U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 29,864 times

Advertisements

If you are looking to advance in most jobs- OUTWARD appearances are important. I knew a guy who was the most intelligent hard working guy you want to know. He was never promoted even though he was more than qualified- he rarely shaved and had a permanent 5 o'clock shadow. He also wore goofy ties will Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, or other juvenile stuff on them. Working in finance- Would you work with this guy or a person clean shaven and dressed to the nines? Most people will THINK the well groomed person is more professional just by his appearance.

Outside of employment, what difference does it make. I would however, as a man would not be into a woman who looks like she just rolled out of bed ALL THE TIME. Hey I like it sit around in my sweats and dress casually. There is a difference however from being dressed real casually and a hot mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 02:07 PM

34,232 posts, read 41,228,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
I mean, if I think I'm pretty then I'm pretty. Right? RIGHT? RIGGHT!!? I'm kind of right, right?

I read a quote similar on Tumblr(but with more detail) but I sadly can't remember it.

Anyways, if I find myself attractive why should I care what others think of my appearance? Shouldn't it be what I think of myself instead of what others think of me? I know the logic is flawed, but if people thought that way people would be a little happier.
If you think you're pretty thats all that matters, its positive thinking and positive thinking is a plus in life..

Old 09-15-2013, 02:16 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,165,230 times
Quote:
I mean, if I think I'm pretty then I'm pretty. Right? RIGHT? RIGGHT!!? I'm kind of right, right?

I read a quote similar on Tumblr(but with more detail) but I sadly can't remember it.

Anyways, if I find myself attractive why should I care what others think of my appearance? Shouldn't it be what I think of myself instead of what others think of me? I know the logic is flawed, but if people thought that way people would be a little happier.
Because you don't live in a bubble or on an island to yourself...By nature, we desire to form intimate bonds with one another, whether it be through families, friends, or boyfriends/girlfriends/husbands/wives...And part of that (whether or not you agree) is being accepted by them. Part of this acceptance manifests itself in the form of form needing validation of our personal appearance/looks.

We want and need approval.

That being said, IMHO, our current culture is hypersexual and completely self-absorbed, in terms of looks. Go to any mall, for instance, and see the plethora of cosmetic counters, beauty/fashion products, or even victoria's secret stores/displays. Even logging onto the internet, and seeing celebs who go on diets xyz, or use products xyz, or wear fashion items by xyz. It's very difficult to escape w/o feeling inadequate.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:54 PM

319 posts, read 381,104 times
I'm of the opinion that people should dress and look however they want, as long as the appropriate bits are covered, the clothing in question doesn't jeopardize the safety of others in some way, and no offensive odors are being emanated. Are you happiest wearing pajama bottoms and mismatched vinyl flip-flops everywhere you go? Then I say go for it!

Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
I'm of the opinion that people should dress and look however they want, as long as the appropriate bits are covered, the clothing in question doesn't jeopardize the safety of others in some way, and no offensive odors are being emanated. Are you happiest wearing pajama bottoms and mismatched vinyl flip-flops everywhere you go? Then I say go for it!
So i'm guessing you wouldnt be for government enacting legislation banning any form of religious symbolism whether through jewelery or clothing attire..
Thats just what they are trying to do up here in Quebec.
Charter of Quebec values would ban religious symbols for public workers - Montreal - CBC News

Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 AM

2,396 posts, read 2,402,867 times
Quote:

If we want other persons (whether you are opposite sex-oriented or same-sex-oriented) to embrace us as a whole and include us in their lives as dating partners or romantic interests or bed partners or marriage partners, then it is obvious that we each MUST be concerned with how we are perceived by others as to our degree of attractiveness. In this context, it doesn't matter that WE think highly of ourselves (looks-wise) and think that we are all that . . . for if the other person(s) doesn't find us attractive or attractive enough, then we will not get anywhere with them. If, on the other hand, you intend to function in life as an island unto yourself, then how you look is only your own concern.

We can't deny that what I can call "sensuality" is a foundational aspect of human nature, inherent in ALL humans (whether they acknowledge it to themselves or not). Everyone (and I do mean *everyone*) cares, to some degree, about how others appeal or not appeal to their senses (hence, the term "SENSuality" . . . implyiing how we are perceived & how we perceive others through our senses).

In summary, if we think we're all that but others (by-and-large) don't think so and we wish to be appealing to and to be taken on by said others (and presumably others who are THEMSELVES attractive or attractive enough to US . . . unless you yourself don't care at all about the looks of the other person and are just concerning with "what is on the inside", as some people phrase it), then we must do what we can to make ourselves as appealing as is reasonable. Such as with being well-groomed and attending to the big and small details, not ever being lax about our personal hygiene, dressing in a way that best complements us and accentuates our best qualities, keeping our weight/body stature in check (unless we don't care about this & are open to or looking to attract other persons of large body stature, like ourselves), fixing our teeth if needed & smiling in a pleasing way, and so on. Those who deny the role of sensuality in interpersonal interactions are deluding themselves and not living in reality. It is the way it is, whether we like it or not. If there is a god (by whatever name), then apparently this is how that god apparently made us to be . . . and if, instead, there is no god and we are simply the by-products of the forces of nature, then this is apparently how nature made us to be (i.e., saying that we are this way BY OUR VERY NATURE). You will find this prevalent throughout all cultures, all peoples, and throughout all of human history (as far as anthropologists, sociologists, social psychologists, biologists, and historians can tell). ALL people care about personal attractiveness or lack thereof.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 AM

319 posts, read 381,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
So i'm guessing you wouldnt be for government enacting legislation banning any form of religious symbolism whether through jewelery or clothing attire..
Thats just what they are trying to do up here in Quebec.
Charter of Quebec values would ban religious symbols for public workers - Montreal - CBC News
Thanks for posting this. I do oppose this legislation. How do you feel about it?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
Thanks for posting this. I do oppose this legislation. How do you feel about it?
I hate it, as legislation titled Charter of Quebec values can be interpreted many ways.IMO opinion it gives the government a very large blank check to do anything it wants in the name of a Quebec value,
Who sets the standard of what constitutes a value? While as is this charter doesnt affect me how long before the government of Quebec views English Quebecers as a non value and it becomes illegal to be English or people who may look like the op whatever that might be are forbidden, i could go on but were are drifting off topic (sorry), if you want to discus it further its a prominent topic in the Canadian section.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 AM

532 posts, read 905,355 times
I would focus on health, mental clarity, style, physical strength, and your intellectual life. What you look like should be based on these things, not some fashion of the day.

And don't use "Anyways.."; it's not a word. Makes you sound stupid, which I'm sure you're not.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 AM

5,404 posts, read 8,099,769 times
You should care what people think ONLY TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. Of course when you start obsessing on what people think to the point where you're getting depressed & everything in your life is being affected (home life, school, career, etc.), then that's the time to seek a therapist on how to cope & get strategies on why you let strangers affect you & how to stop it.

Some people may say that most people KNOW whether they are good-looking or pretty or not. I think that's true, but then there's those who aren't all that & have such a big head. There's a fine line between having confidence & being egotistical about it.

I guess if you think you're pretty, then you think you're pretty, but don't walk around thinking you're the hottest thing on two feet & no one else compares. In my opinion, there's truly VERY ugly people, then regular ugly people, then so-so/average-looking people, then there's good-looking people. A small percentage are truly strikingly beautiful or handsome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships