Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 12:24 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times

Advertisements

I just answer the door naked. After the first couple of callers were struck blind, word got around. Now even the Jehovah's Witnesses cross to the other side of the street when they come to my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 12:46 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Yes. Maybe its a cultural/regional thing, but why wouldn't I answer the door in such a scenario?

Old 09-17-2017, 12:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
I answer. Usually it's a neighbor. The other day it was neighbor asking if the lost dog following her was mine. It wasn't. Both my houses have a sidelight, so I can see who's there and do a quick threat assessment.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:17 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I answer. Usually it's a neighbor. The other day it was neighbor asking if the lost dog following her was mine. It wasn't. Both my houses have a sidelight, so I can see who's there and do a quick threat assessment.
I have a neighbor that hides, I can tell she's on the other side of the door looking thru the peephole but she doesn't answer. I don't take it personally I think she's just really solitary. I usually only knock for things like asking if her cable went out too, so I know if it's the whole area, or if they delivered one of her packages to my place by mistake.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:24 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Most people who live out here on the Frontier, don't bother with any of those "back-East" formalities. If we have friends, we drop by to see them. If we called ahead, they'd think something was wrong. Obviously, if we pulled up and they were having a big dinner party, we wouldn't bother them, but rarely would any of our friends not want to see us, whenever we came, if it was at reasonable hours.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:51 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
As much as I can't stand when that happens I always answer the door too. Unless its someone who simply isn't welcomed into my domain.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:11 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon harder View Post
I'm 27 year old dude, there is a 69 year old man that knocked on my door literally 90 times one day. By the 90th knock I figured it was an emergency so I answered. His reasoning was today would be his dead grandmothers 130th birthday and he wanted me to take him to a buffet lunch. I told him I was busy. Then one night at 10:40pm he knocked on my side door which is un common as the front door is the only door other knockers knock on. You can see into my whole house from the side door. When I opened the door he said his dog is running out of dog food and wanted to know if I could drive him to the farthest away store ever so he could use his 10% off coupons. Anyone think this old guy is rude? I personally think he is creepy! I put a serveylance camera by the side door so I can feel comfortable walking around in my boxers. Maybe he is an old gay predator or something. I'm straight lol
First, it's time to say "no" to this man. Apparently he refuses to respect the personal space of others.

Next, it's time to sit him down and have a talk with him....just b/c your neighbors, doesn't mean he is allowed to constantly depend on you for friendship. There is a woman in my neighborhood that is so clingy, so much so, if she is walking down the road, and you say one thing to her, as she passes, like hello, I'm getting ready to go on vacation, etc....now she believes that is an invitation for her to enter your personal life again. No, absolutely not. So, when she starts to call again, I do not answer the phone. Otherwise, she would call almost every day, ask you personal question....about your private life, and she is a very crude woman. So, I cut ties with her....

Next, if I were you, I'd put some kind of curtain up at that door....wouldn't want people to be able to walk up to it and look in....

regardless of the fact if he is a gay predator or not....he is old, and it sounds like he is lonely...but has to understand, that you are not interested in filling up his empty time.

I work full time, and it's difficult for older folks to realize, and remember the demanding schedule they once lived while working.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Most people who live out here on the Frontier, don't bother with any of those "back-East" formalities. If we have friends, we drop by to see them. If we called ahead, they'd think something was wrong. Obviously, if we pulled up and they were having a big dinner party, we wouldn't bother them, but rarely would any of our friends not want to see us, whenever we came, if it was at reasonable hours.
Hah. I don't think this is a "back east" formality. We used to drop in on people all the time when I was a kid in New Jersey. Often family, but often friends who we hadn't seen in a while and were passing by. If they were busy, we'd exchange pleasantries at the door and continue on our way. I'm in Colorado now, and I was thrilled when a friend (originally from Florida) dropped by yesterday afternoon and hung out for an hour or so chatting with me in my kitchen while I cooked for the week.

All of that said, this thread was on my mind. I wanted to tell my neighbor about work I was having done on my property that would have potentially affected hers as a courtesy. I knocked on her door in the evening (I don't have her phone number) and heard her television going, but she didn't answer the door. Now, I don't think she was ignoring me - I suspect she fell asleep in front of the TV. But I was thinking, this was just the kind of scenario where ignoring an unexpected caller would have kind of backfired. Luckily this was a minor issue, but she and I drop by each other's houses periodically to exchange information about the neighborhood and work we're having done on our properties. Either that or we yell it over the fence, lol.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:29 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
Everyone I know who would come over would text or call first. My doorbell goes to my phone so in case of an unannounced visitor I ask who it is and decide if I want to see the person on the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships