Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 07:36 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,255 times

Advertisements

Seeing mentions of playing video games in threads as if it's a non-social activity and posts about the relationships people build online in forums or on dating sites, I wondered. Who here has made friends or even met their significant other through gaming? Online gaming, gaming related events offline, doesn't matter.

I have a bunch of buddies I've known for years who I met as gamers and some of them met their current spouses through games. How about you video game players out there? How social an activity has gaming been for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
Ah yes... it's a nice feeling meeting someone with similar interests when you're surrounded by everyone else who's rat-racing towards the status quo for some kind of social acceptance. Back in my teens and 20s people looked down at these kind of relationships by calling them "pathetic". This generation though are almost indifferent... which has made me very envious, that I can't lie about.

Most women I met via one online game I've played for years are usually taken anyway, I didn't play to pursue women, just to grind and get "loots". The relationship is only a perk if you two get along. Just like in real life, female players will have a lot of callers vying for her attention even if she's in a relationship lol. I've watched many male players break down in despair if they get turned down or find out she is in a relationship, like end of the world depression. It kills the mood when the rest of us are just playing the game to enjoy it.

However it's not always bliss, been in the midst of some nasty breakups in-game but such is life.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
I made two friends through an MMPORG.

None of us play that game anymore, but we're still in touch.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:46 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Ugh. My husband's online friends take him away from his family and his real friends. I resent it, frankly.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:15 AM

It's great to see some of you made some friends from the gaming scene! It's a really casual way of meeting people while having fun at the same time. I don't do chatrooms or spend time on social media so gaming has really been the only way I meet people online anymore. Even message boards like this one are rare for me to be on.

Sorry, Kab, I do have some buddies who make me wonder when the heck they're spending time with their families as much as they're on so I feel for ya' *hug*

Old 10-21-2013, 05:26 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Ugh. My husband's online friends take him away from his family and his real friends. I resent it, frankly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
It's great to see some of you made some friends from the gaming scene! It's a really casual way of meeting people while having fun at the same time. I don't do chatrooms or spend time on social media so gaming has really been the only way I meet people online anymore. Even message boards like this one are rare for me to be on.

Sorry, Kab, I do have some buddies who make me wonder when the heck they're spending time with their families as much as they're on so I feel for ya' *hug*
I do agree with cyberphonics' point about how relationships can come about (both platonic & romantic) through online gaming.
Such stories can be encouraging to the many people who desire to connect with each other through the convenience of the internet.
I'm all for people getting together in ways that bring harmony, comradeship, emotional bonds-despite their being separated by physical distance.

However, I also have the personal anecdote of how my ex-husband left me by meeting a girl while playing SIMS online with her.
But, to be fair, he was going to leave me anyway, so this just happened to be the way he did it (found someone else).
I still don't like The SIMS, though.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I still don't like The SIMS, though.
Heh Yeah, it can definitely be a place where people connect romantically. I had a guy fall for me that I met through gaming. Took him a couple of years to get over it but he did. The majority have just become good buddies, though. I think the gaming aspect adds another element to distract from just being overly personal, too. It can be a safe zone for people who want to make new friends but in a setting where they can pull back from that personal aspect and still feel included and together.

I haven't had as much time to play games as I'd like lately so I'm looking forward to getting back on and "meeting up" with all of my online buddies again for hours of laughter, catching up, and shooting (see; Ghosts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships