U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:09 PM

12,286 posts, read 12,525,000 times

Advertisements

As the video points out, sometimes the problem is not BRF. It may be the woman is really a *****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 01:32 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,564,810 times
This thread is turning out to be a great way to identify misogynists among us.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,450,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This is an automatic response to BRF Syndrome (Bitchy Resting Face).

'Bitchy resting face' is real (kind of). But there's hope - TODAY.com

Short of plastic surgery, the only way to ameliorate BRF is to smile. People are just trying to be helpful.
How is that any of your business? No one asked for your advice.

Women do not exist for your viewing pleasure. Telling random women to smile, because you think it looks better, is rude.

"You should lose some weight"
"You should get braces"
"You should shampoo your hair"

Would you ever say any of that to a stranger? No? Then don't go around demanding women smile for you.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:49 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,656,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This is an automatic response to BRF Syndrome (Bitchy Resting Face).

'Bitchy resting face' is real (kind of). But there's hope - TODAY.com

Short of plastic surgery, the only way to ameliorate BRF is to smile. People are just trying to be helpful.
That's hilarious and I agree that this is a thing. Still goes back to the point of it not being someone else's business to instruct you to smile to "fix your face". I actually call what the girl has in the thumbnail for that vid "dead face". I also see snarly face, smelly face, and squint face often. Won't bother explaining what those are to me. I just accept that people have these faces instead of commenting.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:58 PM

4,157 posts, read 4,737,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
That's completely unrealistic.

You can't smile all the time! What if there's nothing to smile about?

"You should smile more!"

Where do they get off with that?
So, handle it if it bothers you so much to get a compliment. Use it to your advantage.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:51 PM

550 posts, read 834,522 times
I was at a concert one time and this older guy came up to me and said " smile its not that hard". I mean I was enjoying the concert and having as good time, so I thought he was rude.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:06 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,115,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
I was at a concert one time and this older guy came up to me and said " smile its not that hard". I mean I was enjoying the concert and having as good time, so I thought he was rude.
He was rude. No one has any business telling strangers how to act, I don't know why some men think it's appropriate to demand that a women smile.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:15 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,263,362 times
Wow, so sensitive...no wonder you probably don't smile a lot. I think people in general, men and women, need to smile more, but maybe it shows they're pretty unhappy in general. Or rather, just chill out and don't take things so damn seriously.

Geez, everyone here defending their right to frown and look like grumpy cat as if someone is forcing them to smile...

Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,425,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Just bust out with the creepiest, most Jack Nicholson-esque smile with Steve Buscemi crazy eyes you can muster. They probably won't ask again lol.
Bawahahahaha!

That'll do it.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 PM

550 posts, read 834,522 times
I don't know why some are saying its a compliment. It's definitely a criticism. It means they think you are stuck up basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships