Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 AM

23 posts, read 56,894 times

Advertisements

I’ll try to keep this short and list the facts & events as they happen. I’m at my wits end with my family and don’t want to cut them off but I don’t really see any other options.

My family is toxic. They live in their own little world and bring turmoil to everyone they touch and it starting to affect my children to the point I want to cut all ties with them.

I’m married to Sue, my 2nd wife, Sue and we have no children together. I have my children from my first marriage, my daughter Anna, 20, lives with my first wife very close by and my son Jason lives with my wife Sue & I. Jason is 15 and has some special needs. He’s ADD and has anxiety problems that he takes medication for and sees a counselor. I fought for custody of him from my ex-wife Nancy and the courts gave him to Sue & me in 2009. At that time he’d missed an entire year of school due to mental health & physical problems, tried to commit suicide at age 11 at least four times and was an emotional wreck. The courts saw this too and granted me custody and his mom has visitation. We’ve had him just over 4 years and he’s doing marvelously! He’s a B student, his social skills have gotten better but we continue to battle some of the anxiety problems. He has all the symptoms of Asperger’s Syndrome but we had him tested and the doctors say no. Jason needs to be in a very stable, routine, loving environment. The doctors say it, we’ve done it and he’s done well…when he’s home.

He visits his mom, my ex-wife Nancy about once a week. His relationship with her is so-so. She can’t keep a job, lives in a rundown apartment and is always looking for someone to bail her out financially. I still pay her child support because my daughter Anna is in college & still lives there. She often calls trying to get the child support heck a week early to make ends meet. She is on ok person but one of the most laziest & unmotivated people I have ever known. I try very hard not to say anything about Nancy in front of Jason because I don’t want it to influence his relationship with his mother. My mother has a great relation with my ex and I’m sure they always commiserate. She’s always giving my ex money to “make ends meet” knowing she’ll never see it again. My daughter Anna is in her 2nd year of college and I see her becoming increasing unmotivated, no job and doing lousy at school. (She could have come & lived with Sue & I a few yrs back but chose to live with her Mom – our relationship is ok at best)

My mother lives close by too. My adult brother still lives at home (never left), has no job or motivation and my sister lives right next-door with her third husband. There’s an odd relationship…they knew each other for 2 months and have been married for about a month. I met Ken, her current husband once, at their wedding last month. (I give you the background on all these relationships to show you how everybody lives right on top of each other and everybody is in each other’s business…all the time!!)

My mother and father split after 35 years of marriage about 10 years ago and my mother resents that I still have a relationship with my father. She routinely talks smack about him on front of everybody. Her family has money and I’ve never taken a dime of it, don’t want it and this bothers her. I put myself through school, graduate school and left the house 18 years old only returning to the area to finish graduate school about 10 years ago.

My son went to stay at my mother’s for the weekend so he can play with his cousins next -door. My sisters boys are a couple of years younger than he is and a little immature for their age and there is no discipline there at my mother’s & sister’s houses. I will only let him visit there for 2 days MAX because I feel like we have to un-do whatever he learned while he is over there. I hardly go there because I can’t stand the insanity.

My mother & my wife do not get along because my wive (and I) hate how my family is the type to be in everyone’s business about everything. There are no boundaries. My son will tell me how they talk about my sister’s first & second husbands right in front of the kids and my son often mentions how the kids run wild through the house & misbehave. My family is very huggy, kissy and my wife Sue is not like that. She’s not comfortable with public displays of affection but is a warm & wonderful person when you know her. My wife Sue is cordial around my family, like at my sister’s wedding last month but will not go out of the way for them because they are “users”.

So this weekend my son goes there and after a few hours he texts messages that he doesn’t like my wife & his step-mom Sue, how he doesn’t respect her and finally ends it with “I’m not his father and he doesn’t look up to me anymore”. I’m like HUH?? I drove right out here and picked him up at midnight to bring him home. Enough of this crap! Who knows what kind of chaos is going on out there and a child should not talk disrespectful about their parents. He wouldn’t talk to me like that in person and isn’t going to do it because he’s not home. As we’re getting his stuff and leaving my brother-in-law (my sister’s 3rd husband) is telling me I’m an idiot and I’m raising my son all wrong. He says this RIGHT in front of my son and I’ve known my brother-in-law for what, a few months and met him once??! He’s bigger than I am but I did many years in the Marine Corp and he started to step in front of me as Jason & I exited my mother’s house but I gave him a “look” and my brother (who lives there too) knows what’d happen if he didn’t diffuse that rather quickly moved in to usher Ken, the new brother-in-law, out of the doorway quickly.

As Jason & I drove away from my mother’s house after midnight he was in tears and said he didn’t mean those things, he felt so bad about what he’d said about his & my relationship and how he just wanted everybody to get along. I don’t want to have him in that toxic, backstabbing cesspool at my mother’s house but I don’t want to keep him from the only family he really has? I will not have my nephews over because they’re wild and my mother won’t come over because she doesn’t like my wife.

Sorry it’s so long. What would you do? There is no wining, only different degrees of losing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 5,798 times
There is total winning. It's called peace of mind. Why would this be a question for you whatsoever. They ARE toxic, your son is obviously impressionable and it's not a healthy place for him to be, especially given his past issues.

Yes, it's a bit sticky with the family but I would not hestitate telling them precisely WHY you will not allow this poison in your son's life. Of course you would be respectful, not raise your voice, but firmly tell them in a detailed way why they are hurting your son.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,008,619 times
have any visits at your house.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 AM

23 posts, read 56,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissed on raw View Post
There is total winning. It's called peace of mind. Why would this be a question for you whatsoever. They ARE toxic, your son is obviously impressionable and it's not a healthy place for him to be, especially given his past issues.

Yes, it's a bit sticky with the family but I would not hestitate telling them precisely WHY you will not allow this poison in your son's life. Of course you would be respectful, not raise your voice, but firmly tell them in a detailed way why they are hurting your son.

Thanks, I think you're right. It's hard to pull him away from them because he's so attached but harder to let him continue to visit.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajoe911 View Post
I don’t want to have him in that toxic, backstabbing cesspool at my mother’s house but I don’t want to keep him from the only family he really has? I will not have my nephews over because they’re wild and my mother won’t come over because she doesn’t like my wife.
You already know the answer...if the only family he really has is a toxic backstabbing cesspool, how are you doing him any favors by exposing him to that? He doesn't need them. Drop them. Your son's needs are far more important.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 AM

634 posts, read 708,332 times
Did you're so never explain why he texted you and said the things that he said?

Anyway, your side of the family has enmeshment issues. You should google mother son enmeshment to better understand enmeshment with your siblings and your Mother. It will give you a peace of mind because you will see that their relationships are completely unhealthy for them and for anyone else involved.

As a parent , your no. 1 priority is to your son. He sounds like a great kid. I understand your want and need for him to know his family - your family. BUT, think about why you left your family so early in life and why you yourself don't want to be in their lives. It's obvious it's because you find them toxic to you. Would you want that for your son? If there is a relationship to be had by the cousins, they will form by itself when they are older especially with the access of technology. However, if you are adamant about him seeing his cousins, then you should maybe limit it to just one day and be there with him.

I don't advocate cutting off ties to family unless it is completely necessary. We are all flawed and families are flawed. The older I get the more I understand that the only healthy families are not families without issues but families who can set boundaries and move on with an honest relationship. For example, my father is a very self centered man. I know this and accept him as who he is. I know he exists independent of me and changing him is not an option. But when I visit my parents, I don't judge him. He is who he is. When he behaves in an unacceptable way, I speak my mind and that is all that I can do and I move on. I don't rehash past grievances and hold it against him. It's hard but he is my children's grandfather. He loves them and they him. Unless he was harming them intentionally, would I remove my kids from his presence. It's important that my children see that families are what they are and not just only show the positive sides or sugarcoat it.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:01 PM

451 posts, read 769,453 times
Family doesn't get an unlimited pass to be jerks. Toxic people you're related to are still toxic. Your main job here is to do what is best for your son. Contact with those people doesn't sound like what is best for him, shared genes or not.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM

303 posts, read 539,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
You already know the answer...if the only family he really has is a toxic backstabbing cesspool, how are you doing him any favors by exposing him to that? He doesn't need them. Drop them. Your son's needs are far more important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Family doesn't get an unlimited pass to be jerks. Toxic people you're related to are still toxic. Your main job here is to do what is best for your son. Contact with those people doesn't sound like what is best for him, shared genes or not.

I second these. It can be hard to cut off blood relatives, I did it a few years ago. It still sucks when Mothers Day comes around because I don't have mine anymore thanks to that. But, what I do have is my father's side of the family who is loving and wonderful, and a grandmother and stepmother who fill the mother gap for me. You DO NOT deserve to be treated that way, no matter how related to you they are. And, your son doesn't either. It will take a lot of courage to do but I think you know it's the best solution. Plus, it's not like you won't have any one left. You'll have your children, your wife, and her family. That's still something. I wish you the best!

Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,734 times
Like others have said, your son is your #1 priority and it actually sounds like you know what you need to do. I think if not on a permanent basis, at least on a temporary basis- cut all contact off from the toxic family and let them simmer for a while. If there is a relationship to be mended and if they honestly care about having your son in their lives, they will contact you to ask whats going on. At that point, you can (calmly) explain to them what happened and your reasoning and explain what you expect from them if they want to continue to have a relationship with your son. They know the difficulties he experienced in the past and really shouldnt be putting him in that kind of dramatic environment. Ideally, it would be the best if you can almost supervise their visitations by them taking place at your house.

Good luck! It is hard to let go of family, but as people mature...sometimes they realize what theyre missing and will let go of alot of the nonsense to just have you/your son back in their lives....and if they dont then you know that you did what is best for you and your son because you guys dont matter too much to them if the drama takes precedence.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
I grew up in a rural "community" of mixed-race people. A good many of them were distantly related to us. There were three families of 'winners': the School Superintendent, the 'Boss Bootlegger', and the 'High Yellow' Black family who owned the plantation, at the back of which sat our home - an abandoned sharecropper's shack.

And there were a few white ladies, who'd drive in from elsewhere, to work at the school. Not sure I'd characterize them as 'winners': I mean, they bought their little diamond chip jewelry out of a catalogue from a place in Memphis - on installment plans. But I wouldn't call them 'losers', either.

The rest of the community were a bunch of losers. It was a world of Camaros, Trans-Ams, trailers with tires on the top, chain-link fences, blacklight posters, lavalamps, paintings-on-velvet, drug use, alcoholism, acquaintance rape, molestation, wife-beating...

My Great-Grandmother had chosen to have babies by a peddler who'd come through the community every now and then. He was a newly-arrived Russian Jew, with an IQ roughly double that of the other sperm donors in the vicinity. About half her kids were by him. The other half were by locals. Except for my Grandmother, the kids with the good genes (uncles), fled the state as soon as they were old enough. They ended up in places like Atlanta, and got rich. But they were gone from our lives. I didn't know about them, until years after I'd, myself, gone for good.

So, there was I, an unusually ugly kid, in a tarpaper shack without running water, with a dying Great-Grandmother, a dying Grandmother, and a substance-abusing Mom. I waited on them, and took their belittling comments, as soon as I was old enough to walk. Then, there were the relatives scattered across the woods. While most of the guys in the community were shapeless lumps, or scrawny, swarthy, 'Ricky types' (a 'Ricky' is a Redneck who isn't all-white), my cousins tended to look like Channing Tatum (a part-Indian from our region) http://media2.intoday.in/indiatoday/...1612111932.jpg or like Gary Taylor, another fitness model from a place not too far from our home http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...is-d5ihjey.jpg

My cousins were in on the "initiating" of girls, out in the woods. The boys, football "heroes" all, would do the deed, while the older girls would hold clothes over the initiates' mouths, to muffle their screams. I'm sure it was cousin-on-cousin, at times, given the interrelations in the neighborhood. Lucky for me, I was the poorest and the ugliest, from the most wretched household. I was "left-out".

But my extended family had the looks to get into all the trouble they wanted to. And their contempt for me knew no bounds. Not only was I ugly: I'd been the sole beneficiary of a second genetic jackpot. My 'Real Daddy' was a Sicilian who'd known my Mom, from her brief moment as the prettiest hooker at the Tivoli Hotel, in Biloxi. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tel_Biloxi.jpg He had gaming operations in the area, and he'd swing by. Not that I ever knew him: but he was smart, aggressive, and ambitious. Personality traits are highly heritable.

So, I was ridiculed for being ambitious - for being smart - for digging old Town & Country and New Yorker magazines out of the garbage of the two 'rich' houses in 'Town' (the intersection of two rural highways). And I was ridiculed for sneaking out to the woods to read them. One of Mom's tricks had dragged an old Buick Electra out to the woods, so she'd have a place to work. And when she wasn't there, I'd use the car for homework, and to read my magazines. I figured I'd never be rich. But the more I learned about those rich people out there - somewhere - the closer I'd come to being able to work for them, or be near them, or something.

Family never encouraged me. Instead, when I'd let it slip I was thinking about college, I'd hear. "Gal... you ain't goin' no-whur but ta tha Crazy House. You ain't goin' ta no "college".

But my family wasn't counting on the nice white ladies up ta tha school. It was they who took it upon themselves to get me IQ-tested, and to point out that while my grades were pretty bad, my ACT score was the highest in my class, and as a Native American, I was eligible for all sorts of financial help.

So, one day, I snuck out to the road, carrying a paper bag with a few belongings. One of the white ladies from the school was there, with a suitcase she'd bought me, filled with what little in the way of basic toiletries and such she and two other white ladies could afford to give me. And she drove me up to College.

And that was the end of my life as "that ugly skag". I somehow managed to major in Economics (despite having never heard of 'majors'), and somehow had the moxy to request a bodybuilding course, first semester. (I was supposed to take "Health"). I wanted to look better, and knew the rich ladies lifted weights at 'Spas'. And there HE was: surrounded by all these gorgeous blond jocks was the ugliest boy I'd ever laid eyes on - every bit as pitiful and poor and swarthy and rural and ridiculed for being smart I had been. One thing led to another, and I was pregnant and married. And after a few months of improved nutrition, vitamins, and bodybuilding (and love), neither of us was ugly, anymore. In fact, he had a late-onset growth spurt, and turned out to be stunning.

We got good degrees, then more degrees... usual upward trajectory... and ended up moving from the richest town in Mississippi, to the richest town in Oregon.

Germane to this thread is the fact that I left that shack without saying goodbye. And I stayed gone - stayed out of touch. Call it 'desertion'. Call it 'heartless'. Call it whatever. DH and the kids have never been to the part of Mississippi where I grew up. They've never met any of those relatives. I did not want there to be any chance of their becoming infected with the worthlessness of the people I'd left behind. I did not want the poisons from those people damaging those I loved.

I'll go back, for funerals. But I take a bodyguard, not my Husband. I hear there are whispers about the "strange men" I'm seen with. "Thur's another one of 'em, evur tahm she come up here. I hear she has ta pay 'em. Yeew know she used ta work for that ol' Bootlegger, back when she wuz little. Used ta count tha money for him. Looka that kowhr they done drove up in. Now, I guess she's doin somethin bad, over in Jackson." (I sure don't tell them I live in Oregon, now...)

The point is that sometimes you have to make a clean break. And sometimes you have to protect those you love from those to whom you are merely related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships