Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 02:04 AM

15 posts, read 50,892 times

Advertisements

Ok. I'm 21 years old, I moved out of my parent's house at 18, and never ask them for anything. I'm in college, (paying for it myself, as well as day to day expenses) and have a steady job as a nanny. About a month ago, the apartment below mine was part of a crime scene, and the police asked the people in the nearby units if they would leave for 2 weeks so that it wouldn't be compromised and could be cleaned, so I asked my parents if I could stay. They said yes, as longnas I didn't bring Aurora, my dog. (I didn't.) Anyway, one afternoon, about four days in, I left my phone on my dresser while I changed clothes, and laptop in my closed backpack in on my bed, in my room. After I changed, I noticed my phone was gone, but I couldn't do anything then, I was almost late to pick up the kids I nanny for, and I went to work. (Both items were completely purchased by me after I moved out) When I got home, the bag was open, and the laptop was now gone as well. When I asked my mom, she told me she had taken them, and when I asked her why, she said I abused them. (To be clear, I'm a senior in college, and go to class from 7am to 2:30 pm. I then have 30 minutes to put my things away and change before I have to be at work from 3:00 pm to 9. I usually have about 3-3 1/2 hours of homework a night, which I do after I get home.) She said I spent too much time using them, and wouldn't listen when I tried to explain that I have to always have my phone with me in case something came up with the children (it's happened before!) and only use my laptop for homework. After the two weeks, I went back to my apartment, but she still won't give me my things back, and now she's staying with me for two days and yesterday, I answered the door and a lady was there saying my mom had sold my dog (whom I bought) to her! I told her the dog wasn't for sale and she said she was going to go to the police! Can the police take my dog? Does my mother have any legal rights to my laptop and phone? Or my dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 02:26 AM

606 posts, read 939,659 times
No, your mother has no rights to the things you've bought yourself. None whatsoever.

At this point you need to get the police involved, and quickly, before your mom sells your things. Having receipts to demonstrate that you've bought the items and are paying the phone bill yourself would be useful here. I would call the non-emergency number first thing in the AM and explain the situation. You might also contact the legal office at your university -- they often have help available for students.

It sounds like your mom is not at all a safe person for you to be around in any capacity right now. I hope things work out for you with a minimum of fuss.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:58 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,299,785 times
Firstly, cudos to you for standing on your own two feet!

Regarding the issue, your mother has no rights over you. Just like you don't have to take care of your parents when they're old.

No, they didn't have to let you stay there for two weeks, but they did. I'm sorry that you're going through this.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:26 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,367,165 times
Excellent advice, and No to your mom taking your stuff incl your dog (what was she thinking?!), not sure how she could try to sell your dog when the dog wasn't there but that's beside the point, def go to the police today and explain the situation so you can get your dog and other items back, good luck and pls keep us posted

Old 09-29-2013, 06:09 AM

1,485 posts, read 1,806,868 times
No matter what age you are, your parents cannot take your stuff or threaten you.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,364,490 times
I would file a police report.
Was your mom always like this? It sounds like she thinks you're 12, and I couldn't help but wonder if she is early dementia.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,376,052 times
Such a weird story and your mother sold your dog. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:17 AM

49,970 posts, read 63,277,013 times
You sound like you managed to become a very sensible, responsible person despite a very strange mother. She sounds poisonous and I would do what is necessary to get your stuff back, then keep your distance from her.
Or, is there a lot of the story you are leaving out?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:47 AM

524 posts, read 840,136 times
Your mom wants to have her cake and eat it too. Sinceyou are self sufficient, she has no right to come into your stuff and take it. If you we're jobless and lived at home and she paid for your phone, that might be another story

Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,768,215 times
Your mom's a nutbag. Tell her if she doesn't return your stuff, you'll be taking her to small claims court. And then do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships