U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:13 PM

1,249 posts, read 3,678,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
That story is a prime example of the disconnect some trendy young people have with people who face genuine hardships like the firefighters you mentioned. The next "in" thing tends to be more important to them than the pertinent circumstances like how the firefighters risked their lives.
Firefighters? how about anyone not in the top 1% - 5% (or come from a family from that socioeconomic strata).???

Old 09-15-2013, 03:18 PM

1,249 posts, read 3,678,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
From my observation, the yuppie/hipster schpeel doesn't tend to continue into the 30s and 40s so I dismiss it as young people trying to find their place. Eventually, I suppose they stop taking themselves so seriously, figuring that we all are going to be food for worms in the long run so why not lighten up a little. I don't know, but it sure can be frustrating at times. Thoughts/comments/opinions?
really?? In the NYC metropolitan area they are the dominant group (the yuppie, preppie, hipster types) and in their 30's & 40's they become even more obnoxious but then again many if not most members of the top 1% - 5% have a real I am 'better than you' mentality..

Old 09-15-2013, 05:11 PM

42,626 posts, read 41,354,662 times
1) I can't believe that you honestly don't believe you are judgmental. All your threads are full of judgment of those around you. Ironically, extreme self-absorption is also one of the primary traits of the super-trendy.

2) Your problem is one that many hyper-intelligent only children share. I also can assure you that superficiality is not limited to the young, and many older adults are really the exact same people they were as 20-year-olds. There are so many ridiculous people in this world. But if you want to be accepted as you are, you have to do the same for others.

3) Find other misanthropes. It won't be easy, since they will be sitting alone or with one other "trusted" friend, but it may be easier for you to endure this world if you focus on understanding who YOU are and work on making that something beneficial.

4) I've said this to you before, but it's easy to sit around and judge others by what you observe during chance encounters. Contempt for others shortens your life. Find things that make you happy and do those things.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,106,931 times
Off-topic for this forum. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships