Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:45 PM

389 posts, read 920,850 times

Advertisements

I have been living in apartment for a quite long time and unfortunately moving out is not one of my options yet. Right now I sit most of my time at home looking for a job and interviewing over phone. But the woman upstairs drive me crazy. She's almost whole day in her apartment too and when she is, she walks back and forth for extended periods above me between my room, bathroom, living room. This clomping is so loud and annoying you can hear glass lamp shaking slightly when she walks on floor above it. It used to be when I worked and did night shift, I could hear her on weekends. I once went up to talk to her if she could walk softer when I sleep before getting to work so she agreed but after few weeks I was woken up by her heavy footsteps early evening or late afternoon before I had chance to get full sleep before my work shift. And on free days, when I was awake at night, I could many times even then hear her clomping around like crazy when she came late from work. Now she still continues doing this and it drives me crazy. The only "safe" place I have is in my parents bedroom when they are away where i can still hear her clomping but its not direct to my ears. Thats where I have to be to focus and prepare for job interviews!

Sometimes I think about getting my broom and hit my ceiling when she clomps around. Can this help me and get her attention? I have done a while ago a civilized talking to her about how disturbing her heavy steps were below me but she said she won't walk on toes. Also I noticed she has hardwood floor instead of carpet I have in my apartment. I get it, she can't walk on toes. But I don't get why she doesn't stop walking across the whole apartment. It takes not a minute or 2 but half hour- sometimes hour long. Also I can distinct between walking and floors squeaking and clomping and the way she walks it sounds like the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:01 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Go to a coffee shop or someplace where there is wireless access to do your job searches. When at home, try earplugs if it gets to be too much. There's really not much you can do unless the landlord has a rule that the floor must be carpeted. She walks how she walks. The people next to me are kind of large, and although I can't hear them, the apartment below them has turned over four times in the five years I've been here. The last guy said he was moving out because he could hear the woman thumping around, so that must be why no one "sticks" in that apartment.

I wouldn't hit the ceiling with a broom. You may put a hole in the ceiling, and it's not going to accomplish anything. In fact, you may aggravate the situation. My downstairs neighbors moved in at 1:30 a.m. on a Tuesday. They proceeded to make noise for weeks after that. One day I had enough and thumped the floor. They tried to call the landlord on me. Fortunately, the landlord knows my good track record, and there have been complaints about the people downstairs from other tenants, so we laughed it off.

But now I have no qualms about doing plyometrics and kickboxng every night in my living room, and there isn't jack they can do about it.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:16 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
I did the broomstick thing once and got pretty good resultz. I would do it only get a baseball bat and find a nice solid rafter or header across a door so you dont ruin anything and as soon as that stuff starts again bang on the rafter/header with authority. That will probably get you through that particular day but old habits die hard so keep the bat handy for the next time and see if you cant condition her to walk more lightly. And it doesnt have to be on her toes a person can walk with normal posture and lay their feet down. She sounds like one of these people who stab their heel into the ground when they walk like they are marching or something. Well that sheet is rude and i would definately fight back. If she doesnt respond to your banging I'd start waking her up in the middle of the night with the bat. And I mean find out exactly where she sleeps, crank up the Metallica put my own ear phones on and go to sleep in another room in the apt.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:38 PM

Default Didn't really think this through, did ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I did the broomstick thing once and got pretty good resultz. I would do it only get a baseball bat and find a nice solid rafter or header across a door so you dont ruin anything and as soon as that stuff starts again bang on the rafter/header with authority. That will probably get you through that particular day but old habits die hard so keep the bat handy for the next time and see if you cant condition her to walk more lightly. And it doesnt have to be on her toes a person can walk with normal posture and lay their feet down. She sounds like one of these people who stab their heel into the ground when they walk like they are marching or something. Well that sheet is rude and i would definately fight back. If she doesnt respond to your banging I'd start waking her up in the middle of the night with the bat. And I mean find out exactly where she sleeps, crank up the Metallica put my own ear phones on and go to sleep in another room in the apt.

Because someone who lives with his/her parents should "crank up the Metallica" any old time, and thus disturb not only the parents, but the people on either side of the apartment in addition to the person above, and, if applicable, the people below. Also, loud music is something the landlord can and should do something about, because that is a lot more controllable than how someone walks. Same for loud banging, as with a bat or broom. The woman upstairs will not be the only person who hears it, and both music and banging are a great way to initiate problems with the other neighbors.

Look, the sad fact is that when you live below people, you hear them walking around, and they have the upper hand as well as the upper deck. It is far easier for them to make your life a living hell than it is for you to bother them, if all they have to do is walk. When I lived in a high-rise with two-foot concrete floors between levels, I still heard the people above me. This is why I always live on the top floor of walk-ups now. The most the OP can do is continue to be polite about it, while waiting to land a job that will enable him or her to move out--keeping in mind that the parents will remain behind to deal with any unpleasant repercussions owing to their kid's behavior toward the upstairs neighbor.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Agree with others -- get ear plugs, get out of the house when you can to do your job search. If not ear plugs, then ear buds and your own tunes to drown her out (or white noise if you need to sleep). Turning on a fan sometimes helps, too.

Doing something ignorant and passive aggressive will only get you in trouble. Take the advice of others who said - don't do such things. You will end up "the problem" with your landlord.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,233 times
I have a thought that seems to have been overlooked. I have lived in an apartment like this and it turned out the woman was wearing heels at home and that is why Her walking was so damm loud. ..It seems to be quite possible the reason she sounds like she is loudly clomping, is because she could be wearing shoes with a thick or a high heel. It is unreasonable for you to have to spend hours a day in a cafe where there is wifi to do youe work, or expect you to wear earplugs. There is no reason that a person needs to wear shoes with heels while at home, although, some people do this. You should request in writing to the manager of the apartment that your neighbor refrain from wearing shoes with heels when she is on the wooden area. Most people with some common sense will understand that clomping around with heels on while walking on a hardwood floor is a disturbance to tenants underneath them.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 AM

317 posts, read 474,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
I have been living in apartment for a quite long time and unfortunately moving out is not one of my options yet. Right now I sit most of my time at home looking for a job and interviewing over phone. But the woman upstairs drive me crazy. She's almost whole day in her apartment too and when she is, she walks back and forth for extended periods above me between my room, bathroom, living room. This clomping is so loud and annoying you can hear glass lamp shaking slightly when she walks on floor above it.

Sometimes I think about getting my broom and hit my ceiling when she clomps around. Can this help me and get her attention? I have done a while ago a civilized talking to her about how disturbing her heavy steps were below me but she said she won't walk on toes. Also I noticed she has hardwood floor instead of carpet I have in my apartment.
OP: You have my sympathy. In some apartments, especially older ones, people upstairs stomping and clomping around on hardwood floors above you can really make a person miserable. It's almost like they're stomping on your head!

I agree with the other posters that suggest you talk to your management about this. Most apartment complexes have guidelines that suggest residents be at least somewhat considerate of each other, and this woman upstairs doesn't seem to have much regard for the people below. If she can't make an effort to walk softer, she should wear slippers or something. Your furniture definitely shouldn't be shaking when she walks around!

You could also buy a box fan and run it on its loudest setting. Or maybe try a noise machine. Most have several settings like "seashore" and "rain"; some also have things like "rushing water" or white noise. Either item drowns out a surprising amount of noise. I've run fans in my apartments for years. One day last summer the young couple next door got into a heated argument, and the woman trashed the apartment. I didn't even know.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I have a thought that seems to have been overlooked. I have lived in an apartment like this and it turned out the woman was wearing heels at home and that is why Her walking was so damm loud. ..It seems to be quite possible the reason she sounds like she is loudly clomping, is because she could be wearing shoes with a thick or a high heel. It is unreasonable for you to have to spend hours a day in a cafe where there is wifi to do youe work, or expect you to wear earplugs. There is no reason that a person needs to wear shoes with heels while at home, although, some people do this. You should request in writing to the manager of the apartment that your neighbor refrain from wearing shoes with heels when she is on the wooden area. Most people with some common sense will understand that clomping around with heels on while walking on a hardwood floor is a disturbance to tenants underneath them.
ARR! Chances are the wench does not wear heels all the livelong day. No sane lass who liked comfortable feet would.

The OP be a landlubber at home all day, and needs to be in the air for his/her own sanity. Else, soon any noise sounds like cannon fire--a wee overreaction, aye.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:31 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
It is difficult to modify the way a person walks - that is something that develops over a lifetime and won't change overnight.

Thank her for at least making an attempt to walk softer. Drop off a gift of soft soled slippers, with a receipt so she can exchange for her style or size. It is a peace offering and chances are she will try harder.

And, as suggested by many others, create some white noise to drown it out.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:02 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Some ideas: white noise table top fan, put the radio or TV on low, white noise machine, ear plugs or noise cancellation headphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships