U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 AM

9,079 posts, read 8,359,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I can't imagine what you or any of these other women would have done had you been told like I was in the middle of a mall parking lot by a guy I had never seen before "Nice Boobs".
I thanked him and walked into the mall, there was no reason to make it anything more than what it was.
There does not have to be drama attached to every word spoken by another human, it is best at times to continue walking without saying a word.
One of these days understanding and comprehending the old phrase: "Silence is Golden" may work its way into your life.
He didn't order you to show them to him, did he? Like Lilac said above, it's not a compliment to tell someone what do do with their face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 AM

559 posts, read 1,205,611 times
Also check out:
New PSA: “Make a Woman Smile”- Stop Street Harassment

USA: Don’t Tell Me to Smile- Stop Street Harassment

London Art Student’s Work, “Give Us a Smile Love”- Stop Street Harassment

Old 09-23-2013, 11:57 AM

16 posts, read 45,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have a friend who usually says, "My mother just died, but thanks for your input." Which usually shocks them into silence.

A woman out and about minding her own business isn't there to decorate the world for some random dude.
I find it annoying. Especially if I'm not in a great mood.
I do the same, I say ' I was at a funeral today' and the look on their face...

Old 09-23-2013, 12:09 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,081,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Just bust out with the creepiest, most Jack Nicholson-esque smile with Steve Buscemi crazy eyes you can muster. They probably won't ask again lol.
I second this!

Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM

52,055 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have a friend who usually says, "My mother just died, but thanks for your input." Which usually shocks them into silence.

A woman out and about minding her own business isn't there to decorate the world for some random dude.
I had a woman all like "cheer up, don't be so grumpy, smile" blah blah blah to me at San Fran airport about 6 years ago.

She wasn't giving up either when I was clearly trying to ignore her and be left alone.

Oh let's see...my wife sitting over there with the head-kerchief and no hair that is having trouble walking due to bone cancer induced hip replacements has terminal cancer and your airport layout sucks and we've had to walk about 600 yards to get to a shuttle bus.

So, there you go....there are all kinds of people that do this.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM

221 posts, read 317,460 times
Default Don't smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
That's completely unrealistic.

You can't smile all the time! What if there's nothing to smile about?

"You should smile more!"

Where do they get off with that?

They just want you to come off as simple minded and easy. That way they can move in and get what they want from you.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,569,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Wow. Just read all the responses.

If someone were to tell me to smile, I wouldn't be irritated. I would be flattered, because that means they found my face attractive enough to make a comment. What is so dang wrong with that?

I don't know where you come off with assuming it's all about a man wanting what he wants. What EVER! From one woman to another. Ya'll need to get your heads out. You sound like a bunch of dried-up man-hating prunes.

Good luck with your attitudes "ladies" (not).
The purpose of this thread is NOT to tell people who are happy and smile naturally to stop doing that. It's not to criticize you if you happen to like and allow strangers to comment on your presence in public places. What would be our motivation in that? Our purpose in this discussion is to tell people that many of us do not appreciate people who can't seem to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS. No commenting on someone else's body parts, including expressions.

Your comments are usually quite intelligent and perceptive. But you're missing the boat here. This discussion isn't about your lovely smile or spreading happiness throughout the land. The problem being discussed here IS a problem — to people who feel besieged by other humans telling them what position or condition any of their body parts should be in.

You are probably a good-looking person. Perhaps you are used to positive attention and you've grown to accept it and obviously you have no problem with it. But many people do not have your life experience and do NOT appreciate it. We're not going to be talked into thinking someone intruding our our personal space is OK based on your perceptions.

I read your comments on many C-D threads and I know you are sensitive enough to understand why it's not appropriate to walk up to a stranger and say:
"You should lose weight."
"If you stood up straight you'd look like a model."
"There are dentists who could fix your teeth."
"If you got breast implants you'd be really hot."

There's not much difference between that and the order to smile. My facial expression is my own. It's related to my emotions. No one has the right to tell me what to do with it. If you disagree, grin away. Rest assured I won't make any remarks — because that would be INAPPROPRIATE.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:46 PM

7,687 posts, read 8,154,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Again, people who think it is acceptable to demand women smile for them because it is "beautiful" are people most women would think are those who just value women for beauty.

Seriously, many of us who are attractive want to be valued for more than our outsides (smiles included). Being tall, blond, and attractive is just a genetic role of the dice. I am far more interested in people valuing the things I have actually earned. My daughter who is down right beautiful, is even less interested in hearing it than anyone I have ever met. For her, going up to her and telling her she is beautiful is like telling her she is wearing a blue t-shirt. She is much more interested in someone trying to talk to her about something besides her face or her smile.

Besides men whose first comment or demand is about looks, tend to be those who are only interested in looks. Which for many of us, is an immediate turn off.
Obviously we are learning something. I dont think anyone has ever considered it a "demand" and felt (at least in my case) it was an innocent compliment. Having said that I dont think I would ever see some random stranger and say "smile purdy lady!". It is more something you say to someone you know.

We learn something new every day.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:46 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,306,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
He didn't order you to show them to him, did he? Like Lilac said above, it's not a compliment to tell someone what do do with their face.

I don't see where the "order" part comes in honestly.

So all of this would be less dramatic if he had said specifically: "You should smile more"?
That is beyond silly, this has gone far past what it should have been and even this post is a pure waste of time...

Old 09-23-2013, 04:50 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,426,465 times
How dare someone say, "Smile; it's not that hard." If this world wasn't so crazy, I'd tell that man, "Get outta my face; it's not that hard." Some people have nerve. A person's facial expression is NOT a stranger's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships