his urges and became a raging alcoholic until he died last week. In his wake he left a bitter ex-wife and two teenaged children who will cope with his selfish decisions for the rest of their lives.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
people that like to use drugs & get high

heavily tattooed people that look like a comic book [looks very dumb]

especially ladies, makes you look like trash, the older they are the worse they look with those stupid tattooes, it no longer looks hip or fashionable, makes them look like a dirty bum

able bodied people on disability, seems like everybody is on some type of disability? even lazy fat people or former drug addicts use that as an excuse , for a disability [self made disabilty]

why so many people these days claim they are BI-POLAR? why not just say Retarded?

most homeless people are trash, they choose to live that way

I saw a homeless low life trash in a wheel chair with a sticker that said "product of the current economy or something like that? even if the economy was doing better I be that person would still be the same worthless bum claiming some type of disability, they were already a bum before the economy was bad

Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry bowa View Post
i'm borderline white trash and i don't give a f***! :d
^^^ that.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
The one half of a couple you know well who confides in you that s/he is pursuing an affair. I do not want to be your accomplice, thank you.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,744 times
Human beings should not be characterized as "trashy." A little deeper compassion is called for here. People who one normally associates with being "trashy" are suffering from poor family support, poor education, poor diet, and just general bad luck. They're more to be pitied than looked down on, and those of us who enjoy looking down on people are usually the ones barely on the edge of that, ourselves, and the mechanics of this is that it makes us feel better about ourselves. Not a very admirable trait on our parts.

Probably the road to happiness is not to make a habit of looking down on others, but to devote yourself to some area such as promoting education, or making music, or doing science. In this way you both secure your own happiness and welfare, and contribute to the happiness of others.

But "trashy?" Someone who does not have any family support, or family are all pretty much unable to help them or provide good role models, and the person has no education. This is then reflected in their dress, language and attitudes. If the most important values in life are "kindliness and intelligence" (to quote Bertrand Russell), then these people who have perhaps never been shown much kindness, will be less able to show kindness to others; people who have not had the advantages of education and family support are less able to express themselves well, may be full of anger and resentment towards others who have had better luck in life, but are nevertheless people, who are doing the best they can under unfortunate circumstances.

Addendum:
Going back and reading the whole thread. Lots of great posts.

Last edited by jtaustin; 09-17-2013 at 06:03 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 07:05 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Quote:
most homeless people are trash
Oddly enough I dont consider the homeless trash. The ones here in Dayton seem to be pretty quiet w.o that arrogant I dont give a F attitude I ascribe to true PWT...and quite a few of the homeless seem to be 'off' in some way.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
It's a lot easier to see someone as trash from a safe distance. I'm sure there were times in my life when people thought I was trash. I grew up poor, in an inner city neighborhood. I was very rough around the edges growing up and didn't always have the poise and self control to conduct myself in the most appropriate manner at all times. Most don't. But I never considered myself a bad person or garbage. I've known a lot of folks who most have written off as trash, but when you get to know them you discover they aren't bad people. Most of them didn't draw the winning parent lottery ticket, and ultimately received little to no guidance, as though raised by wolves.

While I don't like making excuses for the bad behavior of others, not everyone is dealt the same hand. The ones who I often think to myself as trash are the ones who choose to be ignorant or corrupt. The ones who choose to act like baboons and gibbons. The privileged white suburban guy who tries hard to act like an urban street thug, the race baiting activists and politicians who take advantage of and exploit their own race, the stodgy "old money" politicians who use the working class as pawns while making and breaking the same old promises, network executives who get rich by paying a pittance to watch the feeble and intellectually challenged get on television and exploit themselves like a circus act...and the list goes on.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It's a lot easier to see someone as trash from a safe distance. I'm sure there were times in my life when people thought I was trash. I grew up poor, in an inner city neighborhood. I was very rough around the edges growing up and didn't always have the poise and self control to conduct myself in the most appropriate manner at all times. Most don't. But I never considered myself a bad person or garbage. I've known a lot of folks who most have written off as trash, but when you get to know them you discover they aren't bad people. Most of them didn't draw the winning parent lottery ticket, and ultimately received little to no guidance, as though raised by wolves.

While I don't like making excuses for the bad behavior of others, not everyone is dealt the same hand. The ones who I often think to myself as trash are the ones who choose to be ignorant or corrupt. The ones who choose to act like baboons and gibbons. The privileged white suburban guy who tries hard to act like an urban street thug, the race baiting activists and politicians who take advantage of and exploit their own race, the stodgy "old money" politicians who use the working class as pawns while making and breaking the same old promises, network executives who get rich by paying a pittance to watch the feeble and intellectually challenged get on television and exploit themselves like a circus act...and the list goes on.

@Coolhand: Language is so important (acquisition of, elegant use of). You may have grown up poor, but somehow you learned to use the language in an elegant way. No one with the consciousness and beautiful use of language you exhibit in your second paragraph could even remotely be considered trashy. Not a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships