Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:42 PM

100 posts, read 70,147 times

Advertisements

So I am walking down the street, it's rush hour (around 5 pm) and this woman is holding a baby with her 9-year-old daughter next to her. The mother crosses when the light is red () and is standing in the middle of the street with cars whizzing past her in both directions! Her (sane) daughter stayed at the curb and waited for the light to change green.

I arrived at the curb when the light turned green and made sure to praise the daughter for being smart and not going when the light was red. Then I came up to the mother and told her that she should be careful with the baby. I realized she didn't speak English (was Hispanic) and so I figured her daughter would fill her in.

I didn't want to be rude or negative to her but it was freaking me out to see her putting that baby in danger standing in traffic! By the way, there was NOT a median strip! She was on the actual street!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 01:59 AM

956 posts, read 1,764,318 times
We can't change stupid, esp, when it's accompanied by stubborness! I believe the word for dangerous's ''pelligroso''?

Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,288,098 times
Kriya Yogi, I believe this is the first time I have seen you here.
I would like to ask you some questions about your path.
I don't know how to do it...in direct messages?
Or can I address a Kriya Yoga question to you in Religion and Spirituallity?

To be on topic and not get deleted....I think 'you did good', praising the daughter.
the woman made a mistake and probably won't do it again!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Kriya Yogi, I believe this is the first time I have seen you here.
I would like to ask you some questions about your path.
I don't know how to do it...in direct messages?
Or can I address a Kriya Yoga question to you in Religion and Spirituallity?

To be on topic and not get deleted....I think 'you did good', praising the daughter.
the woman made a mistake and probably won't do it again!
LOL--you're a veteran on here so you would know better than I! I think you can click on the upper right corner to write me a direct message. Love to hear from you...

Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
We can't change stupid, esp, when it's accompanied by stubborness! I believe the word for dangerous's ''pelligroso''?
LOL! I am Hispanic--should have known that one.

I am not fluent in Spanish but it just boggles my mind that someone could put their own child in danger because of impatience.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 AM

350 posts, read 708,472 times
That lady belongs in the same category of people who

walk or jog in the street WITH traffic (not against) so they can't see traffic approaching from behind.
when there is a perfectly good sidewalk available
listing to an mp3 player (unable to hear drivers approaching from behind)
into the sun (blinding the drivers approaching from behind)
and in some cases, pushing a stroller.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:57 AM

Default LOL--I was planning on that for a separate thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
That lady belongs in the same category of people who

walk or jog in the street WITH traffic (not against) so they can't see traffic approaching from behind.
when there is a perfectly good sidewalk available
listing to an mp3 player (unable to hear drivers approaching from behind)
into the sun (blinding the drivers approaching from behind)
and in some cases, pushing a stroller.
Because I live in with the Mad Joggers. The other day I woke up at 5 am and heard some shouting and looked out the window. It was two Type-A joggers (one was a personal trainer) running down the street before sunrise!

But I am a cyclist. It is my primary mode of transportation and not just some whim or exercise routine. And I prefer that joggers jog with the traffic! Because when they don't, they're in my lane. And as childish as it may sound, I make them go out into the street because they expect ME to go into the street when my back is to the traffic? I don't think so. So I hug the curb when they approach me.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 AM

6,455 posts, read 7,761,660 times
You cared about the baby being in harms way, OK...but what about the mother? She counts too right? I understand a baby can't make it's own decisions about such things but still, people focus too much on a baby's life and not enough on others so just pointing it out.

Maybe it sounds harsh but it's her baby, her decision. If she's OK putting herself and her kid in that position (harmed or not) it's fine with me. No, the baby can't think for itself yet and must go along with decisions that put it harms way but them's the cards its been dealt. I wouldn't have said anything, let darwinism work it out. If I was in a car and wanted to be helpful, I may have tried to help by swerving towards her and scaring the mollasses out of her so she'd think twice next time. But that's only if the mood struck me to help the mentally challenged, which it probably would not.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:19 AM

20,705 posts, read 19,880,600 times
I often cross when the light is red but I never do it when there is little children around me.

I have seen mothers cross when it is red but only when I was driving myself. I always think of the role model thing and I think you did the right thing!!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Default Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
You cared about the baby being in harms way, OK...but what about the mother? She counts too right? I understand a baby can't make it's own decisions about such things but still, people focus too much on a baby's life and not enough on others so just pointing it out.

Maybe it sounds harsh but it's her baby, her decision. If she's OK putting herself and her kid in that position (harmed or not) it's fine with me. No, the baby can't think for itself yet and must go along with decisions that put it harms way but them's the cards its been dealt. I wouldn't have said anything, let darwinism work it out. If I was in a car and wanted to be helpful, I may have tried to help by swerving towards her and scaring the mollasses out of her so she'd think twice next time. But that's only if the mood struck me to help the mentally challenged, which it probably would not.
"Scaring the molasses out of me?" Sounds straight out of Mark Twain. I love it.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Don't you get that children are not parents' property?! Yes, they are helpless and of course I will be more concerned with a helpless baby than a grownass (but stoopid as hell) adult. I will protect a baby's wellbeing over protecting an adult's ego!

Your comment concerns me. If you have minor children, NEVER put your ego ahead of their safety. So if they "insult" or "disrespect" you, realize that they have egos like we all do and don't punish them physically for back talk and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships