Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 03:15 PM

262 posts, read 546,596 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna explain this story in bullets, because it's kinda complicated. Feel free to ask questions if you must....

• Fall Semester 2012- I went to a local community college. In my English class, I decided to occasionally work with a guy who didn't have a partner. He was very quiet and kept to himself, and I only worked with him during group work because I also didn't have a partner.
  • Spring 2013- I failed that English class and I decided to transfer to another community college, because the one that I previously attended was giving me anxiety(that's another story for another day)...not because of him. So I wasn't attending any school until this fall semester, because I was busy thinking about what I was going to do with my life.
  • Fall Semester 2013- I have officially settled into a school that I am very comfortable with. I take the bus here, and it takes a bout an hour to reach my destination. I am retaking the English class that I failed at the previous CC, and the guy from the previous CC is also there.... How odd, right? I think it's odd, because that basically means he also failed that English class, and waited almost 8 months to go back to school.... the same school I'm attending.
On the first day of the semester, I waited for my next class in the lounge area. I was just minding my own business eating candy, then I notice him walking past me. At first I didn't pay any attention to him, so I blew it it off because I thought he was going to class, but then he walked passed 4 MORE TIMES.This building is big, so that means he just went in a big ass circle FOUR TIMES! Then he finally decided to sit down, and sits in the chair across from where I'm sitting. He just sat there and started writing things down in a notebook.

Anyways, we're constantly running into each other. This is a pretty big campus and I hardly bump into any of the other people I have classes with.

We don't really talk, but he once mumbled at me how we're always in the same area. I just nodded my head and kept it moving...

Yesterday in class, he gave me this look. I couldn't explain it, but it was just weird... He walked by my desk (I don't know why, I'm really oblivious) and before going to his desk, he looked dead at me. It was an expressionless look and it just made me wonder about this whole coincidence.

What do you guys think? Feel free to ask me questions...

At this point, I'm really just watching and observing his behavior. He's WAY more talkative now than he was at the other CC. But his outgoing persona seems forced, and kind of awkward... like that's not his real personality, and he's just putting up an act. He tries too hard to be funny, and I just find it obnoxious. He also grew his hair out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 03:34 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
It is just a coincidence that he showed up at the new school but now he is interested in you. It only becomes stalking if he shows up in places where he has no right to be and/or has not been invited.

I wonder about you youngsters who have grown up on social media. What you describe as stalking (my daughter says the same thing) is what everyone used to do to have initial contact with someone they thought they might be interested in.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:07 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
I would try to get into a new class if you can. Go talk to an advisor about it. It may be harmless, but trust your instincts. You can never be too careful.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:25 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It is just a coincidence that he showed up at the new school but now he is interested in you. It only becomes stalking if he shows up in places where he has no right to be and/or has not been invited.

I wonder about you youngsters who have grown up on social media. What you describe as stalking (my daughter says the same thing) is what everyone used to do to have initial contact with someone they thought they might be interested in.

They throw the word "stalker" around very loosely. If you see the same person more than once it's "oh, he/she is stalking me".

If they had a CLUE what "stalking" really is, I doubt they'd use the word so casually.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Maybe he is scared that you are stalking him since every time he turns around there you are.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe he is scared that you are stalking him since every time he turns around there you are.

I actually put this into thought, but pure doubt.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post

If they had a CLUE what "stalking" really is, I doubt they'd use the word so casually.
I'm not throwing it around loosely.

I just think it's weird that someone transferred schools the same exact time I did and is taking the same class I'm taking at the exact same time and day.

I mean, I was out of school for practically 7 months! I haven't even once thought about this guy until I saw him in school.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
They throw the word "stalker" around very loosely. If you see the same person more than once it's "oh, he/she is stalking me".

I agree with Amisi.

It probably was just a coincidence and he was pleasantly surprised to see you. He was probably too shy to approach you so he walked by you several times hoping that you would notice him and say something.

However, if you have a funny feeling in your gut and it just doesn't seem right perhaps you could transfer to a different English class.

But, if you haven't seen him in your neighborhood grocery store, in your front yard, at your favorite Starbucks, & at your part time job he probably isn't stalking you.

Years ago a friend of ours had a "real stalker". She once showed up at his private office at work at 11:00 at night and somehow had gotten through the locked front door of the building and the locked main door of his company and past several security guards to get to his office. He called the police and she was arrested. Now, that was stalking. BTW He was a grown man and said that he "so scared that he almost wet his pants". I can't even imagine the difficulties and fear of a female with an ex-husband or ex-boyfriend or any male stalker.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-04-2013 at 04:48 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 05:56 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).
Lol It could just be a coincidence that fascinated him to a point where he thinks it's a sign that you two are supposed to know each other and is lingering around you more to reconnect.

That said, I've had dangerous stalkers and harmless creepers and the harmless ones weren't any less disturbing and started off with a string of odd coincidences so I say don't worry about it but also take note of things and tuck them into your mental pocket just in case.

I agree with younger generations throwing stalker around but definitions change with the methods and these days, social networking happens to be a new method that people with stalker/obsessive personalities use so a lot of the folks younglings call stalkers are actually stalkers. Just cyber ones. That seeing the same person twice thing, though? Hilarious and true lol

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-10-2013 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-04-2013, 07:17 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
I'm gonna explain this story in bullets, because it's kinda complicated. Feel free to ask questions if you must....

• Fall Semester 2012- I went to a local community college. In my English class, I decided to occasionally work with a guy who didn't have a partner. He was very quiet and kept to himself, and I only worked with him during group work because I also didn't have a partner.
  • Spring 2013- I failed that English class and I decided to transfer to another community college, because the one that I previously attended was giving me anxiety(that's another story for another day)...not because of him. So I wasn't attending any school until this fall semester, because I was busy thinking about what I was going to do with my life.
  • Fall Semester 2013- I have officially settled into a school that I am very comfortable with. I take the bus here, and it takes a bout an hour to reach my destination. I am retaking the English class that I failed at the previous CC, and the guy from the previous CC is also there.... How odd, right? I think it's odd, because that basically means he also failed that English class, and waited almost 8 months to go back to school.... the same school I'm attending.
On the first day of the semester, I waited for my next class in the lounge area. I was just minding my own business eating candy, then I notice him walking past me. At first I didn't pay any attention to him, so I blew it it off because I thought he was going to class, but then he walked passed 4 MORE TIMES.This building is big, so that means he just went in a big ass circle FOUR TIMES! Then he finally decided to sit down, and sits in the chair across from where I'm sitting. He just sat there and started writing things down in a notebook.

Anyways, we're constantly running into each other. This is a pretty big campus and I hardly bump into any of the other people I have classes with.

We don't really talk, but he once mumbled at me how we're always in the same area. I just nodded my head and kept it moving...

Yesterday in class, he gave me this look. I couldn't explain it, but it was just weird... He walked by my desk (I don't know why, I'm really oblivious) and before going to his desk, he looked dead at me. It was an expressionless look and it just made me wonder about this whole coincidence.

What do you guys think? Feel free to ask me questions...

At this point, I'm really just watching and observing his behavior. He's WAY more talkative now than he was at the other CC. But his outgoing persona seems forced, and kind of awkward... like that's not his real personality, and he's just putting up an act. He tries too hard to be funny, and I just find it obnoxious. He also grew his hair out...

It sounds like coincidence. And it sounds like he is shy and awkward. And he recognizes that he's shy and awkward, had a previous professional/scholastic relationship with you, and is trying to be more social and less shy and awkward. It may be that you're the only person he knows there. Maybe he's interested in you romantically, maybe not.

True stalking is psychological battery. This doesn't sound like that. If he starts showing up at work and the drycleaner and other stuff, and you generally feel unsafe, it becomes a different situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships