Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 AM

8 posts, read 4,932 times

Advertisements

that you can put together to create a larger table? Like to sit four people? Or you can separate them if you are only going to have one other person or be there by yourself? I have also seen this at Panera Bread.

So this morning it was really crowded in Starbucks. And I didn't want to sit facing the window because even with the shades down, the light was blinding and would make it hard to use the 'puter. So I saw a woman sitting at a table alone and asked her if she was expecting anyone. She mentioned a friend and I said "But what about this table?" and I showed her by pulling it away from hers. I could tell by her expression that she thought I was a bit nuts so I decided to just find somewhere else to sit.

The reason I ask is that I am very considerate about this sort of thing. Even if there is not a crowd, if I am sitting at a table which has another one pushed next to it, I separate them in case someone else wants to use it. So I was a bit put out by the fact that she didn't say "Oh sure!" and helped me push the table herself. She knew the place was crowded.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 AM

624 posts, read 939,580 times
Maybe she just hadn't had her coffee yet.

I've given up on expecting courtesy or support of courtesy from other people, though I will continue to always be courteous. I've also made a personal project of not analyzing or allowing myself to be affected by people's little behaviors like this, but man, it can be an effort. Not claiming I've perfected it whatsoever. So I get it. I really do. Little encounters can stick with me if I let them swim around in my head. Step one: Try not to let things swim around. Put yourself in the next moment and stay on that track until something of more import/consequence comes along to occupy your mind.

It was morning, the place was busy, she was alone and probably zoning out or distracted. All factors that can make a person not think or respond at their best. At least she didn't snark at you. Point for her, right?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:03 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Good morning April. Maybe you should stop spending your days in Starbucks. You run into too many people who upset your aura.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
Maybe she just hadn't had her coffee yet.

I've given up on expecting courtesy or support of courtesy from other people, though I will continue to always be courteous. I've also made a personal project of not analyzing or allowing myself to be affected by people's little behaviors like this, but man, it can be an effort. Not claiming I've perfected it whatsoever. So I get it. I really do. Little encounters can stick with me if I let them swim around in my head. Step one: Try not to let things swim around. Put yourself in the next moment and stay on that track until something of more import/consequence comes along to occupy your mind.

It was morning, the place was busy, she was alone and probably zoning out or distracted. All factors that can make a person not think or respond at their best. At least she didn't snark at you. Point for her, right?
You know, I guess I was second-guessing my own "aggressiveness" because I physically got in her space to show her how the tables could be parted. I felt that I was imposing my will on her and the fact that she didn't respond made me back off. I felt a bit bad about it and just tried to find another spot.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Talking Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Good morning April. Maybe you should stop spending your days in Starbucks. You run into too many people who upset your aura.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships