Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:26 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
That's completely unrealistic.

You can't smile all the time! What if there's nothing to smile about?
If you're with me, there's always something to smile about.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,712 times
I never think the guy is trying to tell me to do anything; I've always just assumed they were flirting. That's what people do when they see someone they find attractive. If a guy passes me and says, "Beautiful day, isn't it?" I don't think he's really commenting on the weather/day. As a woman, I think he's innocently flirting with me. It's just innocent flirting, nothing more, nothing less .

When it comes to the "smile" comment or the "beautiful day" comment, I think it's half and half; half are just innocently flirting because they find you attractive, and the other half are flirting and hoping to get your phone number because they also find you attractive.

What's wrong with a guy (attractive or unattractive) telling you that you are attractive? Fellas, I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It sucks to be youuuuuuuuu, it sucks to be youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uu uu uuu uuuuuuuuuuu... .

Old 09-20-2013, 03:58 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I have the same opinion.

But of course you can overanalize every little comment and find something bad and manipulate in every innocent phrase.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:14 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
I never think the guy is trying to tell me to do anything; I've always just assumed they were flirting. That's what people do when they see someone they find attractive. If a guy passes me and says, "Beautiful day, isn't it?" I don't think he's really commenting on the weather/day. As a woman, I think he's innocently flirting with me. It's just innocent flirting, nothing more, nothing less .

When it comes to the "smile" comment or the "beautiful day" comment, I think it's half and half; half are just innocently flirting because they find you attractive, and the other half are flirting and hoping to get your phone number because they also find you attractive.

What's wrong with a guy (attractive or unattractive) telling you that you are attractive? Fellas, I guess you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It sucks to be youuuuuuuuu, it sucks to be youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uu uu uuu uuuuuuuuuuu... .
I totally agree. I am aghast at some of these comments. I wonder if it's the tone of the person speaking? I have never had it said to me as if it were an order.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
I've also been told I smiled and laughed too much.

Yep, apparently it's just as worrisome if you go the other way. Females are supposed to be mild mannered, seen and not heard. Speak in gentle tones if you have to speak at all, etc.

I get around with a face like a slapped arse when I'm on a mission these days and I still get it occasionally "its not that bad, love".

Dude, if I'm enjoying myself or happy to see you, I'm already smiling. I don't need advice from you on how to wear my own face.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:53 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
That's completely unrealistic.

You can't smile all the time! What if there's nothing to smile about?

"You should smile more!"

Where do they get off with that?
I used get that constantly. At work, in the grocery store, on the street. Complete strangers. It drove me nuts - I still think it's really sexist and demeaning somehow. But I haven't heard it in years now. It must have been something to do with being young and pretty, cause now that I'm old and fugly no-one cares if I smile or not.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:09 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
That has nothing to do with random men TELLING women to smile. If a woman smiles at you, feel free to compliment her, and smile back. Women do not appreciate some random man she has never met TELLING her to smile. Why is that so hard to comprehend! It has nothing to do with any generation. It's always been hated and always will be. When a woman is out minding her own business she does not need a man to tell her how she should be acting, or what she should be doing. Men, do men think it's okay if some random strange man tells you to smile? Do you smile for him since he was so nice to ask you to do that for him?
Ahh... But if you would have calmly read my reply rather than rushing to refute it, you would have understood that my mentioning "the creepy crawlers leering and slobbering on the streets" could have very much to do also with "random men TELLING women" or anyone else to smile or otherwise. But then again, that also is not illegal and certainly not the cardinal sin you seem to perceive it as, while this country is just as free for men as it is for women, who certainly exercise the freedom to ignore whatever they choose, as is the favored practice here in my town.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Aah, so it's all about you. Makes perfect sense now, actually.

I want to impart some wisdom to any men in the audience. Women aren't waiting around to be told whether or not you find us attractive or to be flirted with 24/7. We have things to do and lives to live and sometimes we just want to buy some blasted groceries without some guy trying to get our phone number. If you see a woman who is just going about her life and maybe looks a little frazzled, she's not going to respond favorably to lame pick-ups. Don't be shocked, hurt, or upset, just leave her alone. Especially if she wasn't paying any attention to you to begin with.
Yep, exactly. It really weirds me out when I hear it now. If I am deep in thought or concerned about something I may be stony-faced or frowning. Leave me alone! I am not here to decorate your world.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:45 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
Heh. Old and fugly. It annoys me too but I'm not rude about it. I just half-smile as a reflex from being caught off guard and move on. Funny that it happens enough to be recognized as a "thing". If I was pouting or crying and a guy walked by and said, "Hey, put a smile on that face!" I'd just feel like it was because I looked upset and he was trying to be nice.

But I don't walk around with "sad face". So when I'm just out reading or chatting or looking at things and a guy says, "Put a smile on that face, beautiful", I don't take the "smile" part as a compliment, just an odd thing to say, implying that I'm not smiling as much as he thinks I should be, and I agree with the women who've said it's annoying. Cease assessing my smile levels, sir!

For those saying it's just a compliment, why not just pay an actual compliment and not add extra things to it? I react more positively to that than being told to smile. It's the difference between me walking by a stranger saying, "Hey, handsome, stop making that face!" or saying "Hey, handsome!" I just feel like the latter is less obnoxious lol

Old 09-20-2013, 06:03 PM

97 posts, read 101,906 times
Jeez, it's not like they are there telling you to get in the kitchen and make em a sammich. They aren't telling you to go home and clean the house. It's not like they are saying women are the inferior gender, both physically and mentally. They aren't pointing out statistics that say men overall have higher IQs. It's just a dude with a really really bad opening gambit. Smile and move on. That's an order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships