Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,787,599 times

Advertisements

I spend lots of time with family, friends and neighbors in conversation. It passes the time, but is mostly unrewarding. 99% of it is small talk, chit chat, mindless chatter about the most inane topics. I try to move the conversation to something more interesting but are not successful.

To me, look at the topics on the various boards on City Data Forums. Now those are interesting topics of conversation! They allow you to think and learn and get into people's head.

I know intelligent topical conversation can't happen all the time, there is a time and place for chit chat and small talk, but how about 50/50?

Do you and your friends and family talk in chit chat or interesting topical conversation most of the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 04:39 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,989,649 times
You're right. It's almost like people are afraid to be genuine today (if they know how). They're afraid to let down their guard (for fear of consequences). People seem so self-protective these days.
Also, maybe some people don't read like they used to. They also don't bother thinking or reading between the lines of what's reported in the media. Some don't do research. Some don't question research if they do it. Therefore, so much for stimulating conversations.
Some people lack patience for conversation. I don't know what they want, what turns them on (other than sex, substance abuse, superficial things).

I'm speaking in general, from my observations.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,020,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I spend lots of time with family, friends and neighbors in conversation. It passes the time, but is mostly unrewarding. 99% of it is small talk, chit chat, mindless chatter about the most inane topics. I try to move the conversation to something more interesting but are not successful.

To me, look at the topics on the various boards on City Data Forums. Now those are interesting topics of conversation! They allow you to think and learn and get into people's head.

I know intelligent topical conversation can't happen all the time, there is a time and place for chit chat and small talk, but how about 50/50?

Do you and your friends and family talk in chit chat or interesting topical conversation most of the time?

Perhaps your idea of interesting is not theirs. A lot of people just want to chat without the requirement to "learn something or think". Some people just don't want you in their head either.

If it is that annoying and boring to you perhaps you should find more interesting and engaging friends and family.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:50 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,236,632 times
I have 5 friends that are my "go to" friends.

We talk about our growth...what we realized today, what was hard for us,how we overcame, some big emotional or spiritual breakthough or astonishing realization.
...how our pets and stuff are today if there was an issue.
Sometimes we talk about little funny life stories...but it's usually not chit chat...we care
about each other's day deeply.
A lot of flood stories (in CO), my dearest friend had a cabin rental robbed today
Fully furnished, VRBO...vacation rental.
But all of us talk mostly about..."How did you feel or handle that?"

My chit chat friends I see once a month maybe...and it can be fun.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 PM

350 posts, read 707,639 times
Quote:
99% of it is small talk, chit chat, mindless chatter about the most inane topics.
the topics on the various boards on City Data Forums. Now those are interesting topics of conversation! They allow you to think and learn and get into people's head.
Completely agree. That's why I'd rather be on CD than talking about BS with the neighbors. There's low risk on CD. If I said what I really think to my neighbors, I'd stand out and they might hate me. Or they might like me. But, I'm not taking chances.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
We chitchat bc it is a way of becoming and staying intimate...sharing the small details of the day, the adventures, the successes, the small annoyances, etc.

From many of those conversations spring intellectual, political, philosophical debates...and many are just the warm, cozy fluff of inane details.

*shrug*

Not every talk has to be deep and mind-bending.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,043,690 times
Go to a bar if you want deep meaningful conversations.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,126,637 times
Yes, family members usually talk about daily things. I usually have nothing to say in regards to those topics. So when I speak, I usually start to say things from what I was learning and thinking. Almost compulsively I think.

My impression (although I can't tell for sure) is that it's boring for them and they see me as someone "different".

Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,518,606 times
I find boring chit chat is best if you're stuck in a conversation for two reasons:

1. It won't turn into a pissing contest.

2. It remains civil, no one goes home mad.

Deep thought-provoking conversations are overrated, they only work when the person you are having them with agrees with 80% of your view points. 90% of the time it leads to a political argument, which no one can win.

I made these figures up, this is my opinion, and my experience.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,481,952 times
Quote:
Did you ever stop to think that your idea of interesting topical conversation is chit chat to others?

No? I thought not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships