U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:07 PM

769 posts, read 828,209 times

Advertisements

When someone tells me to smile..I give them my best imatation of a horse smile. They laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:07 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,644,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugLyfe View Post
Jeez, it's not like they are there telling you to get in the kitchen and make em a sammich. They aren't telling you to go home and clean the house. It's not like they are saying women are the inferior gender, both physically and mentally. They aren't pointing out statistics that say men overall have higher IQs. It's just a dude with a really really bad opening gambit. Smile and move on. That's an order!
Nevaaaaa!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:37 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,092,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Ahh... But if you would have calmly read my reply rather than rushing to refute it, you would have understood that my mentioning "the creepy crawlers leering and slobbering on the streets" could have very much to do also with "random men TELLING women" or anyone else to smile or otherwise. But then again, that also is not illegal and certainly not the cardinal sin you seem to perceive it as, while this country is just as free for men as it is for women, who certainly exercise the freedom to ignore whatever they choose, as is the favored practice here in my town.
I don't see how creepy crawlers have anything to do with the men who think it's appropriate to tell women they don't know, and just happen to see shopping or whatever to smile. I did calmly read your post where you were talking about a woman's happiness, smiles and personality. Her happiness and personality have absolutely nothing to do with being told to smile by some strange man. I stand by my reply. No one has any business telling a stranger to smile. No one said it was a sin, or should be illegal. Women have very clearly said that it's annoying, rude and should be stopped. Most women hate having some random stranger tell them to smile, so don't do it, very simple, that should be the end of the discussion.

What do some men insist on endlessly arguing a simple request from women and telling them they are wrong, that they should actually enjoy these comments or they must be an unhappy bytch? Whether a woman walks around smiling or not has nothing to do with her overall happiness level, or her personality. We are talking about strangers telling other strangers how to behave, that's inappropriate, period!

I would ask the men who insist on arguing to stop and listen to what the women here are saying instead of arguing that there must be something wrong with them if they do not like a certain behavior. Why can't some men accept that women dislike being told what to do by random strangers, and agree to stop doing it instead of arguing and trying to denigrate a woman for clearly stating her dislikes?

Last edited by detshen; 09-20-2013 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 07:12 PM

805 posts, read 1,311,403 times
Believe it or not, sometimes men just say things without an agenda. They just say them.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:14 PM

805 posts, read 1,311,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsechick71 View Post
When someone tells me to smile..I give them my best imatation of a horse smile. They laugh.
I usually say "show me something that will make me smile". Then of course they are thinking "wait, does this nutter want to see my dick"? Then I say "no not laugh, smile". Then we both run lmbo.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:33 PM

451 posts, read 624,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I would ask the men who insist on arguing to stop and listen to what the women here are saying instead of arguing that there must be something wrong with them if they do not like a certain behavior. Why can't some men accept that women dislike being told what to do by random strangers, and agree to stop doing it instead of arguing and trying to denigrate a woman for clearly stating her dislikes?
Trying to get this to happen is like trying to stuff an angry cat into a beer bottle using only one hand while blindfolded.

Excellent post, btw!

Old 09-20-2013, 07:48 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,434,240 times
I never tell anyone to smile more, or suggest it, but I admit I'd rather see a happy face than a sad one.

Maybe just saying "hello" is a better approach to take. I get a lot of smiles that way.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:07 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,497,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Would you rather someone say to you "You really should sulk and frown more you ugly hag."
I would like people to mind their own business.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,497,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugLyfe View Post
Jeez, it's not like they are there telling you to get in the kitchen and make em a sammich ...
No, but it's one step away. And it's just as uncalled for.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,092,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I never tell anyone to smile more, or suggest it, but I admit I'd rather see a happy face than a sad one.

Maybe just saying "hello" is a better approach to take. I get a lot of smiles that way.

Whatever the interest might be, whether it's concern over someone appearing upset, or interest in meeting an attractive person, hello is a much better approach than demanding a smile. A simple hello is also much more likely to elicit a genuine smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships