Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 PM

40 posts, read 44,756 times

Advertisements

Are you of the practice of still continuing to visit or attend family functions of your EX or your Ex-Spouse's family (especially if you have a child/children with your Ex) considering you still maintain a healthy/friendly relationship with their family and they invite you?

If so, do you still attend these events or go visit, if your EX has moved on to another relationship or has gotten re-married? If so, is the new spouse or significant other receptive of you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 12:39 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Rivers Cutie View Post

If so, do you still attend these events or go visit
No.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:52 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,063 times
My xMIL and I are friends. We talk on the phone at least once a month, she comes to my house occasionally, and I've been to hers. Her son has remarried and so have I. Our kids are 4 and 7. I don't usually go to the family events, although I've been invited, out of respect for the new wife, who is a very sweet woman.

My xH cut off all contact with my family when we divorced.

My parents divorced when I was a teenager. My father's mother sided with my mom (she thought my dad was being a big fat idiot and told him so), and over my dad's objection they stayed very close. Grandma told dad's next wife that she would be a great MIL to her but wasn't giving up my mom. Mom didn't go to family events at Grandma's unless Dad wasn't going to be there. Grandma is always invited to Mom's holiday dinners, and her oldest son comes sometimes too.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
No.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,094,372 times
No. I only saw his family if they were picking up my son at our house.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,691 times
My ex-stepson invited me to take part in his wedding. This past summer we spent the afternoon with my x-H and his wife with our grown children (and our children) along with the grandchildren that we are all grandparents for. We are cordial if not friendly with the x- and his wife. We were divorced 21 years ago - I can handle spending an afternoon together.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
Quote:
Are you of the practice of still continuing to visit or attend family functions of your EX or your Ex-Spouse's family (especially if you have a child/children with your Ex) considering you still maintain a healthy/friendly relationship with their family and they invite you?

If so, do you still attend these events or go visit, if your EX has moved on to another relationship or has gotten re-married? If so, is the new spouse or significant other receptive of you?
No, I have as little to do with my ex as I can and nothing to do with his family.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:20 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Nope.

It's a drag when folks take sides during and after a breakup.......too many bad things were done & said for any kind of reconciliation to be made.

What a shame, really.

But I do know a guy that's divorced and still lives with his ex. They seem to make it work, even though they sleep in separate bedrooms.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 PM

878 posts, read 941,871 times
Good gawd, no, I'd rather be raped in prison.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:

I did and still do. But I've known them for over 50 years. My ex passed away in 1982 and he...and "new spouse"...didn't attend any get togethers that I did. We had four kids that needed to be close to their dad's family and I was all for that. We are all still good friends to this day and I attended a big family reunion last year. I'll go to the next one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships