U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 PM

1,757 posts, read 3,333,452 times

Advertisements

I sent out a couple of friend requests to coworkers a day or two ago. They have not accepted them. I am curious what the best way is of handling this at work? Just ignore it? I know asking them would be borderline psychotic.

I see these people 12-14 hours a day, and my work everyone is friends with everyone else since we're all so close in age 20s-30s.

And I doubt it was because they don't go on often, as smartphones, etc. allow people to get notifications right away.

And canceling the request is useless, since they probably got notified by email of the request.

I figure the best is just to shrug my shoulders and act as if it never happened.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 07:47 PM

13,917 posts, read 13,250,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I sent out a couple of friend requests to coworkers a day or two ago. They have not accepted them. I am curious what the best way is of handling this at work? Just ignore it? I know asking them would be borderline psychotic.

I see these people 12-14 hours a day, and my work everyone is friends with everyone else since we're all so close in age 20s-30s.

And I doubt it was because they don't go on often, as smartphones, etc. allow people to get notifications right away.

And canceling the request is useless, since they probably got notified by email of the request.

I figure the best is just to shrug my shoulders and act as if it never happened.
You should just ignore it. Some people just aren't comfortable adding coworkers. Don't take it personally.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM

5,476 posts, read 6,550,152 times
Assuming youre talking about facebook freinds requests, some people only befriend close friends or family. Im not FB friends with a single person i work with, yet we get along great. There may be a conflict of interest seeing what someone does in their free time or on weekends etc etc. Just forget about it, its nothing really worth thinking about. If they accept fine, if not great.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:48 PM

44,134 posts, read 54,250,117 times
Lots of people like to keep work and life separate.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:49 PM

9,315 posts, read 8,681,629 times
I agree with your last line. My boss, his wife and my coworker are all on FB but I have no desire for them to be on my FB page. They are "work friends" but not people I get together with outside of work and I prefer to keep work and personal life separate.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 PM

1,757 posts, read 3,333,452 times
The only caveat is that I made sure I had mutual friends with these people I requested. The mutual friends were of course - other coworkers!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,176,699 times
Yeah, ignore it. It's not personal. I made the mistake of accepting friend requests from everyone at my old office, including my boss, and it was awkward. Work should be separate from non-work, FB keeps changing its privacy policies. Had a few cringe-worthy comments.

They're still all on my friends list, but now that I work elsewhere, they can actually be friends I can complain about work to!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,069,754 times
Quote:

Shrugging it off is best. Not a good idea to **** where you eat.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 PM

13,917 posts, read 13,250,304 times
Quote:
The only caveat is that I made sure I had mutual friends with these people I requested. The mutual friends were of course - other coworkers!
I have two coworkers on my FB friends list and about three former coworkers. I'm not that close to them, but I don't post personal stuff so I'm not too worried about them snooping. I rarely ever send friend requests, but the times I have, I had to be pretty certain that they would be accepted. I can't deal with the rejection!

Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 PM

46,247 posts, read 44,584,895 times
Quote:

^^^^^^

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships