Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:04 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,319,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Recently, my boyfriend befriended a guy from college who is 23.... helped him get a job at his store where he met this girl. I have met and befriended the guy as well, but haven't met the girl. They had a two month relationship where she broke up with him and got back together with him once. He kept making statements to my boyfriend about how he would be the breadwinner of the union and that stuff, so I guess he was serious or something.

Anyway, she broke up with him. He poured a bottle of water in her gas tank. Now it's on facebook that she had to take her car to the shop and had to report vandalism to her insurance company because luckily she had full coverage. It's not really my place to tell her who did it and do hope it doesn't cause her premiums to go up or something.

On all levels, this is wrong. I have told him to essentially grow up because a two month relationship doesn't mean that much and that if someone broke up with him once, he shouldn't have gotten emotionally invested in her the way that he did. However, all he wants to do is talk about how hurt he feels and how you can't quantify a feeling with the duration of time. I guess I get that, but still seems like a bit of an overreaction.

What can you say to someone to show them a little sympathy, while still thinking they're absolutely psycho? I feel like he is taking it worse that his friends also show no sympathy.
I think you need to distance yourself from this guy. He is a ticking time bomb.

The girl probably broke it off with him because he became too clingy too soon. Classic control freak and stalker material. I feel bad for the girl getting her car damaged because this guy is a POS. I think you should tell her, so he will go to jail for it. That is a crime.

Yep, I would unfriend him and move on. You don't know the guy other than what you've seen, and so far you've seen he has vindictive violent tendencies. Get away from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,213,411 times
He's 23, he's old enough to know better. Some people are just like this and while it is rather noble that your boyfriend thinks he can fix what parents, teachers, and every other person in his life apparently couldn't, you guys are going to be on the wrong end of his crazy one day. I don't know how you can be friends with someone who does terrible things.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM

^^^ This x1000

Old 10-10-2013, 01:20 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,717,567 times
Yeah, from what I know about the kid's backstory is that his parents have probably sheltered him and coddled him. At 23, he has still never had a full time job or lived on his own away from his parents... so I don't think anyone has ever really questioned the things that he has done to people. He might have a little only child syndrome, maybe?

I really don't like what he did and part of me really wants to tell her so that way she can look into ways to take care of herself. If he is willing to put water in her gas tank to try to destroy her car, I get the impression that he is probably not above stalking her. he said he is freaking out and knows it was a bad thing to do...but i think he just doesn't want to get caught more than he thinks he shouldn't have done that and it was wrong.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah, from what I know about the kid's backstory is that his parents have probably sheltered him and coddled him. At 23, he has still never had a full time job or lived on his own away from his parents... so I don't think anyone has ever really questioned the things that he has done to people. He might have a little only child syndrome, maybe?

I really don't like what he did and part of me really wants to tell her so that way she can look into ways to take care of herself. If he is willing to put water in her gas tank to try to destroy her car, I get the impression that he is probably not above stalking her. he said he is freaking out and knows it was a bad thing to do...but i think he just doesn't want to get caught more than he thinks he shouldn't have done that and it was wrong.
My best friend in my 20s was an only child and while she was spoiled rotten, she did not intentionally do damage to people's cars because of a breakup.

This kid needs a wake-up call and I think a quick trip to jail is just what the doctor ordered.

If he gets away with it now, what will he be brave enough to do next time?

Please at the very least tell the chick so she can protect herself from him.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:27 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,717,567 times
Yeah, part of me wants to tell her.... but would it be weird coming from someone who doesn't even know her, just knows about her?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, part of me wants to tell her.... but would it be weird coming from someone who doesn't even know her, just knows about her?
Put yourself in her place. I would definitely appreciate the heads up.

I would just FB her a message saying something like, "You don't know me but my boyfriend is friends with your ex and he's the one who put water in your gas tank, and he is still talking nutty stuff about you. Just wanted you to be aware that he seems kinda unbalanced, in case he tries something else."

Old 10-10-2013, 02:17 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,156,955 times
Quote:
She probably already has an inkling of who did it, simply because of the timing: Break up with guy ---> water in the gas tank ---> probably the guy.

Thing is, unless you have proof, you're just getting into a he said/she said situation.

However, if you feel compelled, tell her to have the police look into it. Maybe the guy's prints are still on the car in incriminating places.

What a douchecanoe that guy is!

Old 10-10-2013, 02:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,968,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I wouldn't want to be friends with somebody who pours water in somebodys tank.
Exactly. Don't have any more to do with this guy than you have to. He could do it to you next. This guy is at least very immature. I also question your BF's involvement with him. He should be cutting ties too.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:54 AM

806 posts, read 2,334,524 times
Are you people CRAZY?? Don't suggest that she tell on him.. He is going to know who told then get some sort of revenge on her or her boyfriend. They are probably the only two people he has told..
Just cut all ties with him and insist your bf does the same.
Get far away from that mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships