Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 07:38 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

I think a few of you guys may have a wee touch of Nice Guy Syndrome. "I'm just being nice, you dumb *****!"
This ^^^^ Exactly.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Jeepers...who said you had to do what they said? It's a suggestion, not being 'told what to do.' What are you, a child, that you have to do everything someone tells you to?

If you don't wanna do it ignore them. Just quit moaning about it and getting your panties in a bunch.

Do these men get all steamed up because you don't smile? Is this feminist paranoia gone crazy? God help us.
Yes they do. It has happened to me plenty of times. There have been other times where when I was smiling a man decided that it was something exclusively for him so he was at liberty to follow me and Acosta me since there was no other reason for me to smile besides wanting him.

It is really simple, if I don't know you don't make any demands on my demeanor or appearance or expression.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i was buying lunch today at a store, and the cashier said playfully, "are you buying me lunch"?
and she smiled...

well, how dare she demand that?? a total stranger asking me to buy her lunch?? what is this world coming to??
Her comment would translate roughly to, "Is that smile for me?" which would be a flirtatious thing to say to a woman who is already smiling in your vicinity.

The pseudo-command "Smile," or "Smile, it's not so bad" said to a woman who is minding her own business would would translate to "Buy me lunch," said to a stranger in line with you at a counter. Intrusive, inappropriate.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Exactly. Who goes around commanding people to smile. Any of these men come up to you and barked 'hey you, smile!' It may be annoying, but it hardly makes them a bad person. They just wanna see you happy, for your sake, and everyone else's sake.
First, who cares what they want???????

Second, if she were already happy, she'd be smiling. Telling someone to smile does not make them happy.

If you see a woman who looks down in the dumps and you want see her smile, try smiling at her and saying something pleasant, like "Good morning." Don't ask her to smile to make yourself feel better.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
If they smile, they might just get something to smile about.

Being po-faced doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,682 times
Quote:
Exactly. Who goes around commanding people to smile. Any of these men come up to you and barked 'hey you, smile!' It may be annoying, but it hardly makes them a bad person. They just wanna see you happy, for your sake, and everyone else's sake.

this is BS it has nothing to do with wanting to see them "happy".

Its something magazines and websites like askmen have drilled into their head as a way to get the "foot in the door". They tout that "playful banter" like telling a women to smile is a window into talking to them and getting laid. The guy doesnt give a **** if you smile or not as long as you start talking to HIM and eventually give up the juicy fruit.

/thread

Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
If that were true then you would say it to every single person you saw that was not smiling, regardless of if they were male or female.

Do you say "Smile!" to random dudes on the street? No? Then that is the point.
I really wish you could understand this.

It is impossible though. Men think we are trying to be nice while women think we are "getting off" on the inside.

If this is the worst thing you have to deal with you have a good life.

I try to stay positive in my life and smile quite a bit actually. To some though I guess I must be acting or being fake. Life has a million possibilities for each and everyone.....that's what make me happy.

Men will never understand women and women will never understand men. Thread closed.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
this is BS it has nothing to do with wanting to see them "happy".

Its something magazines and websites like askmen have drilled into their head as a way to get the "foot in the door". They tout that "playful banter" like telling a women to smile is a window into talking to them and getting laid. The guy doesnt give a **** if you smile or not as long as you start talking to HIM and eventually give up the juicy fruit.
Not everyone is out to get laid.

Can someone just be nice to people?

If you truly think all men are like this I feel for you.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Not every man is out to get laid.

lol not sure if SRS

Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Not everyone is out to get laid. Can someone just be nice to people?
Well not directly sometimes. And wanting to get laid is not bad or the opposite of "just being nice". I have genuinely managed to accomplish both throughout my lifetime. And many women even like to get laid, and also can be nice about it. I have witnessed that too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships