U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,214,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I think mentioning Jerry Sandusky in the same blog as hugging Grandma is ridiculous.

If the child has sensory issues and doesn't want to hug Grandma, that's one thing. But the child needs to be taught that in our culture we hug Grandma as a sign of affection and respect. The parent has a responsibility to work with the child to overcome her sensory issues or whatever it is that bothers her about hugging.
forced affection and boldily contact is not teaching children respect. being a grandma does not entitle one a hug. most pedophiles are not strangers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,380,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
debate the contents instead of projecting.

an adult forcing a kid to kiss on the lips is gross adults are not foiced to do this sho why should kids?

I have no intention of "debating" anyone here - this forum is not a debate forum.

You have some very extreme feelings on this subject which indicate to me you have some unresolved issues.

I was simply wishing you well and suggesting you speak to a therapist if you haven't already done so.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 PM

22,488 posts, read 24,050,026 times
Quote:
forced affection and boldily contact is not teaching children respect.
Do you feel the same about handshakes?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:27 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,059,747 times
Quote:
forced affection and boldily contact is not teaching children respect. being a grandma does not entitle one a hug. most pedophiles are not strangers
It sure as heck isn't teaching a child respect to train them that they can reject something so simple & wonderful as a grandmother's hug based on the most ridiculously overly sensitive drama-filled bunch of nonsense a child can manufacture in their universally immature brains. Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child--it isn't a parent's role to PLACATE and ACCOMMODATE that, but to blow it to bits if necessary, to treat it as the lunacy that it is & to tell them what a lot of, frankly, GROWN people need to hear--quit being so sensitive and making a fuss out of nothing.

I think it connects to how many in our culture cry fowl over stupid nonsense and being "offended," when the truth of the matter is they're just being a bunch of whiny babies who still haven't learned to stop sucking their thumbs. If I hear one more special interest group, say, cry fowl over how racists Looney Tunes cartoons supposedly are, or throw a fit over a celebrity having a goofy moment & mocking someone's accent (like you used to hear in sit-coms like "Sanford & Son"), I'm going to lose it. Once, JUST ONCE, when people cry fowl over how they're "offended," I'd love a response that, instead of apologizing, basically said "you're too sensitive, stop being a bunch of thumb-sucking weenies, don't like it, TOUGH, get over yourself."

I say that because that sort of thing, I think, is connected to THIS sort of thing & leads that sort of nonsense as the child grows up. A child is told that, for the most ridiculous of reasons ("I don't like giving hugs, old people stink, wah wah wah wah!!!") they can act all stupid & ridiculous and reject something as normal & not a big deal as getting a hug from your grandmother, claiming it "offends" them, blah blah blah. Such children need to be told "get over yourselves, you're being foolish," because they are.

Oh yes, and isn't it great that we're teaching children that, basically, all the people in our family are would-be molesters. Gee, that's wonderful. So--one pervert in the family means EVERYONE has to walk all on eggshells around your snowflake and not, oh my God, HUG THEM ("argh!!!!"), what you are nuts? Gee whiz, if you're that worried that people in your family are perverts, have you ever heard of, I don't know, not going around at all to start with? Or, here's an idea, don't punish those who AREN'T just because of those who ARE.

Sort of like us--we live hours from where we grew up, many wonderful people back there. There also happens to be an uncle of mine who, growing up, was known to behave inappropriately around little girls. When we were back in that area awhile back, guess what--we AVOIDED going to his house, even with his wife being one of my favorite aunts growing up, because no way was I taking that chance. However, the aunt was invited to meet us somewhere in public to eat out, she passed. That was her choice. Meanwhile, the rest of the family whom we've never had any issues with, we didn't punish them & make them act all sterile & "keep your hands off of my child!!!!" with our children, all over the fear that maybe just maybe they are more like my dirty uncle than I could know.

You can't live that way, being so overly cautious so as to have a sterile existence.

And we sure as heck don't need to be creating another generation acting all offended over nothing, when they need to be told "get over your nonsense," as many special interest groups sure as heck need to be told. Creating more of that for future generations is the LAST thing we need.

LRH

Old 10-01-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you feel the same about handshakes?
no handshakes are not the same

Old 10-01-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
It sure as heck isn't teaching a child respect to train them that they can reject something so simple & wonderful as a grandmother's hug based on the most ridiculously overly sensitive drama-filled bunch of nonsense a child can manufacture in their universally immature brains. Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child--it isn't a parent's role to PLACATE and ACCOMMODATE that, but to blow it to bits if necessary, to treat it as the lunacy that it is & to tell them what a lot of, frankly, GROWN people need to hear--quit being so sensitive and making a fuss out of nothing.

I think it connects to how many in our culture cry fowl over stupid nonsense and being "offended," when the truth of the matter is they're just being a bunch of whiny babies who still haven't learned to stop sucking their thumbs. If I hear one more special interest group, say, cry fowl over how racists Looney Tunes cartoons supposedly are, or throw a fit over a celebrity having a goofy moment & mocking someone's accent (like you used to hear in sit-coms like "Sanford & Son"), I'm going to lose it. Once, JUST ONCE, when people cry fowl over how they're "offended," I'd love a response that, instead of apologizing, basically said "you're too sensitive, stop being a bunch of thumb-sucking weenies, don't like it, TOUGH, get over yourself."

I say that because that sort of thing, I think, is connected to THIS sort of thing & leads that sort of nonsense as the child grows up. A child is told that, for the most ridiculous of reasons ("I don't like giving hugs, old people stink, wah wah wah wah!!!") they can act all stupid & ridiculous and reject something as normal & not a big deal as getting a hug from your grandmother, claiming it "offends" them, blah blah blah. Such children need to be told "get over yourselves, you're being foolish," because they are.

Oh yes, and isn't it great that we're teaching children that, basically, all the people in our family are would-be molesters. Gee, that's wonderful. So--one pervert in the family means EVERYONE has to walk all on eggshells around your snowflake and not, oh my God, HUG THEM ("argh!!!!"), what you are nuts? Gee whiz, if you're that worried that people in your family are perverts, have you ever heard of, I don't know, not going around at all to start with? Or, here's an idea, don't punish those who AREN'T just because of those who ARE.

Sort of like us--we live hours from where we grew up, many wonderful people back there. There also happens to be an uncle of mine who, growing up, was known to behave inappropriately around little girls. When we were back in that area awhile back, guess what--we AVOIDED going to his house, even with his wife being one of my favorite aunts growing up, because no way was I taking that chance. However, the aunt was invited to meet us somewhere in public to eat out, she passed. That was her choice. Meanwhile, the rest of the family whom we've never had any issues with, we didn't punish them & make them act all sterile & "keep your hands off of my child!!!!" with our children, all over the fear that maybe just maybe they are more like my dirty uncle than I could know.

You can't live that way, being so overly cautious so as to have a sterile existence.

And we sure as heck don't need to be creating another generation acting all offended over nothing, when they need to be told "get over your nonsense," as many special interest groups sure as heck need to be told. Creating more of that for future generations is the LAST thing we need.

LRH

if you are so offended when a child refuses to hug you you have issues. i wouldn't let any child go no where near you or anybody with this entitlement mentality who think they have aright to force hug and kiss children. you claim children have immature brains. i never see one with such mentality you constantly display here

Old 10-01-2013, 03:38 PM

58 posts, read 131,617 times
I remember my grandmother (whom I love more than anything and she has passed) telling me that as a child I refused to hug my Aunt Jenny ( she was a large lady with frizzy red hair and coke bottle glasses, I guess I was scared of her.) and it still bothers me to this day that I embarrassed my grandmother like that by not wanting to hug my aunt. So, I think it hurts the adult in the situation more than the child that is forced to hug. IMO

Old 10-01-2013, 03:59 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,059,747 times
Quote:
if you are so offended when a child refuses to hug you you have issues. i wouldn't let any child go no where near you or anybody with this entitlement mentality who think they have aright to force hug and kiss children. you claim children have immature brains. i never see one with such mentality you constantly display here
I am NOT talking about a grown person being offended at "hug rejection," although I think such may be a valid complaint. I am referring to children being so offended at being ASKED to, and that silly sensitivity being coddled by the parents.

LRH

Old 10-01-2013, 04:18 PM

13,147 posts, read 20,728,258 times
I never insisted my kids hug anybody. At times I may have been embarrassed by their refusals, but that was my problem.
Today, I really hate it when parents tell their offspring who to hug or kiss. It is either sincere, or forced, and I don't want anybody forced to hug me.

I think parents should expect their kids to say goodbye, and thank you for having me over, or thank you for coming. If the child then wants to add a kiss or hug, fine. Good manners don't dictate there must be physical contact, even with relatives.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 PM

4,827 posts, read 7,253,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post

Well one night we returned from our excursions & they said "we made spaghetti." Turns out our 6 year old HATES spaghetti and said "yuck, I hate that nasty mess." I proceeded to chew her out like there was no tomorrow, letting her know how nice these people were to let us stay there & enjoy their pool etc and when she continued to balk at eating it, she got to watch us enjoy the pool while she sat on the sidelines. When she heard the word "pool" she was all excited "yah, I get to jump in the pool" to which I bellowed "oh no you DON'T! You get to eat the spaghetti outside and watch us from the sidelines while WE enjoy the pool" and that she did. Even then she was slow to eat it, but eat it she eventually did, and THEN she got to enjoy the pool with us (and for barely 10 minutes as we were about done by then).

LRH

This is an insane post. I'm all for discipline, respect, etc but this is crazy. Definitely NOT good parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships