U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 AM

193 posts, read 487,329 times

Advertisements

Good friend of mine got a prescription for adderall a couple of weeks ago. She was told to take it every morning.

Then she suddenly tells me how great this prescription is. How she can take it late at night when she is having trouble studying, or in the afternoon during boring classes, etc. She raves about how much better it helps her focus.

Now, I'm no doctor, but to me someone who gets their prescription and immediately starts taking it at times they aren't supposed to, and raving about how great it is, seems like they are getting off to a bad start.

So I talked to her bluntly for a bit about how even legal prescription drugs can ruin people, and it's not something to just goof around with. It's not like coffee where you just take it when you need a boost or anything.

She got all mad and said she felt like she was being intervened upon or something. I told her I just wanted to make sure that she was healthy and that doctors' orders are there for a reason, but that didn't appease her.

So now she's pretty upset with me, but I'm standing by my decision to mention that.

Have I done the right thing, or does she have reason to be offended by what I said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Technically, she should be READING and FOLLOWING the instructions that came with the drug. Do you know for certain that she isn't supposed to be taking the drug at those different times (I'm not familiar with how that drug is administered).

If so, then hey, you did your part by reminding her that she's not taking it properly. Whether she should or shouldn't be offended is irrelevant to you. You can only vouch for your own actions and "shoulds".

Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 AM

193 posts, read 487,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do you know for certain that she isn't supposed to be taking the drug at those different times (I'm not familiar with how that drug is administered).
Yup, she even admitted she's not supposed to be taking it at night but did it anyway... She said once a day in the morning.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM

13,158 posts, read 20,772,581 times
If she's taking more than the recommended dosage, then she'll run out before being able to get a refill. Actions will have their own consequences.

Adderall usage is huge on college campuses now.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM

324 posts, read 534,472 times
I have a friend who uses it for weight loss. She claims her family doc said she has ADD, which is a line of bull. Simply weight loss and energy.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,631,742 times
OP, your friend knows when she's supposed to be taking the medication, and she knows she's taking it at other times when it isn't prescribed. Unless she's incredibly stupid, she knows that taking more than the recommended amounts of ANY medication can have some very bad side effects. So you were telling her things that she most likely already knows. People hate that, especially when you tell them you're doing it for their own good. It does start to feel like an intervention. No one likes having their potentially self-destructive behavior pointed out to them, unless they had no clue that the behavior is potentially self-destructive.

So unless you're sure that your friend has no idea of the potential consequences of her actions, if you want to maintain the friendship you should probably MYOB.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 PM

6,739 posts, read 8,721,884 times
I'm sure her doctor told her the side affects, when to take it, etc.

You've mentioned your "concerns'. Now it's all you can do. Unfortunately, if you keep pressing her about it, she will turn on you and your friendship more than likely will dissolve...

People do stupid things with their medications..

Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 PM

12,887 posts, read 15,418,335 times
Maybe she's "all upset" with you because she'd hoped for your support, and maybe that you'd be exited for her to have found something that helps her so well. Even if she does take it the odd time when she shouldn't have, does that mean she'll forever more abuse them? Maybe she's angry that you don't trust her to do the right thing for herself.
It's good that you informed her of the side effects, now she knows, try not to be her keeper and question her about it anymore. You've said your piece, now she knows...just be happy for her now.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:18 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,961,131 times
SInce this topic is about the relationship, not about the health of the friend, it is moved to Non-Romantic Relationships.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:56 PM

3,445 posts, read 5,057,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Good friend of mine got a prescription for adderall a couple of weeks ago. She was told to take it every morning.

Then she suddenly tells me how great this prescription is. How she can take it late at night when she is having trouble studying, or in the afternoon during boring classes, etc. She raves about how much better it helps her focus.

Now, I'm no doctor, but to me someone who gets their prescription and immediately starts taking it at times they aren't supposed to, and raving about how great it is, seems like they are getting off to a bad start.

So I talked to her bluntly for a bit about how even legal prescription drugs can ruin people, and it's not something to just goof around with. It's not like coffee where you just take it when you need a boost or anything.

She got all mad and said she felt like she was being intervened upon or something. I told her I just wanted to make sure that she was healthy and that doctors' orders are there for a reason, but that didn't appease her.

So now she's pretty upset with me, but I'm standing by my decision to mention that.

Have I done the right thing, or does she have reason to be offended by what I said?
MYOB. Its her health care and none of your business. When you get your Medical Degree you should then give her advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or