Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times

Advertisements

My late stepson met me when he was 14 and we got along beautifully. I still have Mother's Day cards he gave me. His mom and dad were civil and I got along fine with his mom, too. He and his dad and I went on a lot of camping and biological field trips together and he was always such fun to have with us, with a hilarious sense of humor. He died in 1994 and not a day goes by that I don't miss him. Maybe we were unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:29 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
My parents divorced and both remarried.

My stepmother is a saint.

Stepfather?

Y'all know the old adage:

If ya can't say anything good about someone........

Old 10-18-2013, 10:46 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
I married my 2nd husband when my kids were 8 and 10. He had no children of his own and made it clear he did not want to make any. He had very little empathy for my boys and was very harsh and critical towards them. I had been a single parent for 7 years and had my own discipline style - far different from his. The way he related to my sons made me dislike him more and more and eventually I left the marriage. They, nor I, have any contact with him now. He didn't build on a father/son relationship so they have no desire or need to consider him a stepfather.

Some people are not meant to be parents and should not enter in a relationship with someone who has children.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:03 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
Abe Lincoln would have said "yes."

Old 10-18-2013, 02:39 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
My "step"sister (I use quotes as I consider her my sister) has a close and wonderful relationship with my Dad. She calls him Dad and talks to him several times a week. She is close to her stepmother (married to her real dad) as well and visits them frequently. So it does work for some.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:49 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
The divorce rate between a parent and a non parent is VERY high, somewhere around 80% I believe. Why? many reasons but partly because of the issues involved with the kids. I've seen the worst situations with step parenting, between the financial aspects such as the step parent forced to support the stepchildren and often the former spouse to the drama, from the ex to the kids hating the new spouse and blaming them for the divorce.

There is no way I would ever date let alone marry a divorced dad, even grown kids can be a problem.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,957,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
My stepmother was a wonderful woman, I had her in my life since I was 4. I saw her as my own mother, couldn't wait to plan my wedding with her around, etc. She supported me and taught me a lot about life. Unfortunately we lost her YOUNG to cancer last year, but I just loved that woman. She was one of my best friends. My step siblings, I'd put a lot on the line for them. I love my whole family so much! Thank God her and my father got married, they are what I want my future marriage to be.

FYI, they came together with a lot of awful circumstances going on, so we went through a lot together. There was a good two year period where I wasn't speaking with my father. She brought us back together. I hope to see her again someday.
I'm curious about the circumstances regarding your birth mother.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 PM

878 posts, read 942,168 times
Default To answer OP's question...

No.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I'm curious about the circumstances regarding your birth mother.
Oh, I love her very much, she'll always be my mother, but we are very different people. We went through a lot together when my parents split, I didn't feel as if she was the parent in the situation (I was). I'm grown now, but there is just a lot that time can't erase, especially considering she hasn't completely overcome some of her "old" ways.

My parents both have a past that they aren't proud of, they both caused our family a LOT of pain. My father has shown his change over the years, while my mother is still coming through her storm. It doesn't pain me any longer like it used to. She IS making changes, however we aren't there yet.

I see it as I was lucky enough to have my stepmother in my life, and hopefully my mother becomes the woman she wants to be. Her and my father were just awful together though. I think it took a woman like my stepmother for him to "wake up". I love my parents (and who they have become) more now than I did years ago. My stepmothers death definitely made me see thinks differently, and I'm really trying to be there for my mother more than I was in the past. Hopefully that'll help things.

I also hope my father marries again, or at least partners up. I'd hate to see him be alone (unless he wanted to be of course). I don't think anyone could ever replace my stepmother and their love, however if he genuinely fell in love, I'd try and make her feel as welcome as possible. I also think he's too "old" and experienced to fall for any BS at this point, but we'll see.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:06 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
I know of step family situations in my immediate family and then those of my friends and other distant relatives over the years. In about 80-85 percent of the situations, the "blended" family did not work out so well for many reasons. So for the vast majority of the time, I would say No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships