Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 PM

451 posts, read 769,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
However, since this thread, I've stopped saying it. Instead, I have focused more on giving a person a reason to smile: a compliment, my own infectious smile, etc.
I'd like to thank you very much for restoring a little bit of my faith in humanity.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Goodness gracious...

A lot of super uptight angry women who take things waaaayyy too personally. Just chill the fudge out (and stop frowning angrily as you read this). No one is commanding you to do anything! So deluded...I've never heard of a man commanding a woman to smile, you freaking kidding me? It may feel like that to you but I assure you that's not what the guy's intention is.

Secondly, they only want you to smile to make them happy...Er, well that's part of it, everyone wants that, not just men of women... but maybe they just wanna cheer you up? Sure i get you might be annoyed, but the fact you take it so seriously probably shows that you're the type to get easily offended.

It is sort of weird if it's some random guy you don't know though. I'm thinking if someone said that in the first place they would know that you didn't smile enough. I actually wasn't aware of any double standard saying women should smile more.

Either way, I never even knew it was a gender thing and maybe a lot of angry women looking to be offended are reading things into it. This and the thread about people not answering their door makes me go WTF at humanity. Of all the things to ***** and get red in the face about? lol

Y'all keep being grumpy and self-righteous about it...not that I really do it anyway to people I don't know, but thanks for letting me know that if I do it some women might slap me.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Have you even read the thread?

Women have given all the reasons it's wrong to tell someone to smile and why we don't appreciate it, yet here is another post, saying it's perfectly fine to tell women to smile more.

Is there a particular reason you, and all the other men arguing against women that it's perfectly acceptable, aren't able to instead think "wow, I had no idea what an annoyance this is to women, I should stop doing that"?

We don't care about the studies about smiling improving your mood!!! How I wear my face when walking along the street, or standing at a bar waiting to order a drink, is not an indication of what mood I'm in. Everyone has a neutral expression, the way their face relaxes when they're not interacting with anyone.

What we care about is not needing strange men demanding we smile. Whether your intent is flirting, or otherwise, how you're being perceived is as intrusive and demanding, and we'd really like you to stop.
Jeepers...who said you had to do what they said? It's a suggestion, not being 'told what to do.' What are you, a child, that you have to do everything someone tells you to?

If you don't wanna do it ignore them. Just quit moaning about it and getting your panties in a bunch.

Do these men get all steamed up because you don't smile? Is this feminist paranoia gone crazy? God help us.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Jeepers...who said you had to do what they said? It's a suggestion, not being 'told what to do.' What are you, a child, that you have to do everything someone tells you to?

If you don't wanna do it ignore them. Just quit moaning about it and getting your panties in a bunch.

Do these men get all steamed up because you don't smile? Is this feminist paranoia gone crazy? God help us.
i was buying lunch today at a store, and the cashier said playfully, "are you buying me lunch"?
and she smiled...

well, how dare she demand that?? a total stranger asking me to buy her lunch?? what is this world coming to??

Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i was buying lunch today at a store, and the cashier said playfully, "are you buying me lunch"?
and she smiled...

well, how dare she demand that?? a total stranger asking me to buy her lunch?? what is this world coming to??
You don't know the difference between a question and a demand? Really?

What that person did was ask you a question aka make a request. A demand is a command specifically to do something for the one giving the demand.

Question/request: please have a seat? Or would you like to sit down?
Demand: Sit!

See the difference yet.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I never considered "smile" as a sexist remark. I've told both men and women to smile. Not to be sexist, but because everyone looks better with a smile on their face.

However, since this thread, I've stopped saying it. Instead, I have focused more on giving a person a reason to smile: a compliment, my own infectious smile, etc.
But once again, your desire to look at better looking people does not give you the right to demand people who maybe going through something major to smile.

Seriously, a random stranger is walking down the street feeling sad about the death of their mother and you intrude upon that and demand they smile because it makes you feel good.

I am glad you have stopped demanding people smile but maybe you should give people the room to have their own feelings instead of expecting them to have yours.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You don't know the difference between a question and a demand? Really?

What that person did was ask you a question aka make a request. A demand is a command specifically to do something for the one giving the demand.

Question/request: please have a seat? Or would you like to sit down?
Demand: Sit!

See the difference yet.
What men are just walking up to a woman walking down Main Street and screeching "Smile!".

Your taking this way out of line!

From what I've read on here it is mostly a "It can't be that bad....smile" while the male is smiling. He doesn't know if your mom died or your face doesn't ever smile. He is trying to be nice.

God forbid someone wants to brighten up your day.

Not to say a male has never said just "smile " before. I think most are just trying to be friendly.

Am I going to get mad because a women says "how is my day"? Hell no. Of course they are intruding and being mean and demanding.....burn her alive!

It isn't black and white like your expaining. Now go get your panties unbunched.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
What men are just walking up to a woman walking down Main Street and screeching "Smile!".

Your taking this way out of line!

From what I've read on here it is mostly a "It can't be that bad....smile" while the male is smiling. He doesn't know if your mom died or your face doesn't ever smile. He is trying to be nice.

God forbid someone wants to brighten up your day.

Not to say a male has never said just "smile " before. I think most are just trying to be friendly.

Am I going to get mad because a women says "how is my day"? Hell no. Of course they are intruding and being mean and demanding.....burn her alive!

It isn't black and white like your expaining. Now go get your panties unbunched.

No as multiple people have stated the demand to smile is about what THEY want first and foremost. And just because someone thinks they are being friendly doesn't mean they aren't being rude. There are lots of rude thing people do in the name of friendliness.

More personal attacks for pointing out how rude it is to demand strangers hide their own feelings to make you happy shocking.

Be rude, make demands, I for one have decided to start meeting rudeness with rudeness. Maybe that will make the point.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No as multiple people have stated the demand to smile is about what THEY want first and foremost. And just because someone thinks they are being friendly doesn't mean they aren't being rude. There are lots of rude thing people do in the name of friendliness.

More personal attacks for pointing out how rude it is to demand strangers hide their own feelings to make you happy shocking.

Be rude, make demands, I for one have decided to start meeting rudeness with rudeness. Maybe that will make the point.
At this point we might as well not even talk to people anymore. Someone might ask me "What is up"......but I dont want to tell them what is up!

If you think men are ASKING women to smile which in your brain translates to a demand nothing can help this thread.

You already have preconceived thoughts when a male stranger walks by. I feel bad for male strangers around you. Most people are trying to be friendly.....again maybe noone should talk to anyone if it can be turn upside down and be negative.

Get it through your skull if I say some kind of phrase that a female should smile im not trying to be rude or secretively trying to get off on the attention. Im trying to brighten someone's day up!

Lets all just stop talking because a few have to turn everything negative.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Yet again, it is always a man asking a woman to smile; not a man asking a man, or woman asking a man; it is just some cheap way to start some conversation with the hopes of getting in her pants, it is sad really.

It is apparent that many men still have too think of s skull to get it through their head that women do not like it; in these men's mind, they are right and women are idiots, b*&ch's, or whatever because they they do not like it or find it offensive.

I have yet to ever have anyone ask me to smile, yet my wife will get this at least average once a day. I think some men just have some serious issues going on in their head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships