U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,094,567 times

Advertisements

Knowing I must get used to a new person working for me, I've been very easygoing with this woman.. She apparently likes moving things around and some of it is all right, but, moving items used daily to another location isn't appreciated. I've explained to her if it's something used all the time, I need it to be where it was yesterday. I'm dubious she understands the concept.

It's not easy to find someone and I intend to give her many chances. My physical strength is limited and having someone come in regularly helps so much; however, once more, she moved things around without any reason at all. So, maybe my sanity is at stake. Tuesday, I opened one side of a closet and had some items for her to hang in that closet. Last evening, when I went to that closet for a garment, it was nowhere to be found until I checked the other end. There it was. Turns out she changed the closet around. I about lost it and today I'm trying to put the closet back to sort of how it was before. Not sure if I can continue dealing with what seems so illogical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM

2,386 posts, read 5,437,317 times
Just tell her how you feel and what you want. Simply put, its YOUR house and YOU are paying her and if she can't get with it, kick her to the curb.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 AM

248 posts, read 400,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Just tell her how you feel and what you want. Simply put, its YOUR house and YOU are paying her and if she can't get with it, kick her to the curb.
Yep, sounds like this lady has boundaries (or lack there of) issue. Unless there is a language barrier.
I agree with you - Rubi3's house, Rubi3's rules. But the cleaning lady is trying to organize the house the way she sees fit.

Rubi3, put your foot down now, moving "not every day use" things around is not ok either, it is your house and the cleaning lady has to respect this fact.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:08 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,477,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I've explained to her if it's something used all the time, I need it to be where it was yesterday. I'm dubious she understands the concept.

I agree that she should do as you wish, but...

Did you give her a list of those items?

I hope you don't expect her to read your mind, and I hope you did not overwhelm her with a long diatribe. Learning a new job is tough.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:11 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,437,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I agree that she should do as you wish, but...

Did you give her a list of those items?

I hope you don't expect her to read your mind, and I hope you did not overwhelm her with a long diatribe. Learning a new job is tough.
This. Let her know what you want without exploding on her and making her uncomfortable. Kindly explain what you want and don't want and do it in a polite manner. If there's a language barrier, she'll progressively learn. Since usually language barriers mean cultural differences, I'm sure she doesn't mean any harm by doing what she does.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:56 PM

I would not explode in any way. There is no language barrier. The day she was interviewed, I explained what was needed and she agreed. There were no surprises from me. I'm fully aware we will be getting used to each other and I'm easy to get along with. She doesn't have to do everything exactly as I would like to have it. What i don't want is to not be able to find my comb and hairbrush, so, I'll need to explain not to rearrange the bathroom. The rubber pad where my comb rested is now under the bar of soap at the lavatory. The soap at the tub now rests on my rubber shampoo brush. When I explain what I need her to do, she quickly says she understands, but, I'm not so sure she really heard me.

I do think it will work with a little time. At no time have I ever said anything unkind to her.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:41 PM

268 posts, read 414,852 times
Language barrier?

If you live in the United States.. she needs to understand and speak English.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobBarley View Post
Language barrier?

If you live in the United States.. she needs to understand and speak English.
No language barrier at all. English is probably her first and only language.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:30 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,012,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Knowing I must get used to a new person working for me, I've been very easygoing with this woman.. She apparently likes moving things around and some of it is all right, but, moving items used daily to another location isn't appreciated. I've explained to her if it's something used all the time, I need it to be where it was yesterday. I'm dubious she understands the concept.

It's not easy to find someone and I intend to give her many chances. My physical strength is limited and having someone come in regularly helps so much; however, once more, she moved things around without any reason at all. So, maybe my sanity is at stake. Tuesday, I opened one side of a closet and had some items for her to hang in that closet. Last evening, when I went to that closet for a garment, it was nowhere to be found until I checked the other end. There it was. Turns out she changed the closet around. I about lost it and today I'm trying to put the closet back to sort of how it was before. Not sure if I can continue dealing with what seems so illogical.
If you want to keep her as well as your sanity you need to be upfront with her and tell her she needs to leave EVERYTHING where it originally was.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:11 AM

12,544 posts, read 12,462,523 times
I don't mean to make light of what is probably a really annoying issue, but I keep thinking of Sex and the City, when Miranda's housekeeper replaces the vibrator in the night stand with a statue of the Virgin Mary.

Seriously, though, I would just tell the person that she is not to move things around or rearrange anything. Tell her that you find it burdensome and time-consuming to have to look for things, and that she needs to put things back exactly where she found them. She's there to make your life easier, not harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships