Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times

Advertisements

Guys really do this?

I'm a guy and that would just seem rude and awkward.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:05 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Ooh, I hate that "you should smile more" thing from strangers. I one time had a man on the train pull that right after I'd had a serious personal crisis. It was horrible timing, considering I was just trying to keep it together enough to make it home without bursting into tears. I started bawling. I bet he thought twice before he used that line again. All of you who think its so cute and flirty need to find a new schtick, or better yet, mind your own business.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:17 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I would never tell a woman that, it does sound sexist to me. However, a girl told me last week I should smile more, and I was in a pretty bad mood about work when she told me this. I really appreciated it and now when I see her I always smile (she was not someone I normally spoke to). So I guess the perception of being chauvinistic and belittling to someone can kill ones mood, but when a woman says it to a guy, that same sense of sexism just aint there. At least to me.
I was going to say, I've been told by women to smile...it's ironic, because I used to be a smiley person, people even used to say, 'why are you smiling so much?' Then I got depressed and anxious. But it's not that men necessarily just find it aesthetically pleasing, they might just want you to cheer up. I never found it weird or invasive, it's not like they're ordering...although if they're persistent it's annoying. I never thought it could be sexist, but I'm not a woman so I can't speak for them.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
That's completely unrealistic.

You can't smile all the time! What if there's nothing to smile about?

"You should smile more!"

Where do they get off with that?
I don't ever hear that, because I am already always smiling.

What's the point of walking around with a frown or tight lips all the time? Maybe they are saying you would be more attractive if you didn't look like you just ate a lemon.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 AM

Wow. Just read all the responses.

If someone were to tell me to smile, I wouldn't be irritated. I would be flattered, because that means they found my face attractive enough to make a comment. What is so dang wrong with that?

I don't know where you come off with assuming it's all about a man wanting what he wants. What EVER! From one woman to another. Ya'll need to get your heads out. You sound like a bunch of dried-up man-hating prunes.

Good luck with your attitudes "ladies" (not).

Old 09-23-2013, 08:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Wow. Just read all the responses.

If someone were to tell me to smile, I wouldn't be irritated. I would be flattered, because that means they found my face attractive enough to make a comment. What is so dang wrong with that?

I don't know where you come off with assuming it's all about a man wanting what he wants. What EVER! From one woman to another. Ya'll need to get your heads out. You sound like a bunch of dried-up man-hating prunes.

Good luck with your attitudes "ladies" (not).
When guys yell, "Show us your ****!" do you graciously oblige? It's so flattering!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
When guys yell, "Show us your ****!" do you graciously oblige? It's so flattering!
Nope, I say show me your d!!cks.

Get a grip. It's a fncking smile, for God's sake, they aren't asking you to pole-dance.

And I see some of you on the Relationships forum whining about how you can't get or keep a man. No surprise there.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Nope, I say show me your d!!cks.

Get a grip. It's a fncking smile, for God's sake, they aren't asking you to pole-dance.

And I see some of you on the Relationships forum whining about how you can't get or keep a man. No surprise there.
How's all that smiling working out for you? Land one yet? If not, keep your chin up and your **** out, sister.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
How's all that smiling working out for you? Land one yet? If not, keep your chin up and your **** out, sister.

I already have one, thanks, and he's what keeps me smiling everyday, since 2002! See how that works?

Classic sh!!tty attitude from a feminist. Dumb heifers.

@@ <-- rolls eyes

Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I already have one, thanks, and he's what keeps me smiling everyday, since 2002! See how that works?

Classic sh!!tty attitude from a feminist. Dumb heifers.

@@ <-- rolls eyes
I mentioned my husband upthread, so I'm not sure what "see how that works" means. I've been married since 1995. My husband doesn't treat women like decorations and I love him all the more for it.

Your insults are getting really desperate and pathetic. Nobody here is competing with you for the pretty prize, so save your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships