U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM

977 posts, read 1,553,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I don't ever hear that, because I am already always smiling.

What's the point of walking around with a frown or tight lips all the time?
Maybe they are saying you would be more attractive if you didn't look like you just ate a lemon.
I find this pretty much impossible. Nobody can be walking around with a permagrin on their face. Like I said before, who the hell walks around smiling all the time like an idiot? I never see that. Just b/c someone isn't smiling doesn't mean they are frowny or scowling. Everyone I see in public (who's alone) just has a neutral expression.

This seems to be a women's issue, but leaving aside that, I see it as a simple rudeness and mind your own business issue. Any stranger who tells me to smile is going to get an eff U from me.

It' also dehumanizing in the same way that employers expect their public facing workers to be smiling and cheerful whilst toiling away at $9/hour and standing on their feet all day. Are not humans allowed to have the full range of emotions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,684,567 times
No, I don't smile like a Dresden, I smile whenever I go eye-to-eye with someone, whether I'm at the store or when I pass them in the street. It's called being friendly.

You're right, I am wasting my breath.

Ta-ta! LOL

Old 09-23-2013, 08:58 AM

977 posts, read 1,553,769 times
Where I live (major urban area), you'd look like a fool smiling at everyone you passed by. Besides, that would almost be impossible seeing as I walk past hundreds if not thousands of people on my daily commute. Not to mention, I get accosted on a near daily basis by homeless and "save the whale" types so if not acknowledging strangers' existence makes me an unfriendly jerk, so be it.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 AM

2,135 posts, read 3,678,892 times
Quote:
No, I don't smile like a Dresden, I smile whenever I go eye-to-eye with someone, whether I'm at the store or when I pass them in the street. It's called being friendly.

You're right, I am wasting my breath.

Ta-ta! LOL
I smile alot too. Forget these unsmiling people. Live your life.....no point in joining the drones.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-23-2013, 09:28 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,843,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Where I live (major urban area), you'd look like a fool smiling at everyone you passed by. Besides, that would almost be impossible seeing as I walk past hundreds if not thousands of people on my daily commute. Not to mention, I get accosted on a near daily basis by homeless and "save the whale" types so if not acknowledging strangers' existence makes me an unfriendly jerk, so be it.
Only a fool or criminal would see a friendly expression as a bad thing. And I dont think the push is for anyone to walk around with a silly grin no matter what the situation. But smiling as you pass someone attractive or even a cute pet or baby is friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
I smile alot too. Forget these unsmiling people. Live your life.....no point in joining the drones.
Same here. And no sane person would telling anyone not to smile. We already have more than enough cold hate being promoted in this world.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 AM

9,068 posts, read 8,338,149 times
Quote:
Nope, I say show me your d!!cks.

Get a grip. It's a fncking smile, for God's sake, they aren't asking you to pole-dance.

And I see some of you on the Relationships forum whining about how you can't get or keep a man. No surprise there.
The point is, a man doesn't need to command anything of a woman, let alone a stranger.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 AM

35,109 posts, read 40,202,457 times
I think it is all in the presentation.

If someone would say: "I bet you have a great smile" the attitude of the one being told would possibly be different.

In my opinion there is no real need to be rude or snitty with a return comment. No words spoken generally speaks volumes.

You may think someone telling you to "smile more often" is rude or inconsiderate however, your snitty (in your opinion witty) response has done nothing but ensure that you have made yourself look like a fool.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:00 AM

12,540 posts, read 12,518,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Many of us are actually OK guys who find you attractive or interesting or whatever, and thought it may be nice to talk to you.
Criticizing our facial expressions is not the way to do it. Telling someone to "SMILE!" implies that you think she looks unhappy somehow. Well guess what? If she looks unhappy, she probably IS unhappy. And no, some random guy telling her how to arrange her own face is not going to be welcome when she has things on her mind. I don't know ANY woman who likes that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think it is all in the presentation.

If someone would say: "I bet you have a great smile" the attitude of the one being told would possibly be different.

In my opinion there is no real need to be rude or snitty with a return comment. No words spoken generally speaks volumes.

You may think someone telling you to "smile more often" is rude or inconsiderate however, your snitty (in your opinion witty) response has done nothing but ensure that you have made yourself look like a fool.
Yeah, right. That's why women around me give me the thumbs up and clap when I tell a creeper what's what. Careful. It's a long way down from the saddle on a high horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This is an automatic response to BRF Syndrome (Bitchy Resting Face).

'Bitchy resting face' is real (kind of). But there's hope - TODAY.com

Short of plastic surgery, the only way to ameliorate BRF is to smile. People are just trying to be helpful.
Why I Love My Bitchy Resting Face

Also:

WANT!

We Need This 'Don't Tell Me to Smile' Sweatshirt

Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 AM

451 posts, read 627,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Maybe this has been said already (too lazy to read the entire post) and if so it bears repeating. A woman's smile is on the top 10 list of "Most Beautiful Things". I would just take it as another compliment and move on.
Telling someone they have a beautiful smile is a compliment. Telling someone who isn't smiling to smile is a criticism. And, as others have said before, even if the command to smile does induce one, it's not at all likely to be a genuine smile, so it seems quite pointless to me.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 AM

35,109 posts, read 40,202,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Criticizing our facial expressions is not the way to do it. Telling someone to "SMILE!" implies that you think she looks unhappy somehow. Well guess what? If she looks unhappy, she probably IS unhappy. And no, some random guy telling her how to arrange her own face is not going to be welcome when she has things on her mind. I don't know ANY woman who likes that.

Yeah, right. That's why women around me give me the thumbs up and clap when I tell a creeper what's what. Careful. It's a long way down from the saddle on a high horse.

What creeper?

Why I Love My Bitchy Resting Face

Also:

WANT!

We Need This 'Don't Tell Me to Smile' Sweatshirt
I can't imagine what you or any of these other women would have done had you been told like I was in the middle of a mall parking lot by a guy I had never seen before "Nice Boobs".
I thanked him and walked into the mall, there was no reason to make it anything more than what it was.
There does not have to be drama attached to every word spoken by another human, it is best at times to continue walking without saying a word.
One of these days understanding and comprehending the old phrase: "Silence is Golden" may work its way into your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships