Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times

Advertisements

I almost always tell, occasionally, even strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Default Camping in a Wilderness Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Is it just me or does it seem that most people won't tell others when something is "wrong", like when you obviously have something on your face, in your hair, on your clothes, have tissue dragging on your shoe, have your skirt/dress stuck in your panties (and haven't noticed the breeze yet ), etc?

What is that?

If you noticed someone had a smudge of ketchup or something on their face, would you just stand there talking to them without mentioning it? Are you someone who generally doesn't make people aware of things they probably would want to know about so they can take care of it, especially knowing they'll otherwise be walking around in public with it? If so, why?
I'm getting the grille going for burgers.
My spouse walks over with a tin pan of burgers.
I say, honey, there's a bee in your hair.
Whhhaaaaattttt!!! oooops, there goes dinner into the dirt.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
I ALWAYS tell my family and friends if they do and if its a friend that's in our circle, I'll them know too. Heck, depending I'll even tell strangers. Once in a while I do mess around with people and won't let them know if there's something on their face just to play around. All depends on where we're going though but I could never not say something.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:36 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
One time I didn't tell was too embarrassing, a woman in line ahead of me at the dry cleaners had had some sort of huge stain in the back of the crotch area of her light colored pants. I knew what had probably happened but it was so personal in nature that I couldn't bring myself to say it to a stranger. I know I should have just whispered that she needed to check the back of her pants, but I chickened out.
Oy, tell me about it. I was in Penn Station and saw some girls walking. As they passed, I noticed people were staring at them and whispering with these surprised looks on their faces, some even giggled a bit. When they finally passed me, I turned to look at them and the girl in the middle wearing white pants clearly had a red package delivered on the monthly express.

She looked a little out of it so I caught up to them and said to her friend instead of her, "Excuse me? It looks like your friend had... something...?" and kind of tilted my head to motion down towards her butt lol The girl looked down and said, "Oh my god!" Whispered in the girl's ear and she put her hand back there, checking. Then they fumbled with one of their jackets to let the girl wrap it around her waist and thanked me. If I was a guy, I don't know if I would have felt comfortable even addressing it.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I think it depends on what it is. I've personally NEVER had something really obvious on my face or clothing, but from my experiences, a stranger sure won't tell you & not an acquaintance either, if you have something in your nose OR in your teeth...probably because they don't want to embarrass you & they know that you wouldn't know if that thing in your nose or teeth came along before or after they saw you. A pretty good friend might tell you.

Much more obvious things like something clearly on your face or something on your clothing is easier to tell someone than something IN someone's nose or between teeth or some other embarrassing place.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
I usually tell people if I notice something amiss.

My oddest story is when I was student teaching and one of my students, a severely cognitively delayed 14 year old, hugged me with finger paint all over his hands.

I walked around campus the rest of the day with two large handprints on my butt and no one told me. I couldn't believe it when my room mate mentioned it when I got home at night.

Regarding "stuff on your pants", saying "You may have sat on something" is a good way to put it. My husband has this bad habit of setting down his candy on the other seat in the car, if the middle part is filled with soda or coffee cups. I have sat on melted chocolate and other things more times than I care to recall. Since, our seats are brown/black I sometimes don't notice it until it while I'm getting into the car.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 AM

germaine2626, sorry to say, but then that is an issue of stupidity on your husband's part to leave candy on the seats for the innocent bystandard to sit on it. What is he, 5 years old?! You shouldn't even have to tell him this, but telling him one time not to leave candy on the seat should be enough. If he still doesn't stop, I don't know what to think!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:41 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I usually tell people if I notice something amiss.

My oddest story is when I was student teaching and one of my students, a severely cognitively delayed 14 year old, hugged me with finger paint all over his hands.

I walked around campus the rest of the day with two large handprints on my butt and no one told me. I couldn't believe it when my room mate mentioned it when I got home at night.

Regarding "stuff on your pants", saying "You may have sat on something" is a good way to put it. My husband has this bad habit of setting down his candy on the other seat in the car, if the middle part is filled with soda or coffee cups. I have sat on melted chocolate and other things more times than I care to recall. Since, our seats are brown/black I sometimes don't notice it until it while I'm getting into the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
germaine2626, sorry to say, but then that is an issue of stupidity on your husband's part to leave candy on the seats for the innocent bystandard to sit on it. What is he, 5 years old?! You shouldn't even have to tell him this, but telling him one time not to leave candy on the seat should be enough. If he still doesn't stop, I don't know what to think!
I probably should clarify. It really hasn't been that many times, but you are right, it shouldn't happen more than once. He just puts down whatever he has in his hands, the newspaper, the mail, the bag from the drug store, etc. on the other seat (I do the same thing with my purse & stuff when I'm driving) and it sometimes includes a candy bar or is just a candy bar. He can be a real idiot about stuff like that.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 AM

LOL! Let's just hope you're not wearing white one of these days!

Old 09-29-2013, 04:19 PM

358 posts, read 1,056,858 times
I always say something also. I would want someone to tell me. I guess people are worried they will embarrass others, but I would rather be embarrassed a little if someone warns me rather than be horribly embarrassed later when I realize it on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships