U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 10:49 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,832,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The point is, a man doesn't need to command anything of a woman, let alone a stranger.
Same point is true of women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 PM

134 posts, read 373,459 times
I think its because when a girl looks sad, she doesn't look confident. We guys like to see confident/happy looking women.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:21 PM

582 posts, read 932,302 times
So if a nonthreatening, good-looking, wholesome, fine-as-wine guy (who just happens to look like Blake Shelton) smiled at you and said, "Smile, it ain't that bad," would it still be an offensive command or would it be a flirtatious gesture? And would you have smiled back at him even momentarily or would you have continued frowning/deep thinking/whatever, wishing that he would mind his own business instead of commanding you to smile?

Would you have told your girlfriends that some good-looking guy (who looked like Blake Shelton, no less) had the audacity to command you to smile, or would you have told your girlfriends that you think some good-looking guy (who looked like Blake Shelton!!!) may have been flirting with you, but you're not really sure?

I'm gonna include one of Blake Shelton's videos to lighten the mood in this thread because it's desperately needed, in my humble opinion, plus Blake Shelton's veeeeeeeery easy on the eyes and he seems to make people (especially women) smile. Enjoy .

Blake Shelton - Boys 'Round Here feat. Pistol Annies & Friends (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM

2,584 posts, read 2,282,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
That's completely unrealistic.

You can't smile all the time! What if there's nothing to smile about?

"You should smile more!"

Where do they get off with that?
What's with women always wanting ME to smile?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM

451 posts, read 624,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
So if a nonthreatening, good-looking, wholesome, fine-as-wine guy (who just happens to look like Blake Shelton) smiled at you and said, "Smile, it ain't that bad," would it still be an offensive command or would it be a flirtatious gesture?
Offensive behavior is still offensive, no matter how the perpetrator looks.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:42 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,091,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Yes, those are two very different situations. If I am smiling and someone tells me I have a nice smile, that is a compliment, and my response would be thank you. Some strange man telling me to smile is not a compliment. He's telling me I should change my expression, as my current one is not acceptable to him, and that's never appropriate from a stranger.

If there are men who think this is a great pick up line, think again. A simple "hello," or smiling yourself is a much better way to express interest in talking with someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
not so long ago, i had a woman tell me i have a boyish smile,,, and should smile more
that made my day!! how does anyone get offended by someone asking them to smile??
or is the "telling" getting interpreted as a demand?? when it is more of a request...

if women told guys,,they should smile more - would we get offended?? ummm no!

this thread is comical..
say we were going in a place and i held the door for you, you smiled and said thank you,,,,and i say "nice smile"
would that be offensive?

You didn't take the time to read my actual post before responding, as you can see by the bolded I had already answered the question you posed in your reply. Someone complimenting on my smile would receive a thank you. That is very different from being told to smile by some stranger. You missed the entire point of my post which was to point out the difference between a compliment and an intrusive demand from a stranger as a woman is simply going about her life's business.

If some men like being told to smile, then fine, good for them. A number of men have started they don't like it when women say it to them. My response is to respect this, and telling a strange man to smile is not something I would ever do. Apparently too many men can't respect a woman's request as I would respect their request, and that is upsetting.

The point is the vast majority of women have clearly stated a dislike for being told to smile by strangers, and a few men have agreed it's inappropriate. The rest have responded by arguing and telling women they are being ridiculous, and should actually start liking this behavior. That type of arguing just compounds the rudeness. Why can't some men graciously honor, and respect a simple request from women to stop a certain behavior?

Last edited by detshen; 09-25-2013 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 02:58 PM

16,567 posts, read 14,005,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
I think its because when a girl looks sad, she doesn't look confident. We guys like to see confident/happy looking women.
Maybe her grandmother just died for all you know.

Why does what you want out rate her emotions?

Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 PM

16,567 posts, read 14,005,185 times
Quote:
So if a nonthreatening, good-looking, wholesome, fine-as-wine guy (who just happens to look like Blake Shelton) smiled at you and said, "Smile, it ain't that bad," would it still be an offensive command or would it be a flirtatious gesture? And would you have smiled back at him even momentarily or would you have continued frowning/deep thinking/whatever, wishing that he would mind his own business instead of commanding you to smile?

Would you have told your girlfriends that some good-looking guy (who looked like Blake Shelton, no less) had the audacity to command you to smile, or would you have told your girlfriends that you think some good-looking guy (who looked like Blake Shelton!!!) may have been flirting with you, but you're not really sure?

I'm gonna include one of Blake Shelton's videos to lighten the mood in this thread because it's desperately needed, in my humble opinion, plus Blake Shelton's veeeeeeeery easy on the eyes and he seems to make people (especially women)
I wouldn't care if it was actually a good looking guy vs a trolling one. I don't like strangers telling me what to do and will respond in kind by telling them what to do.

One assumes that a SMART good looking guy would know how to flirt without being an insensitive caveman.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:02 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,495,349 times
Quote:
I'm gonna include one of Blake Shelton's videos to lighten the mood in this thread because it's desperately needed, in my humble opinion, plus Blake Shelton's veeeeeeeery easy on the eyes and he seems to make people (especially women) smile. Enjoy .
I can't imagine a quicker way to make my mood worse than adding country music. Darlin, you can HAVE Blake Shelton.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:07 PM

20,296 posts, read 16,464,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes, of course I am sensitive enough to realize that comments made from strangers are normally unwelcome.

And if you've read my comments you may have noticed I always go off on those that criticize the overweight because I myself am overweight. Always have been, although I have a "great personality and am very approachable", even fatties like to be told something positive.

Maybe that's why I took issue with this, because it seems like a positive compliment to me. I guess because every morning I have to show my ID at the gate and in one of the entry points, the same gentleman always comments about my smile.

Sorry if I rubbed some of you the wrong way. After all, we are strangers, and that would also be inappropriate. LOL

Peace out
How is it a compliment? people keep saying that but I don't get it. I have had this happen to and it is highly annoying. I'll be just standing waiting for a bus and thinking about something, maybe planning my day in my head, and a guy will say something like "Oh, it can't be that bad, smile!" and it is very aggravating because I feel like I have to defend that I'm not upset about anything. It's like there's this rule that women always have to be smiling and if they're not they're upset about something. I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with them thinking we're pretty or anything like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships