U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:51 AM

501 posts, read 664,356 times

Advertisements

The OP should get a little more aggressive with Mom and contact the police to report she stole things and admitted to it, press charges maybe this will put a halt to her foolishness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 12:00 PM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyAlexandria View Post
Ok. I'm 21 years old, I moved out of my parent's house at 18, and never ask them for anything. I'm in college, (paying for it myself, as well as day to day expenses) and have a steady job as a nanny. About a month ago, the apartment below mine was part of a crime scene, and the police asked the people in the nearby units if they would leave for 2 weeks so that it wouldn't be compromised and could be cleaned, so I asked my parents if I could stay. They said yes, as longnas I didn't bring Aurora, my dog. (I didn't.) Anyway, one afternoon, about four days in, I left my phone on my dresser while I changed clothes, and laptop in my closed backpack in on my bed, in my room. After I changed, I noticed my phone was gone, but I couldn't do anything then, I was almost late to pick up the kids I nanny for, and I went to work. (Both items were completely purchased by me after I moved out) When I got home, the bag was open, and the laptop was now gone as well. When I asked my mom, she told me she had taken them, and when I asked her why, she said I abused them. (To be clear, I'm a senior in college, and go to class from 7am to 2:30 pm. I then have 30 minutes to put my things away and change before I have to be at work from 3:00 pm to 9. I usually have about 3-3 1/2 hours of homework a night, which I do after I get home.) She said I spent too much time using them, and wouldn't listen when I tried to explain that I have to always have my phone with me in case something came up with the children (it's happened before!) and only use my laptop for homework. After the two weeks, I went back to my apartment, but she still won't give me my things back, and now she's staying with me for two days and yesterday, I answered the door and a lady was there saying my mom had sold my dog (whom I bought) to her! I told her the dog wasn't for sale and she said she was going to go to the police! Can the police take my dog? Does my mother have any legal rights to my laptop and phone? Or my dog?
Call the cops and cut off contact with her unless she gets professional help. That's unacceptable and thre is something wrong with her.. She should be glad you're standing on your own two feet.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:18 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,684,066 times
Whos trip trapping across my bridge?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,215 times
i think this is a family business and my advice to you is to ask her why she did that ,whatever u do try to not scrow up u relation ship with your mother because family more importen then a dog

Old 09-29-2013, 02:50 PM

5,508 posts, read 6,095,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleetan View Post
No matter what age you are, your parents cannot take your stuff or threaten you.
Assuming you're an adult.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM

13,136 posts, read 20,702,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabil23 View Post
i think this is a family business and my advice to you is to ask her why she did that ,whatever u do try to not scrow up u relation ship with your mother because family more importen then a dog
Not if the family member treats you like a dog. Give me the dog any day.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:05 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,807,983 times
Quote:
No it's not, the dog is family too. She gets unconditional love from the dog, a companion that will always be there for her. Mom is a twit.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:30 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,123,837 times
Quote:
My dog is my family and is more than just a "dog" to me. if a mom would do that to her daughter, she doesn't sound like a very nice person!

Old 09-29-2013, 03:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,759,042 times
Is your mother gambling or using drugs? Maybe she's selling your stuff for cash instead of punishment, but is telling you it's "your fault" because she doesn't want to admit she's stealing.

I think she just wants money for her drugs/gambling. Either way, kick her out and give her a deadline to give you your stuff back before you call the cops and have her arrested.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:42 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,963,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Started at 2am, my point is, where does one go to use a computer at 2am if their mom has taken their phone and laptop? From my experience one has to actually have one or the other to access the www unless they are at a friend's home and the library is closed at 2am in all of the areas I have ever lived.
She is a college student.

Many(if not most) university libraries are open 24 hours a day so that students can study or do research whenever they need to do so.

College students often experience insomnia at odd times - what better way to use those periods of sleeplessness in the pre-dawn hours then spending time in the library?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships